BX rear suspension won't rise
  • Register
  • Help

Default BX rear suspension won't rise

Recently two high pressure lines behind the motor took a hit and pushed them out of shape. Caused them to rub together and eventually both pipes split. Massive pressure caused huge loss of LHM which mostly sprayed over the exhaust. Luck had it that I was just up the road from Cit mechanic. After a slighty bumpy and very smoky drive - dumped the car in his yard and waited for Christmas and New Year holidays to end for work to be done. The pipes replaced are listed on the invoice as 'steering feed pipe' and 'Security valve feed pipe'. Work was done but then the rear would not raise. All other systems operate as normal. Pipe to rear height correcter was removed and flushed and the car rose. I went for a short drive turned car off and it had time to settle. When I restarted the back would not raise again. Ran car for nearly half an hour putting in high position and low to try and shake it into action. No luck.
    Things I am going to try - undo regulator screw and run then retighten - bleed rear brakes for air - check the rear height correcter for stickyness

Advertisement

Any other thoughts??

UFO

They sound like good starts, but of course, please read this if you haven't already, prior to commencing work;

Hydraulic Citroen Safety - also applies in part to other cars

It may also be worth checking the LHM level.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

I would have thought that bleeding the air out of the system would do it. A few times would be expected. It only takes a minute if you have done it before, but I have a vauge memory that the BX has to be done from underneath, so do take car of the possibility it might settle on top of you. Put it up on ramps first or else support it on axle stands.

I guess another less likely possibility is that the rear height corrector has been bumped and is in teh wrong position. Check this with the car running, but again beware that a little nudge of it will produce rapid heaight changes.

Erik

I've heard from a few places now that bleeding the air out maybe the solution. It's not the height correcter itself as I took that off yesterday and cleaned it out. It was full of gunge and sticky but seems to slide fine now. If there is air in the system where do I bleed it from. Will it work if I bleed it via the rear brakes.

Bleed via the brakes. You shouldn't have to but best to check there is no air in the brake circuit.

Easiest way is to support the rear on ramps, use a jack to push the wheelarm up pretty high, undo bleed screw and then get someone to stand on the brake pedal and start the engine. The suspension control has to be at full height as well

It will rise up on the jack so make sure it is secure before you do this. If it doesn't the height corrector is probably out of adjustment
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

You don't need someone to stand on the brake pedal. I have a length of 4 X 2 that has been cut so that it is a tight fit between the drivers seat squab and the brake pedal. Just make sure you keep the engine running.

I always bleed the brakes (front and rear) every 2 years after I clean the LHM filters and replace the old, dirty LHM with new, clean LHM. The LHM in the brake lines rarely gets filtered in comparison to the rest of the system. Bleed until nice green LHM flows.

John

Thread Information