Another DS question
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 Another DS question

I have been looking, so far without success, for the parking brake cable adjustment location.

Advertisement

My manuals only show the LH drive setup. My car is a DS21 BVH with the foot operation.

I'm sure someone will have found this before!

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You shouldn't need to adjust the cable. If it's a later car you adjust the pads on the calipers (you gonna love it when you find the adjusters You'll probably have to grind a spanner down to fit onto the adjusters. Don't adjust or touch any cables until you know the adjusters on the pads are right . If it's an earlier car with clockwork brakes, let us know ........... Your in for much fun

Actualy if your stuck... and fast, my fathers car has most of the bits off ... I can probably take a picture of the handbrake calipers on it and there adjusters.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon2 View Post
    I have been looking, so far without success, for the parking brake cable adjustment location.

My manuals only show the LH drive setup. My car is a DS21 BVH with the foot operation.

I'm sure someone will have found this before!

Don
    Don,

Adjustment of the front parking (mechanical) brakes is a PITA - at least the first time you attempt to do it . As Shane noted you will have to bastardize a 14mm end wrench in order to access the adjustment nut that contacts the pads.

First off procure some 0.1mm brass shim material. Cut yourself some shims the same width as the pad material and a bit longer so that you can slide shims between the pads and brake rotor. Then using the adjustment bolt bring the pads just to the point where you cannot easily turn the rotor by hand, remove the shims and secure the adjustment bolt without letting it move.

Once that is done you will need to check on the cable. On LHD cars you have to remove the inner mud shield to access the cable. I suspect on a RHD car you will have to remover the RS mud shield covering the suspension area to access. Using the nut and adjustment sleeve give the end of the cable the clearance with the brakes 'off' that the factory recommends (0.3 to 0.5mm) from the sheath to tube protruding from the firewall. One thing to remember when doing this on a BVH is insure that the foot pedal for the mechanical brakes is in the fully 'up' position. The factory recommended that it be blocked with a wooden wedge.

Once done, you will be amazed at the power those brakes are capable of producing.

Steve

Tadpole

Default footbrake

First thing is that you wil have to remove the air filter housing then the steering collumn, under the steering column you will find a setting point. It sits between the hydrolic gearchange unit and the exhaust manifold on the firewall, hope this helps.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by HarmSouthAfrica View Post
    First thing is that you wil have to remove the air filter housing then the steering collumn, under the steering column you will find a setting point. It sits between the hydrolic gearchange unit and the exhaust manifold on the firewall, hope this helps.
    Thanks for letting him know where to find it. There are lots of differences between LHD and RHD cars that those of us in LHD markets are completely unaware of Given your description of its location it seems to be about as hard to access as the ones on LHD.......

Steve

Thread Information