Timing Belt C3.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Timing Belt C3.

Tadpole

Default Timing Belt C3.

Our C3 due for service. Dealer advised was big service as it needed timing belt replaced..Hmmm
    We bought the vehicle in 2010 as a demonstrator it is a 2008 build. Covered by new unit warranty from when we bought it. Now we don't do a lot of Km's, has just turned over 16,000..The manufacturer calls for a timing belt replacement at 100,000 or 4 years whichever occurs first. so 08 build we are now in 12 = 4 years. This is an expensive belt and I do not see myself shelling out for one every 4 years at under 10,000 k's a year. What is the design of these diesels are they an interference engine? or will I just cease to move forward if it breaks? thanks.

Advertisement

Well im sure if the timing belt breaks it will cause major engine damage.

jmn

Personally, I think the dealer is having a lend of you.

This might be helpful.
    http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop.htm

Given that the engines have a common origin, it's unlikely that the engine plant installs an inferior quality belt on units destined for Citroen. But they are French so who knows what they might do.

The Germans have been progressively moving away from these automotive obscenities (belts) in favour of chains, the latest being the 1.2 and 1.4 litre engines for the Polo and Golf.

I don't care to think about what that job would cost on my car. All I know is that I'll be out of it before it's due. Prerequisite for next car will be the absence of a timing belt and if that means a different marque then so be it.

Good luck to you and let us all know how it turns out.

Mark.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

This might be a dumb question but after the belt has been changed once does it need to be done continually at 80000-100000 kms? Or just the once?

Tadpole

That's a joke, workshop has nothing to do huuu. Sad part is if there still is warranty on the car, the dealer will quickly void that due to not following the service book. Have you been given a cost for this 4 year service.

Cheers

Could someone please explain their comments that workshops are taking advantage of a 4 year interval on cambelt changes. How is this so when the manufacturer recommends it. Is it more because you were not aware of this cost before you purchased the car ?

I would look at this as cheap insurance compared to the cost of an engine rebuild. By the way good luck finding a cheap to run car without a timing belt...

jmn

What I'm stating Andrew is that those same timing belt change intervals were very prominently placed on the wall of the local Peugeot dealership workshop for all to see. Do Citroen use Peugeot engines or not, that is the question? Are those same engines fitted with an inferior quality belt than those in a Peugeot branded car?

Confused? So am I! But I sure as hell won't be if I find out that I have to change the belt on my car at a measly four years; it'll be history.

Mark.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace000 View Post
    Our C3 due for service. Dealer advised was big service as it needed timing belt replaced..Hmmm
    We bought the vehicle in 2010 as a demonstrator it is a 2008 build. Covered by new unit warranty from when we bought it. Now we don't do a lot of Km's, has just turned over 16,000..The manufacturer calls for a timing belt replacement at 100,000 or 4 years whichever occurs first. so 08 build we are now in 12 = 4 years. This is an expensive belt and I do not see myself shelling out for one every 4 years at under 10,000 k's a year. What is the design of these diesels are they an interference engine? or will I just cease to move forward if it breaks? thanks.

I believe 4 years is for the petrol C3, the diesel has longer replacement intervals.

What does your service book specify? Possibly 6 years ?
    Last edited by Spiz; 18th January 2012 at 05:51 PM.
    spiz

First of all if it makes you feel any better I have 3 pugs all doing low K's but needing cambelts every 4 years.

Secondly from what I understand a PSA Group ( Citroen/Peugeot ) engine, either TU or ET, is used in your car depending on model.

Fellow Frogger

The Diesel C3 sold here used the DV6 1.6 HDi engine.

Citroen have chosen to follow their Severe, Outside Europe servicing schedule for reasons known to themselves. You'd have to ask Citroen and various dealers, but I would have thought this is an unusual case and a common sense approach might allow a bit of leeway. However, timing belts age, even if the kms are very low and a lot of short trips may be as bad as more kms at higher speeds.

The engines and belts will be shared by both brands, so expect them to be the same.

100,000 or 4 years does sound like an odd quote for a PSA engine (petrol or diesel).

A 1.6 HDi from a 2008 C3 I would have assumed to have a timing belt interval of at least 120,000km or 6 years. Is this what the service book is saying, or is this what the dealer is saying?

Current versions of that motor have an interval of 180,000km or 9 years, but that is for the latest engines only.

I'd suggest contacting CitroŽn Australia and asking (have your VIN handy) if you have any doubts about the issue.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Spiz View Post
    I believe 4 years is for the petrol C3, the diesel has longer replacement intervals.

What does your service book specify? Possibly 6 years ?
    I thought it was 80,000km?

Fellow Frogger!

The 1.6 HDi [66 kW (9HX, 9HV) or 80 kW (9HY, 9HZ) depending on your VIN] is a second-generation common-rail diesel engine, which has a timing belt change interval of 240,000km / 10 years for normal conditions, or 180,000 km / 10 years for arduous conditions for Europe.

Peugeot in Australia had a change interval of 120,000 km / 6 years for its 1st-gen HDi engines & has a change interval of 180,000 km / 9 years for its 2nd-gen HDi engines, which are virtually the same as the "arduous conditions in Europe" change interval.

But then you have Citroen (or whoever...) in Australia specifying an interval shorter than either of those specified by Peugeot Oz. Why such a short interval for a 2nd-gen HDi engine? And why the discrepancy?

Tadpole

The Unit is a 9HX vin and the Service Manual specifies 100,000Km or 4 years for all C3 Petrol or Diesel. Why would Citroen disadvantage itself in the market place by increasing maintenance costs viz-viz Pug ?. So if i had this engine in a Pug. I would be looking at 180,000 or 9 years and that would be imo reasonable. Is starting to leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

Once when I was toying with the idea of a fairly fresh Laguna2 a few years ago, the Renault dealers all said the warranty and the "life" of the timing belt began when the car was registered and put into service -regardless of how long it had sat around brand new in storage yards.

These Lagunas were 2 years old before they were put on the road too.

Your Citroen is a 2008 build - whats the compliance date? If its 2010, I'd tell Citroen to treat that as the start date.

Thread Information