BX16valve engine/Mi16 engine
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default BX16valve engine/Mi16 engine

Hi all - I am thinking of finally getting my BX 16 valver back on the road and am currently doing the costing to see if I can afford to. The engine died and rather than rebuild it I am thinking of looking around for a good second hand one. Also, I have been told that it is the same motor as in the series 1 Pug Mi16 - would one of these fit and work with all the Citroen bits? Is the series 2 Mi16 motor, apparently same as in Xantia, compatible? Any info appreciated.

cheers
    Greg

Advertisement

Hi Greg,

The early alloy-block 1905cc Mi16 is exactly the same engine as the BX 16V apart from (I think) the end of the exhaust cam is keyed or threaded for the HP pump pully on the BX version. Apart from that they're the same. This engine is the XU9J4Z or the DFW.

Some one please correct me about the exhaust cam if I'm wrong.

The S2 Mi16 and Xantia motor is the XU10J4. It is an iron-block 1998cc engine. It's a bit different to the XU9, I'll just mention the differences that would effect a transplant. The HP is in a different position, similar to 8V BX's so you would have to do some re-piping, also the engine loom/ecu would be a bit different and I'm not sure what the cooling or oil breather pipes are like.

It probably would be best to rebuild an XU9 as they're all getting pretty tired these days, how is yours dead?

Tadpole

I had heard something about the cam being threaded for the pump. The cost of rebuilding the motor is beyond my resources so I'll bide my time until a good one comes along. Regarding the dead motor - it was going fine and wouldn't start one morning - sent it to local Pug mechanic on a tow truck and he said there was no compression and guessed that the cam belt (recently replaced) had broken or jumped.

It's always nasty when a belt breaks/jumps. It almost always results in bent valves. The engine is identical to that fitted to the 1.9L Mi16, other than the pulley for the pump. On the Mi16 a pulley, driven by the exhaust cam, is used to drive power steering pump. I'm unsure whether it's exactly the same pulley on a BX16V, but the drive mechanism is identical - just that bolt in the end of the cam.

These motors are really getting old in the tooth now and the chances of finding a low km example are pretty slim. You'd be looking at $4-$5K to fully rebuild yours.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

You don't need to rebuild the whole motor, but you do need a new set of valves, probably all 16. I am just in the process of replacing them on a Pug Mi16 where the belt broke. Have just taken teh ehad off and yes all 16 valves are bent.
    Regards, Erik

Tadpole

The engine has done 240k so I wonder if it is viable to just do the valves?

inspect the pistons really well while you're in there. trying to dig up pics but a pal of mine has a snapped cambelt engine that's got nice dings, and cracks in the pistons where the valves have clouted them (one had a valve actually snap the head off and make a hell of a mess)

Thread Information