DS misinformation on the Internet
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS misinformation on the Internet

We all know that the internet is a great source of info on the Citroen Ds and almost any other subject too. We also know that you can not believe everything you read.

It seems the DS attracts more than its share of this misinformation. Everyone seems to know something about these cars but is it all correct?

Try these few gems on for size!

Advertisement

"...the DS' hydraulic brakes were operated through an "on/off" button in place of the pedal, called "champignon" for its looks. This made it impossible to brake in measures. Thanks God CitroŽn dropped this feature on the DS from 1961."

or

"It is incredible to think one of CitroŽn's most famous designs was probably never really intended to be a CitroŽn. The ID/DS was originally designed by Talbot designer Walter Becchia as a replacement to the Panhard"

http://www.rallye-info.com/carmodel.asp?car=42
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Oh, good gravy, there is enough misinformation on that page it would be easier to rip it up and start again. The really sad part is whomever reads that as their introduction to the D Series will be in for a serious bit of schooling from a well-versed D enthusiast.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

no no you don't want a DS they are way too weird.

... Be afraid be very afraid!

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

UFO

Well, do we sit here like numbats and let them get away with it or provide correct advice and links to the same?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Well, do we sit here like numbats and let them get away with it or provide correct advice and links to the same?
    G'day,
    you can try, but there are more than [think of a large number] web pages out there. Anyone, including you and me, can post anything or any information, right,wrong or other, and some people believe it.
    What can you do?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

UFO

Read this page too for yet more confused drivel! It's laughable how wrong it is.

http://www.rallye-info.com/carmake_profile.asp?make=13

I wonder what other fairy tales they have made up about the other WRC competitors?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

Well I did write them a ranty-gram on their "Contact" page but their server must be hosted by NoDaddy and fails to accept my submission. I have saved the text for later.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Whoa!! Don't take this too seriously! I think it is funny how these strange stories develop and of course in this day and age when we can all publish online so easily we are going to have to get used to it. Just have to sharpen up our BS detection systems.

Has any one else got some good examples?

"Cars and scooters styled by Bertone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruppo_Bertone
    Last edited by michaelr; 4th January 2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added URL
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Tadpole

Surely there's a grain of truth to both statements?

I once had occasion to tell a bus driver that his bus was fitted with a brake pedal, not an on/off switch. As I understand the DS braked incredibly well, which could be a surprise to driver unaccustomed to the feeling.

And the Panhard 24 has some similarities with the DS in the front end and windscreen IMO. It was released many years after the DS, but I can see where the myth came from.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
    Surely there's a grain of truth to both statements?

I once had occasion to tell a bus driver that his bus was fitted with a brake pedal, not an on/off switch. As I understand the DS braked incredibly well, which could be a surprise to driver unaccustomed to the feeling.

And the Panhard 24 has some similarities with the DS in the front end and windscreen IMO. It was released many years after the DS, but I can see where the myth came from.
    Sydney trained was he? They have a similar switch on the throttle.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information