• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Fitting air horns to a D Special

UFO

Default Fitting air horns to a D Special

All

After driving the D in Sydney weekday traffic the other day and nearly getting clobbered three times, I figured it may be time to stop being polite on the horns and remind people what they nearly did or are about to do. They seem to take notice when audibly prompted by the CX

Anyway I have at least two sets of second hand air horns sitting in the shed and thought it may be time to fit a set to the D as the "country horns" set. I'm ok with doing the electrical work to install them, but when looking at the engine bay the other day I just could not work out quite the best place for them to go.

Advertisement

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice and perhaps even photos of a good installation that I can emulate.

Thanks
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    All

After driving the D in Sydney weekday traffic the other day and nearly getting clobbered three times, I figured it may be time to stop being polite on the horns and remind people what they nearly did or are about to do. They seem to take notice when audibly prompted by the CX

Anyway I have at least two sets of second hand air horns sitting in the shed and thought it may be time to fit a set to the D as the "country horns" set. I'm ok with doing the electrical work to install them, but when looking at the engine bay the other day I just could not work out quite the best place for them to go.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice and perhaps even photos of a good installation that I can emulate.

Thanks
    Craig,
    I plan on doing the same thing at some stage...

A few good reference pics here http://www.citromuseum.com/index.php?id=160&L=1

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitting air horns to a D Special-air-horns.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Thanks Chris - never thought of looking at Henri's site.

Gives me food for thought.

Other suggestions still welcome though
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

M. UFO,

Having owned several DS over a period of years IIRC there was no one singular place for the installation..or even a preferred single supplier...different cars had the horns mounted differently but all were positioned similarly to the illustration above... left side or right.

Icon12

Thanks Chris - never thought of looking at Henri's site.

Gives me food for thought.

Other suggestions still welcome though
    Hey Craig ol' mate... you wouldn't have a spare OE horn relay per chance, wants one
    Not fitting mine until I get one

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitting air horns to a D Special-horn-relay.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Hi Craig. Air horns are standard equipment on DS 23 Pallas cars,and they are usually mounted in a similar way to the pic shown to you by GreenBlood. Perhaps someone who has a DS 23 Pallas can take a photo and show you where to mount them. It's late at night for me now,and i am sorry if I am not able to post a pic of the mounting place for air horns,by the way what make of air horns have you got. On The DS 23 cars they use FIAMM. Cheers Craig and all the best for Christmas. Joe
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

There you go, Craig. Off my 74 Pallas, minus compressor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitting air horns to a D Special-dec12-027.jpg  
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

On the roof with a blue flashing light.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

DS

I mounted mine inside the front guard. There were some existing holes to mount the trumpets and blower so it was easier than fiddling around down low. I once mounted a set on a car in the "origianl" spot only to end up with them getting water in them after a drive in the rain.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    On the roof with a blue flashing light.
    Now there's an idea!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    I mounted mine inside the front guard. There were some existing holes to mount the trumpets and blower so it was easier than fiddling around down low. I once mounted a set on a car in the "origianl" spot only to end up with them getting water in them after a drive in the rain.
    You made a very good point,because it seems that the factory mounted position is prone to collecting water ,mud, and any other crap. On my Pallas,I discovered that the two trumpets were completely clogged with sand,which had hardened ,causing the trumpets to stop working. I had to dismantle everything,dislodge all the sand,and hey presto, the trumpets were blowing properly. The compressor can accept LHM oil,as suggested by JackAfrica ,or maybe sewing machine oil. Cheers. Joe. that blue light on the roof is an excellent idea.

UFO

Obviously if the trumpets get clogged up with stuff they are not being used regularly enough!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

Perhaps I should try to emulate our friend Alain's setup?

FWIW, you know there is a 1:43 model of a DS Ambulance? Well this is the 1:1 version, fully restored by Alain.

Note the extra special bits and pieces.

I think UFO with a big GENDARMERIE sticker down the side could be fun. I'm sure I could pick up a blue light in Jaycar etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitting air horns to a D Special-af-ds-horn1.jpg   Fitting air horns to a D Special-af-ds-horn2.jpg   Fitting air horns to a D Special-af-ds-horn3.jpg   Fitting air horns to a D Special-af-ds-horn4.jpg   Fitting air horns to a D Special-af-ds-horn5.jpg   Fitting air horns to a D Special-af-ds-horn6.jpg  

Last edited by UFO; 19th December 2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: to fix the spelling of gendarmerie!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Perhaps I should try to emulate our friend Alain's setup?

FWIW, you know there is a 1:43 model of a DS Ambulance? Well this is the 1:1 version, fully restored by Alain.

Note the extra special bits and pieces.

I think UFO with a big GENDARMIE sticker down the side could be fun. I'm sure I could pick up a blue light in Jaycar etc.
    Probably right Craig.,the car was a country car,not a city car,and also the P.O. was a church minister from Gisborne in Victoria,who most likely was averse to using the air horns. The pics of Alains car are fantastic,he placed the air horns in a protected space,so no water or mud can foul up the trumpets. By the way,the last pic of the DS ambulance with the blue light on the roof,has an Alfa Romeo Giulia Super next to it on the left side ,either made in 1969 or 1970. I can tell by the side profile and the shape of the front S/S bumper bar,and also because I have of of those in my garage. Cheers. Joe

In Eloise they are on the drivers side with a relay running from the secondary throw switch wire from the town horns.
    The air horns are FIAMM and are pointed downwards I guess to avoid the water issue and kinda touch the spare wheel tyre.

hope this helps.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Fellow Frogger!

Please tell: What is the bell like structure beside the distributor ?
    hardly a good place for a noise making device trapped in there with the fan to cover its noise .

What a lovely CLEAN engine compartment..better than when it was new methinks.

UFO

This is a genuine DS Ambulance and the bell is one that is supposed to ring away at high speed when the button inside is pressed. The sirens sound continuously with that high low sound. In the video below both the bell and sirens are a bit week and it is likely that it is because the car is idling and as I understand from Alain this was the first time the car had run for about 12 months.

Alain tells me that when he has driven it on the highways even with no lights and siren going, other vehicles move out of the way. Neat trick.

The interior of the ambulance is correctly fitted with stretcher and rear seat for the attending ambulance officer.

Yes he has a couple of Alfas in his collection, some other interesting cars, including Citroens and an amazing collection of motorbikes. He and partner Valerie have just opened a private "by appointment only" museum in the village of Toucy in the Burgundy Region.

So, to the video, and forgive my rambling away in the background...

Last edited by UFO; 20th December 2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Try This

http://youtu.be/NWXoQADZAAw

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Well stone the crows..the things I see on this site never cease to amaze me.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Well stone the crows..the things I see on this site never cease to amaze me.
    +1 That is a gorgeous ambulance.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Yes it is an ambulance technically.

But, you know me, I never shy away from controversy. So I'd like to add that it is not a normal "ambulance".

French DS ambulances in France were always white with frosted windows at the back.

This is actually a rescue vehicle from the Sapeur-Pompiers (Fire Rescue) as you can see I'm sure by the colour of the car. But, hey, yes it is an ambulance........but from the Fire Service.

Okay, now I just wait for the bombardment.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Yes it is an ambulance technically.

But, you know me, I never shy away from controversy. So I'd like to add that it is not a normal "ambulance".

French DS ambulances in France were always white with frosted windows at the back.

This is actually a rescue vehicle from the Sapeur-Pompiers (Fire Rescue) as you can see I'm sure by the colour of the car. But, hey, yes it is an ambulance........but from the Fire Service.

Okay, now I just wait for the bombardment.
    As a Parisian I can tell you that you are 100% correct .

Just depends on your definition of an ambulance. In this neck of the woods if you have an accident or a health crisis you call the pompiers who arrive in a red ambulance. If you feel crook and need to go to outpatients you call the SAMU who come in a white ambulance. There have been some demarcation disputes between the Pompier, SAMU and private ambulance services.The pompiers have red rescue vehicles and also red ambulances which are mobile resuscitation units, with paramedics and defibs etc. They are the favourite choice to save heart attack victims.
    If you are ever in a road accident scene in France and there are injured, call the Pompiers not the ambulance services.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 20th December 2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

UFO

Regardless of which organisation's name tag is attached to it, it is still an ambulance.

A vehicle specially equipped for taking sick or injured people to and from the hospital, esp. in emergencies.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I was.......sharing the knowledge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information