C5 or Laguna?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 or Laguna?

Default C5 or Laguna?

Here's hoping I don't upset anyone by asking but as a value for money quality and driving experience which car would you consider buying.
    Both cars are 2002 models, both have a V6 3L engine, both are automatics and Laguna is a Privilege model while the C5 is an Exclusive.
    The Laguna has done 39,000 Km, the C5 has done 85,000 Km and are both a similar price.

Which is the better buy? Yeah I know this is the Citroen group but if you think the C5 is a better car then tell me why. I've only owned a couple of Renaults and they just don't compare with these two cars.

cheers,

Advertisement
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Quote Originally Posted by biologist View Post
    Here's hoping I don't upset anyone by asking but as a value for money quality and driving experience which car would you consider buying.
    Both cars are 2002 models, both have a V6 3L engine, both are automatics and Laguna is a Privilege model while the C5 is an Exclusive.
    The Laguna has done 39,000 Km, the C5 has done 85,000 Km and are both a similar price.

Which is the better buy? Yeah I know this is the Citroen group but if you think the C5 is a better car then tell me why. I've only owned a couple of Renaults and they just don't compare with these two cars.

cheers,
    Personally, I would buy the Laguna. But I wouldn't sell the Xantia for it!

Good luck with the decision.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It'd be down to the gearboxes for me .... Can you get the Renault with a proper gearbox? C5's only have dubious slugomatics. Though being a v6 should mean it doesn't have the AL4 gearbox.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

All the Lagunas available have auto boxes, they are five speeds though. For around 10-11K they seem pretty good value but very few people here seem all that enthused about the idea of buying one....
    Last edited by biologist; 28th December 2011 at 01:23 AM.
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

I thought C5 V6's also used AL4 transmissions like the 4 cylinder version? Is it a 4 speed or 6 speed auto?

The C5 I'm considering has a four speed according to it's specs...
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Fellow Frogger!

To my knowledge the V6s were never fitted with the AL4. If it is 4 speed it will be a ZF.

Still important that it has been treated properly & had at least one oil change with that mileage on it.

Richard

I'd take the Laguna.

Thank you all for the comments and advice.
    After most peoples comments about the C5 I decided to leave that option, had a look at a couple of diesel C4 auto's but they were just outside my budget. Missed out on one C4 by 5 mins, bought for around $14500 by a lucky chap.
    The Laguna in question has been well looked after and regularly serviced by a good French car mechanic here in Perth. It has had its cambelt done and has had all its coil packs fail plus several door mechanisms. Pretty normal stuff it would seem. Despite this as I live some distance from work and won't have the luxury of a second car if the Laguna decides to stop I have decided to get a Megane Sedan.
    I found a 2008 Megane with 43K full service, in excellent nick for $13,000 and drives like new. Not a Laguna but a decent car.

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Quote Originally Posted by biologist View Post
    Thank you all for the comments and advice.
    After most peoples comments about the C5 I decided to leave that option, had a look at a couple of diesel C4 auto's but they were just outside my budget. Missed out on one C4 by 5 mins, bought for around $14500 by a lucky chap.
    The Laguna in question has been well looked after and regularly serviced by a good French car mechanic here in Perth. It has had its cambelt done and has had all its coil packs fail plus several door mechanisms. Pretty normal stuff it would seem. Despite this as I live some distance from work and won't have the luxury of a second car if the Laguna decides to stop I have decided to get a Megane Sedan.
    I found a 2008 Megane with 43K full service, in excellent nick for $13,000 and drives like new. Not a Laguna but a decent car.

cheers,
    Ye Gods - "several door mechanisms" and "all the coil packs"! Glad it is a normal Laguna.

At 43K the Megane IS new by my standards. Good choice IMHO and hope you enjoy it.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Congratulations on the car. Good choice i think.

Congratulations on the purchase, I also think it was a good choice. I hope the car serves you well.

Tadpole

I have had both. The C5 is a gem compared to the Laguana

I should add that the decision to buy a Megane sedan was influenced by my wifes own Megane sedan puchase. We picked up a 2007 Sedan with only 39,000 Km for $12K about five weeks ago. I was a bit indifferent at first, not ugly but not sticking, but then after the Spider everything seems a little bland really. However after being driven around in it on weekends enjoying the quite reasonable ride and comfort levels way better than the Forrester and an excellent aircon system I started to like the car. After the feedback here I decided I'd see if I could find another cheap Megane sedan and was lucky to get the last one in the batch of about a dozen cars bought over from Qld and sold for between $12K and $14K, none with more than 45,000 km on the odo and few of the cars lasted more than a day or so in the sale yard. Mine survived so long because it was sent in for a detail, the last driver was a smoker and the detail really did a good job, no smell at all.

I've had the car a few days now and its a much nicer drive than the Forrester. Not as hard core as the RS Clio, but as a commuter to work and home each day, ideal.

Many thanks for all the comments, cheers
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Thread Information