Wheels November 1955, 2cv ASY124
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Wheels November 1955, 2cv ASY124

Folks,

Recently on holidays I became truly obsessed. Bad weather, DVDs and books, so I completely read the Brooklands by R.M. Clarke entitled "Citroen 2cv 1948-1982" boom with a red car on the cover.

Advertisement

It is a great read for lovers of the 2cv like I am, but when you get on to page 32, it is a Wheels Australia article and the vehicle being tested is registered NSW ASY124. Has the old hammock style seats.

It mentioned availability for a place called Commonwealth Motors in Melbourne, which says and not suggests that these cars were locally available.

The edition date was November, 1955.

Does anyone know anything about Commonwealth Motors or how many 2cvs may have been sold by them, and if anyone else sold them new ?

Like Mustangs Australia, were there any places where you could get one new, or near new, but imported?

Chris Mortimer

Chris my father bought a French '61 ID 19 from Commonwealth Motors in about 1964. I also have some service papers for follow up services, including a 'de-coke' of the engine. But alas I don't know about the history regarding 2cvs.

Yep. Sold new in Australia up to 1958 I think.

The cars sold here in the '50's were made in the Slough (UK) factory. Those coming to Australia (and Sth Africa) were designated "export" models and had a couple of extras such as an oil bath air cleaner.

Only 627 were made apparently (I could have that number wrong, but it was definitely under 1000) of which only half were export models.

There are a few still around in Australia, one in my garage in fact.

I've got a feeling that Commonwealth Motors were the sole Australian concessionaire, but I'm not the guru on all things 2CV in Aus, there are others way more knowledgable than I. From memory they also sold Peugeot's for many years too.

That book is top notch holiday reading for the Citroen tragic!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2cv

I am not sure of the exact number of sedans imported in that period, but I am pretty sure Victoria only received three 2 cv vans ( Sydney may have received three also ? ) Any way one of these was taken to the tip and another one was exported to New Zealand to become part of the 2Cv museum owned by Mr and Mrs Trask - long term 2CV enthusiasts.

The third body and assorted panels was saved by Leigh Mason ( deceased ) in Albury about 30 years ago. I was lucky enough to take custody of this project a few years ago. I am hoping to get it back on the road in 2012. This is the fabled " Monkey Van " as far as I can tell.

cheers
    Hawk

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I am not sure of the exact number of sedans imported in that period, but I am pretty sure Victoria only received three 2 cv vans ( Sydney may have received three also ? ) Any way one of these was taken to the tip and another one was exported to New Zealand to become part of the 2Cv museum owned by Mr and Mrs Trask - long term 2CV enthusiasts.

The third body and assorted panels was saved by Leigh Mason ( deceased ) in Albury about 30 years ago. I was lucky enough to take custody of this project a few years ago. I am hoping to get it back on the road in 2012. This is the fabled " Monkey Van " as far as I can tell.

cheers
    Hawk
    Ted,
    I may have mentioned this to you before, and memory is a tricky thing, but I seem to recall that there were two early vans at Hank Dogger's place in Williamstown when that business was wound up in the seventies. Neither were goers.
    roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Folks,

Recently on holidays I became truly obsessed. Bad weather, DVDs and books, so I completely read the Brooklands by R.M. Clarke entitled "Citroen 2cv 1948-1982" boom with a red car on the cover.

It is a great read for lovers of the 2cv like I am, but when you get on to page 32, it is a Wheels Australia article and the vehicle being tested is registered NSW ASY124. Has the old hammock style seats.

It mentioned availability for a place called Commonwealth Motors in Melbourne, which says and not suggests that these cars were locally available.

The edition date was November, 1955.

Does anyone know anything about Commonwealth Motors or how many 2cvs may have been sold by them, and if anyone else sold them new ?

Like Mustangs Australia, were there any places where you could get one new, or near new, but imported?

Chris Mortimer
    At the time Commonwealth Motors in Melbourne were the Citroen distributors for Victoria, Tasmania and the Riverina. I have a copy of a souvenir Melbourne Motorshow pullout form the Argus newspaper dated April 10 1956 which includes a large advert for Commonwealth Motors. Cars featured were the new Goddess DS19, the 2CV "wonder car", a Family 9 and a Big Six. Other makes advertised were Bristol 403 and 405, Federal and Trojan trucks. I would have put the ad up here but my scanner has gone feral.
    By 1960 the distributorship had passed to Miller Motors in Melbourne (an associate company of Commonwealth Motors). After that, I think distribution was handled by Continental and General in Melbourne?
    roger

Found under the linoleum thirty years ago!
    Wheels November 1955, 2cv ASY124-img049.jpg
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2cving around

Thanks Hawk, Roger, Pottsy and Trading Estate.

Really interesting reading that info, and makes me even more passionate and obsessed.

I am heading north in two days time to hit Palm Cove in FNQ, and today one book arrived called "The Citroen" by Jonathan Wood, which will be good reading. But the one I really intend getting stuck in to is the Reynolds book Citroen 2cv third edition. It looks awesome.

Looking forward to the tropics, but looking more forward to Citerature.

Chris M

Citerature.

Chris M
    Gold!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

JBN

Thanks Hawk, Roger, Pottsy and Trading Estate.

Really interesting reading that info, and makes me even more passionate and obsessed.

I am heading north in two days time to hit Palm Cove in FNQ, and today one book arrived called "The Citroen" by Jonathan Wood, which will be good reading. But the one I really intend getting stuck in to is the Reynolds book Citroen 2cv third edition. It looks awesome.

Looking forward to the tropics, but looking more forward to Citerature.

Chris M
    If you are in Palm Cove on the 25 August 2012, there should be a number of 2CVs arriving at the end of an unofficial Raid which leaves Coober Pedy on 31 July 2012.

John

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    At the time Commonwealth Motors in Melbourne were the Citroen distributors for Victoria, Tasmania and the Riverina. I have a copy of a souvenir Melbourne Motorshow pullout form the Argus newspaper dated April 10 1956 which includes a large advert for Commonwealth Motors. Cars featured were the new Goddess DS19, the 2CV "wonder car", a Family 9 and a Big Six. Other makes advertised were Bristol 403 and 405, Federal and Trojan trucks. I would have put the ad up here but my scanner has gone feral.
    By 1960 the distributorship had passed to Miller Motors in Melbourne (an associate company of Commonwealth Motors). After that, I think distribution was handled by Continental and General in Melbourne?
    roger
    I wish I'd taken a photo, but I saw a grey 2CV converted into a small caravan and being used on someone's holiday at Halls Gap in Victoria in 1970.

There was an early one in the Adelaide University car park in the late 1960s too.

Probably information of no earthly use, but you never know.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Default Commonwealth

I was at a funeral during the week.

Met a good looking French dude, chin moustache, balding, black apparel, name Jean- Marc, attractive female partner, eating, late 40's, trendy....introduced myself, got back a French accent, then i professed to be a 2cv lover.

Told him everything about Rosie, my car in two and a half sentences. My life story in the extra half.

He told me that he was an expert and knew them very well indeed.

He converted one into a station wagon.

Wouldn't it be amazing to see what one looks like. I imagine they were special French conversions that only the French knew about. I saw a ute conversion I think owned by Bob C, in Charleston guise at a picinic day, but are there any other variants down under that we 2cv lovers should be aware of?

Chris M

JBN

Ralph H in WA has an electric powered 2CV ute that he built himself.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Default Electric 2CV!!

Wow!!!!!!!!

Any pictures of the elecric 2CV JBN?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post

cheers
    Hawk
    I have some fragmented information from The Australian Bureau of Statistics for new vehicle registrations over the years. The ABS gives these figures for 2CV car registrations for 1954, '55, and '56.

1954 - Nil
    1955 - 45 (40 in Vic, 4 in Qld, 1 in ACT)
    1956 - 20 (19 in Vic, 1 in NSW)

10 2CVs were registered as 4 rated horsepower in 1955, and the remainder as 5 rated horsepower. I assume that this reflects the capacity increase from 375cc to 425cc.

Alas, I don't have any later figures.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by colgard16 View Post
    I have some fragmented information from The Australian Bureau of Statistics for new vehicle registrations over the years. The ABS gives these figures for 2CV car registrations for 1954, '55, and '56.

1954 - Nil

Col
    Looks like the old story of the further away from the equator the more brains (all froggies excluded of course as by definition they all are highly intelligent) altho I'm not sure whether thats what these figures show!!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by colgard16 View Post

1954 - Nil

10 2CVs were registered as 4 rated horsepower in 1955, and the remainder as 5 rated horsepower. I assume that this reflects the capacity increase from 375cc to 425cc.

Alas, I don't have any later figures.

Col
    I have the chassis plates for two Slough-built 1953 cars (0134 and 0103) and one 1955 (1021).
    roger

Thread Information