Rear facing baby seat in a Citroen C4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Rear facing baby seat in a Citroen C4

Hi Guys,

has anyone managed to fit a rear face baby seat in a C4 ?? Ordering in an isofix car seat from UK is possible I guess

Advertisement

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

But your girls are too big for a baby seat Shane. Or is there something you're not telling us?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

This was something I wanted to know too for my C3. Do we need a specific brand of baby seat for Citroen?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    This was something I wanted to know too for my C3. Do we need a specific brand of baby seat for Citroen?
    that's going to be even smaller inside than a C4 right (is that possible ). You'll likely fit in in the middle seat, but all the crap you need to carry won't have a hope in hell of fitting into the boot ... nappy bags, prams, pushers etc....

I'm going to have to drag a babyseat down out of the shed roof and see if it even comes close. I imagine the isofix seats out of the UK will be physically smaller and may fit (as the C4 is consider a big family car over there ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hi Shane,

We don't have any trouble fitting aussie car seats rearward facing in C5 or Xantia or Xsara for Dave's children. They can restrict how far back you can have the passenger seat but they go OK using the seat belt and the normal fixing points.

Cheers,

Ken W

In the xantia hatch, we could only fit it in the middle. Well it did fit behind the front seats, but you would have to be a legless midget to fit in the front. Not even my wife could fit in there as the seats needed to be fully forward. Did you fit the seats rear facing ? (they take up about twice the space).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

I have just replaced the rear facing baby capsule with a forward facing seat recently for my 7 month old son in my 1985 BX16 TRS. Did not encounter a single problem.

In Queensland we have s scheme run by Queensland Ambulance where you pay about $80.00 to hire a baby capsule for 6 months. It is fitted by them at any local ambulance station and when I returned it they fitted the forward facing seat I bought for free. My local station at Spring Hill told me he never had problems fitting capsules/seats to Citroens including a 1973 2CV that came in recently.

If they fit in an old BX leaving plenty of room they will also in a C4. The capsule was a Safe n Sound and the new seat is a Baby Love.

Tadpole

We encountered no problems with child seats when we had our C4 SX. Also, the hatch took all the paraphanalia associated with two children.

Arrival of third child last year saw us move to C4 Pic.

I enjoy showing the C4 Pic to people and pointing out how much room it has, particularly to those who purchased a Prado on the arrival of 3kg of infant. The Australian belief is that 2.5T of truck is what you need and anything else is way too small.

Fox
    Tadpole

Just a quick question on the baby seat/capsule. Will any of the car seats available in the Australian Market fit in the C4 for a new born baby.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Ordering in an isofix car seat from UK is possible I guess
    But, sadly, illegal at the moment...... Illegal to fit/use, that is..... Isofix is not (?yet) approved for use in Australia, I don't believe....

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Metal View Post
    I have just replaced the rear facing baby capsule with a forward facing seat recently for my 7 month old son in my 1985 BX16 TRS. Did not encounter a single problem.

In Queensland we have s scheme run by Queensland Ambulance where you pay about $80.00 to hire a baby capsule for 6 months. It is fitted by them at any local ambulance station and when I returned it they fitted the forward facing seat I bought for free.
    Leave them rear-facing as long as you can - much safer.

I always have a giggle about the Ambos fitting car seats. Had a Queenslander family turn up on our doorstep a few years back wanting us to do the same thing - they had the hire car & the seat, but no-one had fitted it for them - they wanted us (me) to fit it. I told him I'd happily do so, but with no guarantees & a ~$400 would be on it's way...... (I was stirring him up, but he didn't get the joke at that point). He just looked blankly....! I then explained to him that we don't do it, and reffered him on to the RACV...... poor guy, no-one bothered to help him with it at the car rental joint

Any more news Shane on your baby seats? I will look at maybe hiring mine.

I still need to check. I'll drag one down out of the roof over easter and see I guess. The car is very bloody tiny inside though. The XM is like an immensely huge tank in comparison. I'll try the pusher in the boot too. I find it highly unlikely even just the pusher itself will fit.

Don't worry though, I still have a proper car here. The mighty CX is always happy to cart kid seats around

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane,

So the kids can only go out for 90 days a year right?

Cheers,

Ken W

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Shane,

So the kids can only go out for 90 days a year right?

Cheers,

Ken W
    Sounds good to me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Just a quick question on the baby seat/capsule. Will any of the car seats available in the Australian Market fit in the C4 for a new born baby.
    Yes, any car from the mid '70s onward should have the child anchorage points required.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I just sat the baby seat behind the passenger front seat, and I can still fit in the front ... Not with lots of room, but I still fit. That's just plain bizzare, I couldn't even get into the Xantia or CX with it behind the front seats. It must be because you sit on the floor in the Xantia/CX and stretch your legs forward rather than down like the C4

seeya,
    Shane L.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

When did you get the C4 Shane?

I don't know wether our girls would have put up facing the rear for long. When we had our first the only baby 'capsule' was a basinet that went across the whole of the back seat and held in by straps that would rotate the whole unit on a pendulum arrangement. A few months later the one we know and love came out and we bought it and fitted in the centre position on the 504. Then we progressed to the seat, again in the centre and then a booster seat with a shoulder harness until they were about 9. Obviously when you have two, they have to sit in the outer position, not the as safe as the centre.

How many kids do you have Shane
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I don't know wether our girls would have put up facing the rear for long. When we had our first the only baby 'capsule' was a basinet that went across the whole of the back seat and held in by straps that would rotate the whole unit on a pendulum arrangement. A few months later the one we know and love came out and we bought it and fitted in the centre position on the 504. Then we progressed to the seat, again in the centre and then a booster seat with a shoulder harness until they were about 9. Obviously when you have two, they have to sit in the outer position, not the as safe as the centre.

How many kids do you have Shane
    We have about 2.5kids ....

The C4 really is a weeny little car .... But that's why we got it!!!! (about a week before we found out another child was on the way ).

I don't want to have to sell it though. It's getting 5L/100kms running around town, and it's done about 35,000kms from new. Even if we got $15,000 for it .... What on earth could it be replaced with that wouldn't cost an arm/leg to run

There's no way I'd touch a C5 with it's inherent issues. The damn thing would need to be free, and everyday it was used you'd be crossing your fingers wondering what will break that's expensive today (just like the XM). AL4 gearboxes, suspension/steering hoses, "clutched" alternators .... and the list goes on. A 407 could be a possibility if you could find an oil burner with a proper manual gearbox. But we'd be swapping a car that's done 35,000kms for something that's likely done 235,000kms

Honestly I'd probably look for a local car on LPG. something that just goes when my wife needs it. LPG would have to stay cheap though.

Ideal would be if the C4 could be used for the majority of shop/school running and the mighty CX will do any trips (I'd just have to move it back onto full registration if we found it was being used to much). The CX is too expensive to run fuel wise though if it was used a lot though. Also I couldn't afford all the speeding fines Ang would get .... she would never let a car pass her if she started driviing it all the time

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear facing baby seat in a Citroen C4-c4.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

in the clio i had it set up on the front seat, just make sure you disable the airbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta View Post
    in the clio i had it set up on the front seat, just make sure you disable the airbag.
    I keep telling her she'd look really stylish driving a nice salmon pink ID19 around .... There's HEAPs more space inside than any crappy modern car .... She just doesn't want to listen though. She's one strange women right

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

she can't be driven in an ID19! to be in any form of DS you need to have a beard. babies cant grow beards.

Now I see from the photo you not only want the seat facing the back, but lying down as well. Is the seat for the new born. I presume she is too old for a capsule, or is it just that a capsule won't fit in the C4. I think it would be a very tight fit for a capsule in the C4 but could be surprised. They are within 50mm exactly the same size as a BX. Pity they don't ride as well. When that ID is finished with salmon paintwork gleaming she might come around. Might have to have working AC though to clinch the deal

As for an economical machine, have you had a look at the Prius C. Mid $20k and 3.7l/100km on the city cycle. If the C3 diesel came out with a EGS gearbox it might give it a run, but I am pretty sure we only get the manual here. Out of the question for a city hack IMHO.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

thats if you believe the toyota marketing hype. they're not that good on fuel and nothing to drive/be in compared to say, a base fiesta.

i'm of the opposite opinion, you need a manual in a city hack, automatic small cars are the worst.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information