DS selector shaft O ring replacement - how?
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Default DS selector shaft O ring replacement - how?

For some years now the D's gearbox has been gently sharing its oil by seeping it out the worn O rings on each end of the selector shaft on the top front of the gearbox. I bought new O rings for it last year some time and attempted to fit them.

As you can see in the attached diagram (circled in red) there is one each end (well it may not show it that clearly but there are) and the appropriate grooves in the gearbox housing and lid to accommodate them. The problem is the the left one (on this image) goes on easily. The right one of course has to get over the trapezoidal plate welded onto the end of the shaft - this piece then connects onto the rest of the mechanism that connects to the gear change lever.

Trying to get O rings over that piece is impossible as they only stretch so far before ceasing being rings and commencing their life as a piece of rubber with two ends shaped in a rough circle.

Advertisement

I bought some new O rings (6 this time just to be sure!) from a local diesel repair shop ( a real treasure trove of bits and pieces!) and might attempt the job again soon then drop the old oil out and treat the car to a fresh top up and Nulon G70.

Can anyone offer some useful tips on getting the one required O ring over the plate? Note I did leave the old worn one on the shaft - just in case which was lucky.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS selector shaft O ring replacement - how?-ds-4sp-gb-selector-shaft.jpg  
    Last edited by UFO; 13th January 2012 at 12:07 AM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Cut it, install it, and glue it back together with o-ring glue.

Or upgrade to a BVH.

Only my second suggestion is facetious.

Roger

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Cut it, install it, and glue it back together with o-ring glue.

Or upgrade to a BVH.

Only my second suggestion is facetious.

Roger
    ...maybe try dropping it in boiling water before attempting to fit, of course use tongs to retrieve

I also like Roger's second suggestion

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

If you are having to stretch it that much - it is not the right size to begin with.

That ring is 3.6mm x 19.8mm. Got to your local 0-ring shop and source either an AS(BS) ring - in nitrile - size 210. The 210 will require just a bit of stretching, on the order of around 0.04" to fit over the shaft.

Steve

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    If you are having to stretch it that much - it is not the right size to begin with.

That ring is 3.6mm x 19.8mm. Got to your local 0-ring shop and source either an AS(BS) ring - in nitrile - size 210. The 210 will require just a bit of stretching, on the order of around 0.04" to fit over the shaft.

Steve
    Fitting it on the shaft is not the problem, it's getting it over the end plate.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Did you try going over the shaft selector dong instead of the end? I bet you did.
    If that doesn't do it, Roger's plan A will work.
    Plan B is probably not an option.
    Greenblood's plan C sounds good, and I offer plan D now.
    Ship the car to Los Angeles, I will figure out how to fit the seal and then ship the car back to you.

Mind you now, just because I offered does not mean I want you all to ship your cars. Just send the one for now.

/does the Daffyduck dance wooohooo woooohoooo woooohooo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Fitting it on the shaft is not the problem, it's getting it over the end plate.
    Like Roger I have been with BVH for a long time. However if we are talking about the opposite end with the flector (shift linkage attaches), I just went out to the shop and put a 210 over one on a spare manual tranny in about 15 seconds with nary a problem. If the 0-rings are breaking it is a good sign they are either 1) cheap 0-rings or 2) been sitting on a shelf for a long time. Given the conversations I have had with Ricco about this my money is on cheap rings.

Steve

UFO

Yeah thanks Daffy - sounds like a plan. Now if you could just organise a container and shipping but on a ship that does not go via NZ, I would be happy to put the car in there and fly over and meet it. I'll cover mine and Mrs UFO's airfares! If we can get it there about mid June you should have the car fixed in time for me to go the American Theatre Organ Society's convention that is in the LA area this July.

Steve, I will work on the D this weekend and I suspect you may be right about the previous O rings. More than likely because I bought 6 spares the first one will be fine. Thanks for your test and response.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    ...maybe try dropping it in boiling water before attempting to fit, of course use tongs to retrieve

I also like Roger's second suggestion

Cheers
    Chris
    rogers suggestion would have been my method from the word go

i own't stretch O rings, just cut and glue in a situation like this

or

buy a pug
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Yeah thanks Daffy - sounds like a plan. Now if you could just organise a container and shipping but on a ship that does not go via NZ, I would be happy to put the car in there and fly over and meet it. I'll cover mine and Mrs UFO's airfares! If we can get it there about mid June you should have the car fixed in time for me to go the American Theatre Organ Society's convention that is in the LA area this July.

Steve, I will work on the D this weekend and I suspect you may be right about the previous O rings. More than likely because I bought 6 spares the first one will be fine. Thanks for your test and response.
    The trick is getting one over that end plate is to work it down as far as possible by hand. Then use a long thin flat bladed screwdriver, grease the shank, and using the opposite end of the end plate as a fulcrum point stretch the 0-ring and slide it down the screwdriver shank so that it pops over the end plate. Actually takes longer to write it all down than to actually do it

Steve

UFO

Thanks all - I did the job yesterday and the new O rings that I bought a few weeks ago were far more flexible that the others I got from Holland. The ring stretched and slipped over the end plate without breaking. It was so successful I thought I would put a spare on the shaft just in case for the future.

I took the opportunity to drain and refill the gearbox with 80 grade gearbox oil (2 litres required) and 250ml of Nulon G70.

I also used about 1/2 a can of export degreaser to clean years of gunge of the outside of the box.

No chance to drive it last night or today but will do so next weekend.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

To avoid the risk of damaging the o-ring, drop the gearbox in liquid nitrogen. Remove, preferably wearing gloves, and slide the o-ring on. Easy..................
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information