My BX16 TRS smashed.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default My BX16 TRS smashed.

Just got home from having a car accident on the Story Bridge. Just as I get on the bridge going north a Magna decides to cut across two lanes straight in front of my bumper and then hits the breaks when they noticed a parked abandoned Jeep. Nowhere to go, crunch. My poor little Citroen got it's face smashed in. Cops confirmed other driver was in wrong but they are from overseas and uninsured.

Once I pulled the bumper back out a bit I was right to drive home. Will need front left guard, bumper and headlight/indicator assembly.

Advertisement

First accident I've been involved in 16 years.

Bummer! Sorry to hear this, I hope you weren't injured.

If possible I'd get the chassis checked before spending much on repairing it. Sorry to sound discouraging but I had a similar accident in my 505 and $2000+ later was told the chassis was twisted. In hindsight I would not have had it repaired, it started having one problem after another since that crash and chewed up tyres as the wheels could not be aligned. It has now gone to the wreckers.

Anyway, I hope yours might not be as bad. Maybe the at fault driver could still be pursued to pay?

K

Fellow Frogger!

I'll give it a good looking over in the morning to see how bad it is. It was raining when it happened.

You may be right and getting another one might be cheaper. I know Lance has a BX19 GT hidden away somewhere for me if I want it cheap.

I'd just recently had the front left control arm replaced and the front end is perfect.

Commiserations.
    Hopefully the impact wasn't too hard. Check your bonnet for cracks near the catch, to prevent further possible accidents. From my experience of fixing a bent BX over a decade ago, any bend in the chassis may be towards the rear of the engine bay where there's a curve in the rail. The vehicle I had repaired had had a heavy high hit, however, that was also enough to break the top gearbox mount.
    Hope your luck gets better.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

The damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My BX16 TRS smashed.-img_4293-2-.jpg   My BX16 TRS smashed.-img_4294.jpg   My BX16 TRS smashed.-img_4295.jpg   My BX16 TRS smashed.-img_4296.jpg  
    Last edited by Hemi Metal; 28th January 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Fortunately that doesn't look bad. The worst of it will be the couple of hours you'll wind up spending on the frame rack to pull the inner fender and radiator frame back to shape and checking general alignment of the front main structure. The hit looks high enough that the subframe shouldn't be damaged. The best part is you're OK.

I don't have any real idea what BX sheetmetal goes for, but an educated guess tells me if you do most of the prep and refit work yourself, you'll be out for under a couple of grand, rack time included. Actually, if you have any 'difficult to get at' repairs underhood, now is your time since a lot of that will likely need to be dismantled getting at the damage.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

UFO

Do you have the car comprehensively insured? If so go to YOUR insurance company with all details. Make them do the work of pursuing the guilty party.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Unfortunately this car isn't insured, neither was the Magna or the Jeep. The police were there immediately but it took them nearly an hour to sort things out. The Jeep Wrangler driver who had abandoned her vehicle leaving the lights off turned up 45min later with a fuel can. I was given the details of both of the other drivers and the cops told me I'd have to get a lawyer.

I will not spent more than a few hundred bucks to fix it, any more than that and I may as well get another one and use this one for parts.

The inner guard is twisted quite a bit as is the top radiator support member. The more I look at it the worse it seems.

Fellow Frogger

It obviously still drives, so you'd assume the damage is essentially the headlight and guard. The cheap way to straighten out a bit of a bend in the unner guard is to winch it out against a decent-sixed tree and give any kinks a bit of a smack with a hammer. It's an improvised but ugly crash rack substitute and may help you get it back together for minimal cost. We are fixing an otherwise worthless BX in this case, so it might be an appropriate way forward if you can DIY to that level.

Poor Zoltar. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Metal View Post
    Once I pulled the bumper back out a bit I was right to drive home. Will need front left guard, bumper and headlight/indicator assembly.
    Hi Hemi,

If the internal damage isn't too bad I've got an mk1 bumper, headlight, indicator & guard in a non original white colour you can have for nothing. They're definitely not in perfect condition but they'll get you going.

Cheers,
    Chris W.

Fellow Frogger!

I had Lance from DS Motors come and inspect the car this afternoon. The inner guard took a lot of impact and would need to be cut out and another section welded in, in other words too much expense and effort. It's a shame, just had a service but I think it may be the end for this BX. Anyhow it's done 445,000 klm and the engine is tired.

Thanks frog but another guard won't fit without the inner guard being repaired.

Will be checking out a $500 BX19GT 5 speed and the BX16 TRS automatic will be up for parts.

Sad to hear. It's my biggest fear when driving the 16v..

Hope you find a suitable replacement!

Good luck with the GT - gotta save them all!
    Also if you need any other parts, the mk1 we have is a GT.

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Good luck with the GT - gotta save them all!
    Also if you need any other parts, the mk1 we have is a GT.
    He's the one with the parts if it is declared dead! The BX is a model at an unfortunate age - old but not widely regarded as "classic" .................. yet.

Anyway, really bad luck regarding the BX 16 - it is the greatest risk of running older cars. I had a clown run up the back of the Renault R8 a while back, but straightened the bumper mounts in a vice, had the centre bumper section re-rolled and chromed and popped out 95% of the damage by hand, so very luckily fixed it for few dollars. You can hardly see the rear panel isn't quite perfect. Front corner of BX is another matter.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Shame about the BX.
    PM me if you would like to replace the BX with a nasty yellow XSara VTR for a $1000. It is still sitting behind the shed unused.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    Shame about the BX.
    PM me if you would like to replace the BX with a nasty yellow XSara VTR for a $1000. It is still sitting behind the shed unused.
    Must be rare then. Never seen a yellow Xsara. Now it has a point to talk it up on!

Fellow Frogger!

When I got the BX16 it was unregistered and it did feel good putting a BX back on the road. Between replacing the transmission and replacing the front control arms I had invested a bit in the old car so it is with reluctance I give up on it. If it was the GS I would repair it.

I have had a Xsara VTR Coupe before and although I like them they are not practical for getting the baby in and out of the back seat.

I like the BX model very much as a roomy practical car and find the series 1 looks better. A good BX19 GT would be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Must be rare then. Never seen a yellow Xsara. Now it has a point to talk it up on!
    Some call it gold, I call it yellow. Or actually, everybody but me calls it gold.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Fellow Frogger

I'd still be inclined to try removing the headlight, bumper and guard and chain/rope it to a tree and stick it in reverse. Crude and brutal, but possibly effective enough keep it going. It's unlikely to have damaged the strut mounting or engine mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I'd still be inclined to try removing the headlight, bumper and guard and chain/rope it to a tree and stick it in reverse. Crude and brutal, but possibly effective enough keep it going. It's unlikely to have damaged the strut mounting or engine mounts.
    I was going to suggest that yesterday!

If you approximate the point and direction of impact, in reverse, with the pull off a tree you may be very surprised how well if comes out.

The trick is to position the car slowly at the right angle, tension the rope, set the wheel straight. Then drive forward to slacken the rope and stop.

Stick her reverse and give some revs and drop the clutch. Stop fast when it comes out.

Nylon tow ropes are best for this technique.

Car you get a bottle jack behind the damage? if you over fill a hydraulic bottle jack they work on their side. Another option. It seems you have nothing to lose.

Thread Information