Tim's sweet 1951 11BL
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Default Tim's sweet 1951 11BL

Running gear all in fires beautifully with great smooth motor. This is a car for a generation. Interior in poor but not ripped up and original condition. This one's a preserver. Weaver plate kindly organised for me by CCOCA fitted with minimal modification - little bit of filing - see pic.

Tim

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tim's sweet 1951 11BL-11bl1.jpg   Tim's sweet 1951 11BL-11bl2.jpg   Tim's sweet 1951 11BL-11bl3.jpg  

I can't wait to see it up here next to Harriet!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That's looking brilliant!!! The french built ones look so much nicer to my eyes with the painted grill. Those wheels are fabulous? Where on earth did you find a set of them for it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Yes Donat she's already sniffing the northern air. Shane I am very lucky with the original Lambert Nivelle wheels. For a period in the early 50s standard export 11BL wheels were unavailable so mine got Belgian export Lamberts. Very rare here. That's why I painted them that colour! In great condition too with little corrosion. Mr Slough40 is full bottle on them and their history but these are the first he has seen in OZ, so I'm happy!

Tim

Did you replace any of the exterior bright trim on it ?? When my father did his he purchased a lot of new "shiny" exterior trim for it. The bumpers etc he had rechromed. The re-chromed stuff is still perfect, the "new" trim is utter sh!t. Every last bit of it has heavily corroded and the chrome has lifted off. It did this in a very short time. The kicker is it's never been wet, and the cars never been driven (ie: it's been parked in a dry shed with a car cover on it since the new trim was fitted). I suggest re-plating rather than replacment if you do any of the exterior trim eg: the new (well now very old but never seen daylight or moisture) bonnet hinge is really bad.

Your plater will love you if you re-plate the bumpers. The guy my father used reckon'd they were the hardest bumpers he's even done (the metal is really hard that is, so they took a lot of supplies and effort to prep for plating).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fortunately bumpers don't require plating. For my purposes anyway. I'm throwing everything at operation, comfort and pleasing inspectors. Every boot gets leather even the smallest sign of corrosion getting new metal.

It's so much fun. Reminds me of when harriet was little.

Tim

Looks terrific and I can't ever remember seeing this car before. Is it a Victoran car?

I also see another Traction hiding in the background! Are they multiplying? They have that habit !
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Fortunately bumpers don't require plating. For my purposes anyway. I'm throwing everything at operation, comfort and pleasing inspectors. Every boot gets leather even the smallest sign of corrosion getting new metal.

It's so much fun. Reminds me of when harriet was little.

Tim
    Those bumpers are the English bars from between 1947 and 1949. Some were straight and some dipped in the centre. The true Paris bar dips at the ends as well as in the centre and is made of much lighter and unfortunately more easily deformed steel. Car looks great. Ypu have the right idea ---- getting the car driving well is most important. The pretty stuff can come later.
    Shane, Paris cars 7A and B and 7S ( the first 1911 cc Light body car) had chrome grilles often with the vertical fins painted out in black to highlight the chevrons.
    Cheers Gerry

That's a donor vehicle that's headed to Canberra. My car has been in hiding since 78. Is Victorian. And mr propsting...I discover that you rebuilt the gearbox...still unused since.

Agh! 30 years of driving my ID with it's dash mounted indicator switch and somebody has put a BMC indicator on my Traction steering column! As if!

Has anyone got a spare BL dash indicator and what's more do we know the difference between a BL and a Light 15 one?

I would be grateful for the wisdom as ever,

Tim

That's a donor vehicle that's headed to Canberra. My car has been in hiding since 78. Is Victorian. And mr propsting...I discover that you rebuilt the gearbox...still unused since.
    Did I? Whose car was it? If I did it may be wise to look at again. At the time that it was done reconditioning gearboxes was very much a case of using the best second hand parts one could find. Today all of that has changed. New parts are readily available thanks to the efforts of CTA and others reproducing out of production items!
    Cheers Gerry
    Last edited by gerrypro; 30th December 2011 at 07:17 PM.

Tim The post 52 "Malle Bombe" cars had a mechanical device very similar to the earliest ID s. I was able to procure one of these along with the correct indicator lenses and internals. I will need to get the 5 connection terminal junctions for the forward Jambonneau and the seven connection one for under the dash ( left side behind the glove compartment ) to make it all work. This will be OK because for a very short time in 1952 the small boot cars ( Malle Plat) appeared with the later indicators. A transition model. Of course I have to work out just exactly this switch was fitted!
    In the late fifties and early sixties there were a number of after market kits to retro fit indicators to older cars. You may have one of these. That of course is perfectly acceptable from an authenticity point of view!
    Cheers Gerry

Agh! 30 years of driving my ID with it's dash mounted indicator switch and somebody has put a BMC indicator on my Traction steering column! As if!

Has anyone got a spare BL dash indicator and what's more do we know the difference between a BL and a Light 15 one?

I would be grateful for the wisdom as ever,

Tim
    I'd be tempted to leave as is, you see period modifications are a part of that cars history IMO

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default tim's 11bl

Hi Tim,your 11bl looks magnificent.
    I agee with Gerry that your car is sporting a late 40's English bumper although a "curved" French number plate panel has been fitted on it.
    Also if it was French it should have overiders fitted to it although these are easily removed.
    Regarding indicators no French built tractions sold here ever had any fitted.
    There were "aftermarket"ones produced by several makers in Europe and these were of the "semaphore" type that were mounted on the front scuttle in front of the front doors.
    However I have never seen any cars in Australia fitted with these.(I have seen a number of these trafficators on French ebay over the years).
    Therefore I am assuming that your car has been fitted with flashers at some stage in its life.
    I noted that your car has Lucas (English) sidelights so I am guessing that these are being used as the front indicators.
    I would like to see a rear shot of the car to see what is being used for the rear flashers.
    I would also like to see a clearer shot of the headlamps to determine what they are.
    Gerry is correct in stating that for a short transitional period in 1952 "small boot" cars were fitted with flashers however at this time the windscreen wipers were relocated from the top of the screen to the scuttle and as your car has top mounted wipers it not a transitional model.
    Hope to catch up with you in the near future.

Brian W

Hi Brian, these changes during 1952 seemed to be a bit piece meal. It does not necessarily mean that because a small boot car was factory fitted with flashing indicators that the wipers simultaneously were moved below onto the scuttle----that is some were and some weren't. I think it was a matter of using up stocks of parts.
    I also do not mean to suggest that Tim's car is a transitional model. It is clearly 1951 as said. It could however be an interesting move in the interests of safety to fit the original 1952 flasher system. I plan to do so to my 51. I also plan to fit a second tail light of the original type on the left guard.
    Cheers Gerry

I'm glad you two guys are here. Brian, QLD is my first I hope of many decent drives, for all the reasons you are aware. That will be a series of red letter days!

The pots are marchal, lucas sealed beams. I'll have to hunt around. I've got some 'pink' marchal glasses but I don't think these will pass muster.

What switch / lamp do you two have to the lower right of the gear change? I've got a hole, which is where I thought the indicator must have been.

Tim

Gerry the box has had a thorough going over and feels great. Complete with your full report! Early Nineties, I think.

Tim

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Tim

That is one very very nice looking 11 BL!! Congratulations, I can already smell the engine and interior after a long drive.. Also the slight grinding of second gear when you don't change gears correctly:-)

One word... Awesome!!!

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Thanks Corne - don't forget to look us up when you visit Oz....

Tim

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Yes Tim

You guys are my first stop when I'm there

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

I'm glad you two guys are here. Brian, QLD is my first I hope of many decent drives, for all the reasons you are aware. That will be a series of red letter days!

The pots are marchal, lucas sealed beams. I'll have to hunt around. I've got some 'pink' marchal glasses but I don't think these will pass muster.

What switch / lamp do you two have to the lower right of the gear change? I've got a hole, which is where I thought the indicator must have been.

Tim
    Tim the bottom left is the advance retard control . It is slightly larger than the other holes for the choke starter and dash light switch.
    My old 11BN was converted to sealed beam lights. The original lamps would have been brighter if i had just replaced the bulb with a candle. For my 11BL I had the reflectors re-silvered some time ago. I am hoping that with a wiring modification by incorporating a discretely placed relay that I can achieve a better than original performance. This is a modification that Des Matthews ( who owned the 38 coupe that is now in the hands of Les Francis /John Vanchop ) performed successfully back in the late 60s. I remember seeing the car when he came to visit Dad late at night the lights were quite impressive as all of the 6 volts actually got to the filament! Also lights can be helped by replacing the bulbs with QI s from this bloke http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com
    I jave a pair in my Light 15 and yes they are available in the 6 volt European lamp base BA-21d. I have included some pics of the bulb and it's fitting into the reflector back. If you look closely you will see that the Circuit board material holding the contact legs is cracked. This is a fault that happens all too often. The board distort under strain from the contact legs. I have backed it with a steel plate but have yet to finish insulating each contact from the body of the lamp holder!
    Cheers Gerry
    BTW Good to here that the gearbox is functioning well. There is so little feedback from people after work has been done! I do hope you are using NulonG70 in it. That stuff is Magic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tim's sweet 1951 11BL-dsc03804.jpg   Tim's sweet 1951 11BL-dsc03803.jpg   Tim's sweet 1951 11BL-dsc03802.jpg   Tim's sweet 1951 11BL-dsc03801.jpg  
    Last edited by gerrypro; 31st December 2011 at 09:57 AM.

Default tim's 11BL

Hi Gerry & Tim,regarding 6 volt headlamps.When I was using my 11BL on a daily basis back in the late 70's I solved the problem of starting and poor lighting by fitting an 8 volt battery.
    However the extra 2 volts was very hard on the headlamp bulbs and as a result I was regulary having to change them.
    When I re purchased the car a few years ago I was aware of the availability of 6 volt QI bulbs and I asked Kev Baker of KB Classic Parts to supply me with some.
    Kev advised me against this as he told me that using the QI bulbs would blacken the reflectors in a very short time.
    Since that time I have seen a number of tractions (both 6 & 12 volt) fitted with QI bulbs and yes they all had blackened reflectors.
    Regarding indicators,it was my intention to fit post '52 flashers and I purchased a complete set from CCOCA spares (I also bought a set of "Robri" embellishers).
    However when I came to fit them I baulked at the idea of drilling holes in the guards & body.
    I then bought a set of motorcycle flashers and have mounted these on the bumpers.I have also mounted a second stop/tailamp on the rear bumper.
    As for headlamp glasses and reflectors I am sure you would be able to get what you need from either CTA or TOC spares.
    Until next time,
    Happy tractioning
    Brian W

Fellow Frogger!

Default Traction de Tim

Tim,

It is superb, but I don't know much about them, though it has been interesting seeing what others have had to say about it.

Looks very tidy and clean, and I love your long term perspective and visions of using it for year to come, and I reckon it will get lots of use.

Like Shane I love the wheels especially, and the body looks great too.

I have just spent a motza on my 2cv, and the major goal for 2011 was to have it driving the way it should. What it looks like comes in second or third.

Once it is driving the correct way, that is when the true satisfaction starts to kick in.

Congratulations which this car. Absolutely beautiful.

Chris Mortimer

2cv Special, C4 and BMW diesel daily runners

Thanks mate, we hope to pay some visits on our Northern sojourn - looking like first school hols of 2012. Perhaps we could swing by.

Best,

Tim

Corne we always have a bed / or two for international guests. Just had a wonderful
    Swedish family visit - makes life worth living and we all learn so much in a short time. So I mean it, really.

Tim

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information