Flick the Plip
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Flick the Plip

JBN

Default Flick the Plip

I never had a Plip for my Xantia, so all locking/unlocking was done by key, mainly via the drivers door. Then the door barrel died. I moved the passengers side barrel to the drivers side. I then accessed the following site to rectify the stuffed barrel:

http://www.schaalbouw.nl/citroen/blog4.htm

Plan A
    Made for interesting reading. I tried to squeeze the key limit prongs to restrain the key from progressing too far into the barrel. Ended up breaking the brittle white metal prongs. Rectify now became rectum.

Plan B
    Had a spare barrel on a spare door. Pulled it apart. VERY gingerly, removed each spring/pin from the buggered drivers barrel to the spare, one by one. Looks great. Doesn't work. [Memo to Self: During robberies, always bring a gun. Point it to owners head and get THEM to unlock the safe - JBN You are not a locksmith]

Plan C
    Figured I needed an alternative to a brick through the window if the passengers (now drivers) lock stuffed up. Found that SuperCheap Auto had a Remote Central Locking kit. The box has SCA on it, which either stands for Super Cheap Auto or Special Citroen Accessory. Bought it for around $50.

Now all I had to do was replace infra red Plip with radio remote.

History
    My first encounter with auto electrics was as a young bloke when I accidently put my hand on a spark plug of a dodgem car at a fair. Since then I have learnt to keep my hands clear of spark plugs, but not much more. This is the extent of my knowledge:
    • If there is a spark, you have connected the wires incorrectly
    • If the wire gets very hot, disconnect the battery and come up with another plan.
    • If the wire catches fire, put it out. It doesn't go out by itself.
    • If the fuse blows, you are allowed as many repeats of the same dumb action until all the replacement fuses have been used. [I specify type and amperage of fuses and encourage my kids to buy me some as Xmas stocking fillers].
    Identify the existing Plip Controller wires.

The first photo show the controller with the wires cut. There are five wires:
    1. Mushroom coloured from pin 1. Need good imagination to call it "mushroom"
    2. Orange coloured from pin 2. This only has 12V when the ignition is on (probably disables alarm/central locking when one is driving)
    3. Grey coloured wire from pin 3. Either locks or unlocks. Experiment to determine which.
    4. Grey coloured wire from pin 4. Either locks or unlocks. This is a good reason to use bullet connectors rather than soldering.
    5. Grey coloured wire from pin 5. This is 12V live all the time.
    Identify SCA Receiver wires.

Logically only 4 wires are requires. A positive from the battery (fused); a negative earth; a lock wire and an unlock wire.
    • The red wire is positive (connect to PSA pin 5 grey wire)
    • The black wire is earth (connect to PSA mushroom coloured wire).
    • The blue and green wires are not required for PSA cars.
    • The set of white and brown wires which have bullet connectors and connects to the SCA drivers door lock - these are the ones we need to lock/unlock the PSA car. (connect to grey wires from pins 3 & 4. Coordinate with remote to get correct function).
    • The other set of white/brown wires are short and have no connectors and are for a manual lock function via a switch (not applicable for PSA cars).
    It works! For $50, I have remote central locking (each remote normally cost $10 or more). I have saved the $200 fee to get a new Citroen door barrel keyed to my X key (using VIN number info) plus a two week wait ex France.

A couple of days ago, I replaced the RHR door lock with a new one bought on eBay for $50. The electric motor had died in the old one.

So now I have a car that I can effortlessly lock, even though no one wants to steal a Xantia. My wife thinks I do all these useless things just to get out of the cooking.

John

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flick the Plip-plip-1.jpg   Flick the Plip-plip-2.jpg   Flick the Plip-plip-3.jpg  

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Oh, come on John. We all know you don't do this to get out of cooking. You do this to get out of doing dishes/vacuuming/laundry. You need a project like Shane's ID to get out of cooking.

More seriously- cheap, easy solution to a stupid problem. I love it.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

So how do you fix the PITA C4 where you are only supplied one remote control key, and the only door lock is on the passenger side. It drives you bloody insane having to walk to the passenger door anytime you want to lock/unlock the car. Another reason to hate later PSA cars. Even the lowest of low 2CV's gave you a bloody lock to unlock the door with from the drivers side

seeya,
    Shane L,
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

John

This is pretty much my scenario too. Where is the original, as pictured, controller to be found?

cheers

David

UFO

Our C5 has lock barrels both sides AND we got two keys!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Ahh, but Mr and Mrs UFO are special people...

.....and a Xsara????

Where's the lovely uppy-downy suspension and little puddles of green sweat???

'I think I can feel one of my headaches coming on.....'

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Shanes parents kept the other key so they can secretly steal the car back one night

this will be when he finishes the D and is looking for something to do and he has the C4 in his sights
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    John

This is pretty much my scenario too. Where is the original, as pictured, controller to be found?

cheers

David
    In the headlining between the sunvisors. See photo.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flick the Plip-electrics-007_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    Shanes parents kept the other key so they can secretly steal the car back one night

this will be when he finishes the D and is looking for something to do and he has the C4 in his sights
    Actually my old man had a "heated discussion" with them when he found this out after buying the car. Citroen absolutely refused point blank to give him a second remote key with the car......................... Of course they are willing to "sell" you one no doubt. It would likely cost the sort of money I think an entire car should cost to buy though ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Our S2 Xantia came with 1 plip and a spare key, plus a barcode on a credit card sized bit of plastic to order a new key. So to order a new key/plip you give them the barcode credit card and a real credit card and pay.

Still think it pretty cool that you can order a new key only quoting the VIN number, and search for parts filtered by VIN number. I wonder how long they will keep that computer file. Try again in 20 years do you think
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Our S2 Xantia came with 1 plip and a spare key, plus a barcode on a credit card sized bit of plastic to order a new key. So to order a new key/plip you give them the barcode credit card and a real credit card and pay.

Still think it pretty cool that you can order a new key only quoting the VIN number, and search for parts filtered by VIN number. I wonder how long they will keep that computer file. Try again in 20 years do you think
    I don't mind one plip and one spare "normal" key ............................... If they give you a bloody lock on the drivers side. With the C4 you have to walk around to the passenger door every single bloody time you want to lock or unlock the car. It really p!$$es me off no end

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I know. When I picked up my Dad's C4 (when he had it) I had the manual key. It took my quite a while to figure out how to unlock the car. Remember the passengers door is the drivers door in the majority of cars
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I know. When I picked up my Dad's C4 (when he had it) I had the manual key. It took my quite a while to figure out how to unlock the car. Remember the passengers door is the drivers door in the majority of cars
    Oh well, not to worry.... The C4 is brilliant for two reasons... the first is my wife loves it ........ The seconds is it graphically demonstrates to you how "ordinary" new cars are and how brilliant and amazing the old pre-psa cars are to drive Damn the CX feels great to drive after the C4 (they didn't bother with suspension right?? I'm sure the axles are welded straight to the body if I check) Given CX's are what I've mostly driven since I was 16years old, you forget how good they are compared to all other cars.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

One other bit of information on th SCA Remote Central Locking. The plastic insulation on the wires is very tough. After I did a rough check to see which wires were to be joined, I then proceeded to cut the wires to length, strip the ends and crimp on the bullet connectors.

When I joined all the bullet connectors, I found that I could LOCK but not UNLOCK using the remote.

Eventually I found out that when I stripped then ends of the wire, I had also inadvertently pulled the copper strands from the their clip on the multiplug into the receiver, thus breaking the electrical flow. Undaunted, I cut a new length of the appropriate coloured wire, attached the bullet connector and then soldered the other end onto the clip in the multiplug.

Finally, there is a SCA Central Locking kit (about $25) and an SCA Remote Central Locking kit (about $50). They both look the same. It was only after I queried the staff that they checked their inventory on the computer, realised that they had two remote sets in stock and finally found them on the shelf out of sight behind the none remote sets.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flick the Plip-plip-5.jpg  

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

option maybe for some players is the GonzPlip.....

http://people.aapt.net.au/~ferngonz/plip/plip2.html

Works on the old Fuego and has been adapted for others.

cheers,
    Bob

G'Day, Bob! Your post reminded me of how close I am to you right now. I've been training a bunch of Cadet Warrant Officers at Laverton/Point Cook for the last week and I'm still here for one more. No transport but close enough to be of service if anyone has any questions.

Hi,

I had several mongoose MX80 immobilisers fitted to a few of our Citroens back in 2004 at $180 installed so we all had keyless entry systems. The only downside of that is you have to remember to open the door within 30 seconds of unlocking or it locks itself again.

Since then that AX has gone to help keep another AX running in Canberra,
    the BX19GT is resting unreg in the backyard waiting for someone who wants it (or its engine/GB)
    The Xantia Wagon is still going strong.

Cheers,

Ken W

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    So how do you fix the PITA C4 where you are only supplied one remote control key, and the only door lock is on the passenger side. It drives you bloody insane having to walk to the passenger door anytime you want to lock/unlock the car. Another reason to hate later PSA cars. Even the lowest of low 2CV's gave you a bloody lock to unlock the door with from the drivers side
    AFAIK, the original C4 is the only Australian-delivered PSA model with this design feature.

Yes, it is stupid.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    AFAIK, the original C4 is the only Australian-delivered PSA model with this design feature.

Yes, it is stupid.
    they did it will the sole intention of pissing Shane off, they knew he would own one eventually

Shane, you should have gone with your head and bought a pug, i reckon a 504 would suit you, you can't kill them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    In the headlining between the sunvisors. See photo.

John
    doh! Thanks John

Fellow Frogger!

Default another alternative to supercheap remote

With John's (JBN) help, I've just successfully fitted a Steelmate 386m remote ($49.95 from Jaycar) to my series 1 Xantia.

The main control unit has 5 wires, which I connected as follows:
    • red (fused wire) to Xantia pin 5 grey wire
    • black to Xantia pin 1 "mushroom" coloured wire
    • green to pin 3 grey wire
    • blue to pin 4 grey wire
    • ignore the brown and white wires and cut off the excess wire so that it all tucks neatly into the space above the rear vision mirror.
    Seems to work fine.

(FYI, I've attached my hands free unit to the original 'plip' cover - works well in that location.)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post

Yes, it is stupid.
    Or perhaps it was simply intended to provide the vehicle owner with a subtle incentive to not lose their plip key?
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Thread Information