Xantia Airbag Smoking
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Xantia Airbag Smoking

EDIT: My sig doesnt seem to exist anymore so, the car is a 1995 Xantia 2.0 8v Auto

Well yesterday as dad was setting off to drive to work smoke began pouring out of the airbag.

Advertisement

He quickly pulled over and shut the car off just a few meters from home.

I spent a few minutes poking around the fuse box and all seemed fine.

Drove the car back into the driveway and the airbag light would come on at certain points in the steering wheels rotation (short circuit?), no smoke.

To make sure the airbag doesn't do that again or possibly even go off I want to unplug it.

Would the car still be driveable? or would alarms and warning lights come on?

I plan just to undo the 2 screws unplug it and insulate the connectors, then put back the airbag for aesthetics until I track down a cheap replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by vroom View Post
    EDIT: My sig doesnt seem to exist anymore so, the car is a 1995 Xantia 2.0 8v Auto

Well yesterday as dad was setting off to drive to work smoke began pouring out of the airbag.

He quickly pulled over and shut the car off just a few meters from home.

I spent a few minutes poking around the fuse box and all seemed fine.

Drove the car back into the driveway and the airbag light would come on at certain points in the steering wheels rotation (short circuit?), no smoke.

To make sure the airbag doesn't do that again or possibly even go off I want to unplug it.

Would the car still be driveable? or would alarms and warning lights come on?

I plan just to undo the 2 screws unplug it and insulate the connectors, then put back the airbag for aesthetics until I track down a cheap replacement.
    All I can really say is that if that happened to my Xantia I'd be onto my friendly Citroen mechanic very quickly for advice! I'd suspect wiring in the vicinity of the airbag and whatever wiping connections allow for it to be connected as the steering wheel rotates. Years ago there was a thread that showed very clearly how inconsistent the factory advice about time of service (just HOW can you service an airbag pack) or frequency of replacement is from car maker to car maker (and not many companies make the airbags I guess).

The cost of a flat top transport to the right place will be FAR cheaper than either more wires burning or the airbag going off.

Best of luck, and let's hope someone with more specific knowledge responds!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

IWS

I'm no expert - but I'd agree with John's advice.

I've had problems with the airbag sensor in my Xantia and had - in idle conversation with my Cit mechanic - suggested I might just disconnect some wires. He warned strongly against that - saying that it is very easy (when fiddling with the wiring connections) to inadvertently trigger the air bag and that is an expensive mistake to be making!

The flat-top tow truck option with a visit to an expert seems like the safe option to me.

Cheers, Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    I'm no expert - but I'd agree with John's advice.

I've had problems with the airbag sensor in my Xantia and had - in idle conversation with my Cit mechanic - suggested I might just disconnect some wires. He warned strongly against that - saying that it is very easy (when fiddling with the wiring connections) to inadvertently trigger the air bag and that is an expensive mistake to be making!

The flat-top tow truck option with a visit to an expert seems like the safe option to me.

Cheers, Ian
    Sounds like you share my concerns. You don't want to be adjacent to an air bag that goes off when the design distance is 600 mm or more.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger

RACV would presumably tow it for you, but you could remove the cowling to see if any wiring is burnt in that area. I'd probably remove the airbag fuse and leave it out.

Not sure about the cause of the smoke but an airbag should simply deploy in one go, not smoke. However, you may suspect a broken/shorted 'clockspring' in the steering column unit under the wheel/airbag. In later cars, it's inside the Comm unit, but the Xantia is more modular. It's designed to allow the wheel to be turned and there is a trap with all cars with this type of device. If it is turned too far, e.g. when the rack is out, it is likely to be broken.

So, see a dealer or a mechanic with enough knowledge to look at the problem without making you pay for on the job learning.
    Last edited by David S; 23rd January 2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Spelling / grammar

Tadpole

Awww dont be so dramatic bro's.

Took the battery leads off for a few hours.

Undid the 2 screws, unplugged, taped up all the connectors.

Screwed it back in. All is well with the cosmos once again.

There was one bolt on the unit the airbag plugs into that was corroded but other than that everything was looking ordinary so it might have been the air bag itself, however that looked all fine as well.

See the attached

Least its usable now.

Ring for comprehensive insurance.......now....

20lt of diesel a rag and a Zippo......
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

I was going to say it sounds more likely to be the clock spring rather that the airbag itself, sometimes they just get full of dirt and dust and a good clean will fix it, if not, we have second hand springs in stock, not very expensive, we'd need your VIN to match one up.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I was going to say it sounds more likely to be the clock spring rather that the airbag itself, sometimes they just get full of dirt and dust and a good clean will fix it, if not, we have second hand springs in stock, not very expensive, we'd need your VIN to match one up.
    Good to know Dave.

Would a clock spring cause this kind of smoke issue though?
    There seems to be no similar occurrences with other Citroen owners.

@Gamma: Good onya..
    2000 Holden VTII Calais International Supercharged V6
    1995 Citroen Xantia VSX 2.0 8v Auto
    1995 Peugeot 306 XR 1.8 8v Man. R.I.P

Doubt that the airbag would smoke, but the blinker stalk does.
    A squirt of holy water through the side fixed mine for good.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Hi Xantia drivers,
    the ignition switch is the area that I would suspect to be the cause of any smoke, as it's just below the wheel, and smoke should rise up.
    These cars were built with a very poorly designed ignition switch that can't handle the amps necessary to run the cars air blower for the heater/aircon/demister. They changed it in the series 2 cars for a better switch design that does not overheat/melt the ignition switch wires.
    The fix is to either replace the ignition switch or dismantle it and clean it, then fit a 30amp relay to the heavy wiring so that the switch works on a much lower amp loading.

Cheers....George 1/8th

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The XM and Xantia share the same crappy indicator switch. I have had this go up in smoke in both the XM and Xantia. This would be the first place I would look

Oh yeah .... and you can fix them if you have some epoxy resin there. Has your indicator mostly stopped working in the right direction? Actually the XM's has gone up in smoke twice... the second time it fixed itself in doing so it was dodgy until it smoked the second time.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Clock spring - the fact the airbag light came on when turning the wheel confirms it.

Call Dave, replace it asap.

The airbag is unlikely to go off when you don't want it to, but its also unlikely to go off when you really do want it to!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    The airbag is unlikely to go off when you don't want it to, but its also unlikely to go off when you really do want it to!
    So very true.

Well. The function of all the stalks (including cruise control) are fine. Absolutely no change since I unhooked the airbag.

Might change the clock spring then..
    2000 Holden VTII Calais International Supercharged V6
    1995 Citroen Xantia VSX 2.0 8v Auto
    1995 Peugeot 306 XR 1.8 8v Man. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Xantia drivers,
    the ignition switch is the area that I would suspect to be the cause of any smoke, as it's just below the wheel, and smoke should rise up.
    These cars were built with a very poorly designed ignition switch that can't handle the amps necessary to run the cars air blower for the heater/aircon/demister. They changed it in the series 2 cars for a better switch design that does not overheat/melt the ignition switch wires.
    The fix is to either replace the ignition switch or dismantle it and clean it, then fit a 30amp relay to the heavy wiring so that the switch works on a much lower amp loading.

Cheers....George 1/8th
    Quite right. Ours has a relay now after going up in smoke.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information