Replace CX battery
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    748

    Default Replace CX battery

    I never thought I'd write up how to install a battery in a car. But it is a CX!

    Found out that the LH headlight needs to be removed. In order to more easily do this the grill has to come off. Loosen the two bolts at the top, press the metal spring clips to allow the bottom of the grill to go back towards the radiator and then lift slightly and bring forward and out. Pic 1

    To remove the headlight there are three clips that sit behind the light that need to be prised off. The light then comes forward and out. The two black clips are at the sides, the white one is at the bottom of the light. Pic2

    Advertisement


    The battery is retained by two metal clamps held in place with bolts attached to the carrier. Pic 3
    A 13mm socket and extension will allow removal through the headlight space.

    On removing the light I found that the glass was detached from the reflector. Someone had tried to silicone them together without much luck. Removed original sealant as well as the silicone before cleaning and then re-attaching. Pic 4

    Found the carrier was rusted so cleaned up and sprayed with a penetrating oil and sealer combination. Pic 5

    Next step is to apply primer before several coats of enamel.

    So what I thought was a ten minute job will run into several days.

    Have also repainted the trumpets on the horns. Pic 6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replace CX battery-dsc03886.jpg   Replace CX battery-dsc03887.jpg   Replace CX battery-dsc03888.jpg   Replace CX battery-dsc03891.jpg   Replace CX battery-dsc03889.jpg   Replace CX battery-dsc03892.jpg  

    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    Isn't amazing how one simple task on a CX can lead to a whole weeks work!
    Interesting that your car has two removable clamps. Mine has only one. It is easy to undo the clamp without removing the headlight on my car, but having the light out gives a much easier space to lift the battery in and out, allowing that mine field of tortured twisted wiring to be cleared. Reminds me of no man's land between the WW1 trenches.
    Cheers Gerry

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Depending on the battery, you can often get it in/out by removing just the globe and then lifting it out on it's end via one of the terminals and one of those battery handles. I guess if you can do this, the battery may be too small anyway. There is also a tendency for the wheel arch to rot out just behind the battery tray, so you've got to beware of laking batteries.

    Removing the headlamp is fairly easy. There was a note in the special tools thread I think about a tool made up to turn the three headlamp retainers easily. The one underneath on earlier cars is a pain to get at sometimes. Later cars have the top mount lights instead.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts Greg C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Two points

    1. If the glass is coming off the reflector you can wash the inside of the glass. It is amazing how dirty it gets, so much so that I prized the other one off because it looked like the Prestige had a cataract in one eye.

    2. Luckily after 1982 one clip moved to the top of the light so it is easier to get the light out. Actually it is very easy compared to modern cars, when I had to do this at the auto electricians, he was amazed that it had to be done and how easy it was.

    If you are replacing the battery, I would suggest spending a few extra bucks and by an Optima fully sealed battery. I have one in the Prestige and it is brilliant. No leakage and very low self discharge.
    Mine

    CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

    In the family

    Xantia SX

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    748

    Default

    With just about every car in the fleet requiring a new battery in the past six months or so the wife had an apoplexy when I went to buy yet 'another one!!!!'

    The one being replaced was an SCA branded one - lesser capacity than its replacement even though it is marked as the same model - a "59"

    With the car being an automatic it needs the battery. The 406HDi has a dead battery but at least I can roll start it if I need to move it!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  6. #6
    Ashtray Polisher donat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Is this the Familiale?

    I bought a new battery for it early last year - so I'm a little puzzled as to why it would need replacing. Did I leave you a warranty card?
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

  7. #7
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,318

    Default

    I still have the original delkor in my CX .... that I must have fitted at least 8years ago. I'm still to have a delkor battery die

    I just tilt the batteries on there sides and lower them in... if you remove the globe they should fit easily enough.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    748

    Default

    It is the Familiale, no warranty paper but it must be just about at the twelve month mark anyway.

    The SCA Extra Heavy Duty (11 plate) is shown as CCA 420 and RC 90 - 12 mth warranty
    I've got a Century Hi-performance CCA 540 and RC 100 to replace it. - 24 mth warranty
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    castlemaine
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    I never thought I'd write up how to install a battery in a car. But it is a CX!
    You think this is bad try a SM. In the SM the correct sized battery has to be removed through a panel in the RHF wheel arch. To access the panel you have to remove the front wheel. To remove the front wheel you have to jack the car up. To jack the car up you have to start the engine. To start the engine you have to have a live battery. Go figure.
    roger

  10. #10
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    CitroŽn Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    A friend in Wollongong was driving his SM to work one day a few years ago and the car suddenly stopped. The battery had dropped through the rusted battery tray and was only hanging on by the earth lead!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  11. #11
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Depending on the battery, you can often get it in/out by removing just the globe and then lifting it out on it's end via one of the terminals and one of those battery handles. I guess if you can do this, the battery may be too small anyway. There is also a tendency for the wheel arch to rot out just behind the battery tray, so you've got to beware of laking batteries.

    Removing the headlamp is fairly easy. There was a note in the special tools thread I think about a tool made up to turn the three headlamp retainers easily. The one underneath on earlier cars is a pain to get at sometimes. Later cars have the top mount lights instead.
    I made such a headlamp tool fairly easily! Ross has it easy relative to some (like mine) as one badly placed AC pipe also goes across - my last battery had to rotate in diagonally, starting upside down (after the old one had been leaking acid all over me on the way out).

    Nice blue trumpets!!!!! Hope they work.

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I made such a headlamp tool fairly easily! Ross has it easy relative to some (like mine) as one badly placed AC pipe also goes across - my last battery had to rotate in diagonally, starting upside down (after the old one had been leaking acid all over me on the way out).

    Nice blue trumpets!!!!! Hope they work.

    Cheers
    The air con pipe/hose does go across but had enough flexibility to move it aside.

    Those trumpets are from 'Grace'. The pair you supplied are being painted at the moment. They didn't work but a combination of compressed air and thinners has given them a voice. The question now is "How long will they work?"
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  13. #13
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    The air con pipe/hose does go across but had enough flexibility to move it aside.

    Those trumpets are from 'Grace'. The pair you supplied are being painted at the moment. They didn't work but a combination of compressed air and thinners has given them a voice. The question now is "How long will they work?"
    Sounds as if the trumpets need more exercise! Perhaps a mid-day blare?

    Hope they behave.

    When I put the battery in the CX, the battery place's "fitter" refused to touch it, and reinforced his feelings when I undid the grill to allow the headlamp out......
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts Ken W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    I seem to be able to get my Bosch batteries in and out of the CX battlewagon by just removing the headlamp bulb. If they don't have a handle, I seem to remember having some sore fingernails for a while afterwards tho.

    Cheers,

    Ken W

  15. #15
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    CitroŽn Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Sounds as if the trumpets need more exercise! Perhaps a mid-day blare?

    Hope they behave.

    When I put the battery in the CX, the battery place's "fitter" refused to touch it, and reinforced his feelings when I undid the grill to allow the headlamp out......
    What a namby pamby wuss he must be! He must go totally apoplectic when faced with a VW Beetle or Mini (original versions of both). I suppose a C6 or V6 C5 would also bring on a good dummy spit.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  16. #16
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    What a namby pamby wuss he must be! He must go totally apoplectic when faced with a VW Beetle or Mini (original versions of both). I suppose a C6 or V6 C5 would also bring on a good dummy spit.
    He was a grumpy old bugger to be sure. Perhaps it was me starting with a 10 mm spanner on the side of the car opposite the battery? Taking in the Renault R8 later that year did get a better reception.

    Wimps and wusses. You are quite right.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    748

    Default

    While waiting for the paint to dry in the battery area I took time to put the old battery on extended charge. Then when I went to town took it to the workshop and asked them to check it out.

    Despite me charging the battery overnight and having the green light on the charger (indicating fully charged) the test revealed 'Replace battery'

    The workshop put it on a quick boost. After which the test said 'Good Battery'
    The CCA read at 387 (battery described as CCA420) So I left them with the new battery and will go back to the car to check for other possible culprits.

    The final coat of paint will be dry tomorrow morning so will refit battery and see what happens!
    Be interesting to see if it holds the charge overnight!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  18. #18
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    While waiting for the paint to dry in the battery area I took time to put the old battery on extended charge. Then when I went to town took it to the workshop and asked them to check it out.

    Despite me charging the battery overnight and having the green light on the charger (indicating fully charged) the test revealed 'Replace battery'

    The workshop put it on a quick boost. After which the test said 'Good Battery'
    The CCA read at 387 (battery described as CCA420) So I left them with the new battery and will go back to the car to check for other possible culprits.

    The final coat of paint will be dry tomorrow morning so will refit battery and see what happens!
    Be interesting to see if it holds the charge overnight!
    And? How did you go?

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    And? How did you go?

    Cheers
    Fitted battery. Replaced headlight and one retaining clip (couldn't get the other two on) put grill back and started car. Easy!

    Drove across to my neighbours to do a small job then home again. Some jobs to do on the block so used the CX. Seemed fine.

    Left it overnight to see what happened. This morning she started easily. Drove to town the long way to attend to some business. Once in town went to workshop where they tested the battery in situ. Reading was good.

    Will now wait to see what happens over the next week or so.

    Did go back and managed to fit the other side clip on the light. Can't distort my hands enough to get the bottom one on though.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  20. #20
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Fitted battery. Replaced headlight and one retaining clip (couldn't get the other two on) put grill back and started car. Easy!

    Drove across to my neighbours to do a small job then home again. Some jobs to do on the block so used the CX. Seemed fine.

    Left it overnight to see what happened. This morning she started easily. Drove to town the long way to attend to some business. Once in town went to workshop where they tested the battery in situ. Reading was good.

    Will now wait to see what happens over the next week or so.

    Did go back and managed to fit the other side clip on the light. Can't distort my hands enough to get the bottom one on though.
    I know what you mean - I'll try and remember to photograph for you the tool I made for that purpose. Basically it is a slotted 3/8 drive long socket with a short extension of the type with some movement.

    I've had that sort of battery nonsense myself. Use vehicle more, problem departs. Something about modern batteries perhaps?

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  21. #21
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Fitted battery. Replaced headlight and one retaining clip (couldn't get the other two on) put grill back and started car. Easy!

    Drove across to my neighbours to do a small job then home again. Some jobs to do on the block so used the CX. Seemed fine.

    Left it overnight to see what happened. This morning she started easily. Drove to town the long way to attend to some business. Once in town went to workshop where they tested the battery in situ. Reading was good.

    Will now wait to see what happens over the next week or so.

    Did go back and managed to fit the other side clip on the light. Can't distort my hands enough to get the bottom one on though.
    Here you go Ross. My 9/16" socket slotted for the CX headlamp clips, with a 3/8" drive extension of the bendy joint variety. Works like a dream.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replace CX battery-cx-headlamp-clip-tool-1-sml.jpg   Replace CX battery-cx-headlamp-clip-tool-2-sml.jpg   Replace CX battery-cx-headlamp-clip-tool-3-sml.jpg  
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Thanks for the pics John. I'll dig out one of my old sockets and make one. I've been looking at buying a flexible extension to use in addition to the knuckle joint. I seem to come across nuts in difficult locations far too often.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  23. #23
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Thanks for the pics John. I'll dig out one of my old sockets and make one. I've been looking at buying a flexible extension to use in addition to the knuckle joint. I seem to come across nuts in difficult locations far too often.
    Pleasure Ross. I've had a fully flexible extension for years and have never found it to be much use! However, the universal joints and these straight extensions with curved male ends are really good.

    Of course the only reason I had a 9/16" socket was that it came with a mixed metric/Imperial set I bought cheaply. I've never owned a non-French car with those odd spanner sizes.

    I've had to resort to Scotch, the Jamieson having run out temporarily!
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  24. #24
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    CitroŽn Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I've had a fully flexible extension for years and have never found it to be much use!
    Ahem, I think you're on a completely wrong website if that's what you wish to discuss!!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    ... straight extensions with curved male ends ...
    I presume you mean a 'wobble' bar. Allows the socket to pivot on the end unless you push it firmly home. The same idea is used on ball drivers, which are hex keys with a slight ball on the end. Sometimes, you really do need them.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •