Urgent: Comments on C5 2008 HDI 6speed
  • Register
  • Help
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default Urgent: Comments on C5 2008 HDI 6speed

Well it's nearly 2 years since I defected from C5 to Camry.

Bloody hell, I want to get get back into a C5 a soon as I can, and sell that Camry boring piece of sh1t.

Advertisement

So..... I can sign up tomorrow on the dotted line for a 2008 HDI 6speed.

Please let me know if anyone has had trouble with them and also the do's and don'ts.
    I knowthe engine oil has to be Total only so as not to void warranty, what else do you know?
    Any remarks? Good car or not?
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

UFO

LOVE LOVE LOVE ours!

The only issues we have had were the brake wiring harness that was fixed under warranty. We have not had the rear brake excessive wear that others have complained about.

The car has done +52,000 km now and just keeps pleasing us.

If you can avoid getting one with 18" wheels and get the 17" instead then go with those. The 18" might give a barely perceptible handing improvement, but I think the 17" would give slightly better comfort - which is what Citroen is about.

Unless you are regularly carrying a full carload and/or towing a permitted trailer, do not bother with the V6. The 2l HDi is fine.

We get around 6.9 l/100km on highway runs and usually around 8.9 if a whole tank is used on city driving and I don't get to aggro.

Any 2008 C5 is now going to be at end of warranty or just out of it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Our C5 has just rolled over 14,000km. With around 60% of our travel being on the open road travelling to Perth and the other 40% on trips into town (16km round trip) the trip computer is showing 6.0l/100km.

It is the comfort that you want. It is almost decadent wafting along in such a comfortable car. I've even got used to the automatic. The 2.0l engine is fine for a sedate life. On the open road 135-40kph comes up quickly if you don't watch it when overtaking.

If you want to burn off the Falcodores at the lights then look for a different car, unless you have a spare oil well.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the floating sensation!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

ThanksGuys for the quick reply, should have mentioned it is 2008 but the previous model, with boomerang tail lights.
    Sold in 2009 so will get warranty 'till July 2012.
    Thank you nevertheless.

UFO

Similar engine and superb gearbox though.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Can only agree with the others re the x7. There is a guy down the road from me who has a 2.2 version of the model you are looking at. Sounds like he loves it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Fellow Frogger

Is it black? The very last cars of the old series sold were mostly black.

The later cars are well sorted out and the 6 speed HDi is a totally different proposition to the 2.0 petrol I know you had previously. It has more power and the gearbox is excellent. They represent good value for money, but beware the likely impact of the X7's that are turning 3 and being rolled over into the used market as leases end. It will tend to push the older models down a bit, making them an even better deal. If it has the balance of the factory warranty, then there's little to worry about other than wear and abuse problems that may exist. If it's a clean example, there won't be a lot to look out for in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Is it black? The very last cars of the old series sold were mostly black.

The later cars are well sorted out and the 6 speed HDi is a totally different proposition to the 2.0 petrol I know you had previously. It has more power and the gearbox is excellent. They represent good value for money, but beware the likely impact of the X7's that are turning 3 and being rolled over into the used market as leases end. It will tend to push the older models down a bit, making them an even better deal. If it has the balance of the factory warranty, then there's little to worry about other than wear and abuse problems that may exist. If it's a clean example, there won't be a lot to look out for in any event.
    Thanks David.

Not black but very dark grey. Yes still under warranty till July 2012. 65000lms, $18000-$19000 mark.
    Reasonable deal I guess?

Fellow Frogger

Sounds reasonable for the kms / age, but remember it was probably built during late 2007. Check for the build date, which will precede the compliance date by possibly a year. It's on a separate plate in the boot or a sticker on a pillar. Compare the price to other cars on offer, but sold earlier although probably the same build.

It should have the turning headlamps? They are very worthwhile. The only options of note would have been a sunroof and SatNav, but I expect that's quite unlikely.

I think you'll like it, but make sure it idles evenly, the turbo does not whistle/whine, especially on overrun and that it has a clean service history.
    Last edited by David S; 21st December 2011 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Thanks David.

Not black but very dark grey. Yes still under warranty till July 2012. 65000lms, $18000-$19000 mark.
    Reasonable deal I guess?
    Is it 2l or 2.2? I had a gold 07 2.2 with sat nav and sunroof that I had to sell because of financial pressure earlier this year but I loved the car. It had done 80,000k's and the only thing that played up were the tyre pressure sensors, which the dealer fixed under warrantee..
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name the dealer, but I bought the car in Brisbane from the only Citroen dealer there who also sell Peugeot, Skoda, Saab etc. I wouldn't even consider buying a car like this from anywhere else after the deal and service I got from them, both before and after the purchase. Spot on..
    The price sounds about right, but as others have said you have to see exactly when it was built and the Aust compliance date. Beware the unofficial 'European Prestige' dealers - there are a couple in Brisbane who get the cars the 'others reject' which sound good but these 'boutique' cars have to be looked after properly and as a rule the good trade ins, especially of this vintage are kept and sold by the Citroen dealers..
    Be thorough in your research, service history, check with whoever serviced it and also with (if it isn't from a Citroen dealer ) the warrantee date end. It will be in Citroen Aust computer system and Citroen dealers can help you.
    They are great, special cars and I hope you enjoy it. Just be patient though, if everythings not right, give this one a miss and another one will come along very soon.
    Best of luck.

Once again, thank you for all your input.

Following your advice about service, I looked into it further and rang CiTROEN in Brissie who don't appear to have service records for it.

Alarm bells strted ringing and went then further and accessed the public side of citroen-service in France, it turns out the end of warranty date for this car is different to what iswritten on log book.

For me , that's enough question marks to steer clear of this vehicle....so will give it a miss.

PS: Yes Kev, it was from an unofficial "Euro Prestige" dealer.

harrison, Good move. Shame it sounded great....

Tadpole

Default 2008/09 C5 experiences

Hi, I have a current shape C5 2L diesel. I have posted the various issues with my vehicle on this forum. In a nutshell, my vehicle had some early engine management microprocessor problems that resulted in the vehicle being off the road for some weeks until the correct part could be procured (by stripping the part from an unsold car!!). Apart from that, the car has been extremely reliable and a joy to drive. I had had to replace the front AND rear rotors (the rear rotors were replaced first), along with pads. It seems that once a set of pads is worn, so too are the rotors - there is not much room to machine them and get a bit more wear.

Although the current shape is very classy, comfortable, and well made, it is far less practical than the first series C5 (I had a 2005 diesel). Rear legroom is much poorer, and the current vehicle is a straight sedan rather than a more useful hatchback.

Good points in my current C5 are the really smooth 6 speed gearbox (the older model had a terrible box), slippery cruising with little wind noise, and general build quality. The dual zone aircon is great but rear passengers only get 2 small B pillar outlets so in hot weather it is not so comfortable in the rear.

Although I love my C5 and will be holding on to it for some time yet, I don't think that I would buy another Citroen (I have had several), mainly because of the very poor management of spare parts availability etc by the importer Ateco, and the constant price discounting that has wrecked resale value. For example, the microprocessor that caused the car to be off the road for weeks could not be sourced from France within a reasonable time (hence the cannibalising of an unsold new car), and genuine rotors for the rear brakes could not be sourced at all within Australia, so the dealer ended up using non-genuine rotors manufactured in England but widely available in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Once again, thank you for all your input.

Following your advice about service, I looked into it further and rang CiTROEN in Brissie who don't appear to have service records for it.

Alarm bells strted ringing and went then further and accessed the public side of citroen-service in France, it turns out the end of warranty date for this car is different to what iswritten on log book.

For me , that's enough question marks to steer clear of this vehicle....so will give it a miss.

PS: Yes Kev, it was from an unofficial "Euro Prestige" dealer.
    It's a shame mate, but I'm glad you did your homework and you have made a wise decision. My mate bought a Jag from one of those dealers and it was an absolute lemon. Bastards didn't want to know once he left their yard, (just a few minutes from the city).
    Why don't you give the Brisbane Citroen dealer a ring and tell them what you are interested in and see what they have? They have two used sections; one for late model lowK's and another for older trade ins that are too good to wholesale and their turnover is often faster than the internet listings. I did this and they did contact me with cars a couple of times, and it was only a few days later that they got mine in. As I said, they were very good to deal with. I know it's more $ but have a look at their website and look at the 08 Beige (gold to us yokels) with cream interior....magnifique!

Thread Information