Which car next? C2/C3/C4
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Which car next? C2/C3/C4

I am sick of fixing my wife's 05 Megane, even though it is now running beautifully, and want to replace it with something that will not cause me to lose too much sleep/hair/teeth for the next 100K.

Here are the rules: Must be

• a hatch
    • economical (8-9L/100 or better) yet zippy
    • not much older (if at all) than 05
    • have some character
    • have an outside temperature reader
    • be reliable with no unknown faults or funny electrical/computer gremlins that haven't yet been solved.
    • cost $8-12K
    • have done < 100K km
    • be nice to ride in and drive.

Are there any bulletproof models of the C2/C3/C4 that fit this? I drove a C2 and a C3 when I was looking at the Megane and I wasn't overly thrilled with them. They were standard things with senso-drive.

Advertisement

Is the C3 Pluriel any good? Any others?

I await your correspondence.

Erik

Fellow Frogger

I'd think about a C4 1.6HDi 5 speed manual for reliability and economy. The later EGS variant will cost you more, gains a gear and automatic mode for the gearbox. It also has a FAP, so the bag will need replacing maybe at about 160K, give or take a bit. It's important to buy a 1.6 HDi that's had regular oil changes though.

For the petrol cars, maybe consider a C4 VTS coupe, as they usually came well specified and offer a lot as a used car. Some took a while to sell, so compare the compliance and build dates. Look at Ivan's red VTS advert as an example of this model. It's a manual and they give little trouble, but you want glass cover in your policy if it has the Panoramic roof.

If you need an auto, you get the choice of an AL4 or an AL4 unless you buy a 2.0HDi C4 (6 speed AM6) or an automated manual, being either Sensodrive (5 speed) or EGS (6 speed).

Pluriels are fun to drive, but the Sensodrive, like the EGS would need a dealer to sort out some problems. You are a fair way from one from memory. Certainly more character than the C4 and it will seat 4 comfortably.

The 1.6HDi was also found in the C3. The C2 is also fun and the manual versions are less common. Later cars had lower specification and lost the climae control you'd find in many early C2's.
    Last edited by David S; 24th January 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Dealers aren't impossible, just a last resort.

Tadpole

Default Maybe too old?

... but I have a trouble free C5 diesel that needs a new home.

2003/150k means it might be off your radar. I imagine it's worth about $6500?

I'm in Lobethal too.

FWIW, I have a friend with a C4 diesel that he loves.

PM me if you'd like to talk!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Erikbm View Post
    I am sick of fixing my wife's 05 Megane, even though it is now running beautifully, and want to replace it with something that will not cause me to lose too much sleep/hair/teeth for the next 100K.

• a hatch
    • have some character
    • be reliable with no unknown faults or funny electrical/computer gremlins that haven't yet been solved.
    • cost $8-12K
    • have done < 100K km

Are there any bulletproof models of the C2/C3/C4 that fit this? I drove a C2 and a C3 when I was looking at the Megane and I wasn't overly thrilled with them. They were standard things with senso-drive.

Erik
    Sounds like you have been unlucky with the Megane. I think the cars you mention have just as many representations in the 'unlucky ' stakes as well. Good luck.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Sounds like you have been unlucky with the Megane. I think the cars you mention have just as many representations in the 'unlucky ' stakes as well. Good luck.
    Yes I know I have, but my Scottish Renault parts supplier assures me there are a few more surprises still to come. I used to figure that a car would go for 15 yrs/200K without major dramas. Surely that is not too much to ask anymore.

I actually test drove a Fiesta and a Micra yesterday, but they just aren't as comfortable.

Erik

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by croweatr View Post
    ... but I have a trouble free C5 diesel that needs a new home.

2003/150k means it might be off your radar. I imagine it's worth about $6500?

I'm in Lobethal too.

FWIW, I have a friend with a C4 diesel that he loves.

PM me if you'd like to talk!

Kevin
    Wow, another aussiefrogger in my home town!
    While the C5 does fit the rules, it is too big for her and for city car parks.
    I'd love to chat.

Erik

Tadpole

Why don't you load your requirements into carpoint and see what you get, I'm sure there is some 6000 cars to look at and 22 different thought's about which can cover point 6

1. a hatch
    2. economical (8-9L/100 or better) yet zippy
    3. not much older (if at all) than 05
    4. have some character
    5. have an outside temperature reader
    6. be reliable with no unknown faults or funny electrical/computer gremlins that haven't yet been solved.
    7. cost $8-12K
    8. have done < 100K km
    9. be nice to ride in and drive.

Cheers

don

I have a C4 VTR the low spec version of the VTS

Owned since 2008 at 24Kilometres
    Problems to date

New Engine Bay fuse box at 64k known problem = $1500

New Coil pack 78k = $220

Scuttle Grill fixings known problem - warranty

Rear shocks - warranty

Good luck with your search
    don

Three recalls - check c4owners.org for more info its a wealth of information

Have to agree with David S on this one. I might seem biased, but I love my C4 VTS and it's given me little trouble over the last 6 years. Additionally, C4Owners.org is a fantastic resource that has covered almost anything that can and will go wrong with any C4 variant along with detailing all the info and solutions you will likely ever need should you purchase a C4.

Good luck with the search!
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    I have a C4 VTR the low spec version of the VTS

Owned since 2008 at 24Kilometres
    Problems to date

New Engine Bay fuse box at 64k known problem = $1500

New Coil pack 78k = $220

Scuttle Grill fixings known problem - warranty

Rear shocks - warranty

Good luck with your search
    don

Three recalls - check c4owners.org for more info its a wealth of information
    Shit - that's french for bugger. At that rate I should keep the Megane. I only have three things to go...

Any thoughts on a C3 Pluriel? Apart from the roof.

Erik

Shit - that's french for bugger. At that rate I should keep the Megane. I only have three things to go...
    Just to add some perspective to Don's post, whilst it's true that the majority of his problems are known issues, it certainly does not mean that they are guaranteed to present themselves on all C4's. Of Don's list of issues, the only one I've encountered on my VTS - touch wood - is the scuttle plate.
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Fellow Frogger

Like any car, there are things that can go wrong. Things do just wear out, but if you had to pick the most expensive things to get stuck with and watch out for, you'd pick failing auto gearboxes, a broken or inoperative sunroof and 1.6HDi's that have skipped a few oil changes. There are obviously other potential faults, but they are not anywhere as expensive to address.

One point about a C4 is to avoid forcing the glovebox latch, which can be broken quite easily. If things are placed on the left side of the glovebox and it is slammed closed, then it can pop the lid out of the hinges and jam the latch. New lids are not cheap items.

Fellow Frogger!

Default No C3s or C2s then?

So no-one thinks a C3 or C2 is worth investigating? Is the C4 so much better?

Erik

• a hatch
    • have some character
    • cost $8-12K
    • have done < 100K km

Erik
    I wonder if there are any low mileage Peugeot 306 examples lurking in Adelaide? Ours has been pretty well bulletproof apart from heater radiators. It meets your criteria perfectly, and my wife loves the external temperature function (it showed 43 yesterday in Perth!) too. Older I know, but they are really good and ride better than the newer ones.

More seriously, I'd back David's comments on the C4. The word I get is that they mostly behave pretty well and our 306 service man reckoned a while back that the C4 is what he'd replace our 306 with. My wife won't part with the 306 so it won't happen, which is quite a recommendation for the 306 - hence my suggestion!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

My wife loves her C4.... If it was for me ... the C4 would be the most reliable and cheap to to run ever made .... as I'd walk out there each day and step into the CX that's parked beside it. I couldn't imagine a time when I'd drive the C4 rather than the CX that's parked beside it (unless maybe the CX had no petrol and I had no money to put more into it).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default C2

So no-one thinks a C3 or C2 is worth investigating? Is the C4 so much better?

Erik
    I have a 06 C2 VTR senso-drive
    I bought it new.
    Its a great car for what i use it for - going to and from work and a few metro journeys.
    It's got auto everything including climate, wipers, lights, gear changing, etc.
    Its never been any issue for me and has covered 70K kms. which has included a few country trips to Nelson bay, Cessnock, and Bega.
    It gives my 7-8l/100 in city driving 6l/100 motorway driving with climate control always on auto - generally between 19 - 22C.

Its not a car to load lots of people in and go for long trips (its a 2+2).
    It is great for two and a heap of luggage - the fold up seats come in handy for large items.
    The ride is firm and fantastic for sticking to the road and corners very well on the standard 45 series profile Michelin tyres.
    It is a bit crash/thump (after driving DS's for years) on bad road surfaces (Sydney has a lot) but nothing has broken, rattles, or fallen off to-date.

I have DS to drive on country journeys and would only take the C2 is the Ds were "unavailable".

I have it serviced by the dealer I bought it from every 10K kms.

Its been a very good reliable car. I really can't fault it.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I wonder if there are any low mileage Peugeot 306 examples lurking in Adelaide? Ours has been pretty well bulletproof apart from heater radiators. It meets your criteria perfectly, and my wife loves the external temperature function (it showed 43 yesterday in Perth!) too. Older I know, but they are really good and ride better than the newer ones.

More seriously, I'd back David's comments on the C4. The word I get is that they mostly behave pretty well and our 306 service man reckoned a while back that the C4 is what he'd replace our 306 with. My wife won't part with the 306 so it won't happen, which is quite a recommendation for the 306 - hence my suggestion!
    +1 for a Pug 306 . Best recent Pug IMO . A low K, XSi would be my choice. Brilliant car - so much better than later models, and you could spend the change on something else. Have had friends who had rear end rumbling noises in their C4 - common problem?
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger!

I have canvassed the possibility of a Pug 306 and would agree with you, except that SWMBO wants a car that is as new or newer than the 2005.

We have two 306s in the family already and I had suggested it would be easier if we standardised, but no-on eelse thought it was a serious suggestion.

I drove a new Fiesta and a new Micra the other day and thought to myself - I would much rather drive any of the 306s...

I thought she might look good in a cabriolet, but she didn't think so

Very sensible choice, but may not meet the criteria...

Thanks for the info on the C4s though.

Erik

I have canvassed the possibility of a Pug 306 and would agree with you, except that SWMBO wants a car that is as new or newer than the 2005.

We have two 306s in the family already and I had suggested it would be easier if we standardised, but no-on eelse thought it was a serious suggestion.

I drove a new Fiesta and a new Micra the other day and thought to myself - I would much rather drive any of the 306s...

I thought she might look good in a cabriolet, but she didn't think so

Very sensible choice, but may not meet the criteria...

Thanks for the info on the C4s though.

Erik
    Understood, re the car age matter!

I'd not mess with a C3 or C2 personally, because they might be a bit smaller for parking etc but the C4 is still compact externally. The C4 is just that bit bigger and probably a bit better in ride (sprung to unsprung weight ratio apart from anything else) so a more useful and, perhaps safer, a vehicle in general.

Every now and again I drive a non-French equivalent and they fail to please. We had a Hyundai i30 hire car once - pretty good rear vision mirrors and lots of go from the turbo diesel and no doubt would never go wrong but it didn't appeal. Not bad though and I've not driven (or dared to drive) a C4 for comparison. I've tried 307 and 308 diesel Peugeots - WOW - lots of go but pretty firm and why would we spend the money when the 306 is going so well!

Best of luck Erik. I'd have the C4 personally, of the three Citroens.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information