ID19 rear valence panel
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default ID19 rear valence panel

After some years of inactivity I've got back to working on my '58 Slough ID19. I've completed the rust repairs around the back of the car and yesterday I threw some primer on the rear body closing panel. This car is fitted with an unusual additional steel valence which is attached to the lower edge of the body closing panel. It is obviously factory but there is a certain crudeness about the manufacturing. My earlier Slough dee doesn't have this panel and it doesn't show up in any of the body or parts manuals that I have.
    Any comments?
    roger

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 rear valence panel-dscn1571.jpg   ID19 rear valence panel-dscn1575.jpg  

DS

Very unusual. What makes it seem a factory fitted panel?
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Its a support panel for a giant body kit!!?

That is unusual
    Dan

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    After some years of inactivity I've got back to working on my '58 Slough ID19. I've completed the rust repairs around the back of the car and yesterday I threw some primer on the rear body closing panel. This car is fitted with an unusual additional steel valence which is attached to the lower edge of the body closing panel. It is obviously factory but there is a certain crudeness about the manufacturing. My earlier Slough dee doesn't have this panel and it doesn't show up in any of the body or parts manuals that I have.
    Any comments?
    roger
    Isn't that interesting, I've never seen anything like it on any Ds I've come across...

Perhaps it's function is the same as the large rubber mud flaps fitted to later cars, I guess to keep the dust down and attempts to keep dust from swirling into the boot??? If original, maybe something fitted to cars destined for dusty climes?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

That was only used on the South African model.

My 1959 Slough DS19 has that panel. It is quite flimsy and its bottom edge sits about an inch below the botom of the rear bumper. The car also has rubber mudflaps. I have no evidence that it is a South African model. It does have a German identification plate on the firewall.

Roger

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    My 1959 Slough DS19 has that panel. It is quite flimsy and its bottom edge sits about an inch below the botom of the rear bumper. The car also has rubber mudflaps. I have no evidence that it is a South African model. It does have a German identification plate on the firewall.

Roger

Roger,
    I was referring to the mudflaps as shown in this pic. Are you saying your car has these as well as the extra paneling?

*Pic on loan from UFO's respray thread - hope you don't mind Craig.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 rear valence panel-d-rear-mudflaps.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger!

Roger
    Ah, that's interesting. Seems to confirm that it was a Slough factory fitting. It is made up of 5 pieces spot-welded together - a centre panel, two end pieces which appear to be pressed, and two strengthening flutes. Yes it is quite flimsy. I also have no evidence that my car is a South African model, it has a Slough chassis plate. Agree with the earlier comment that it appears to be an effort to reduce dust entry to the boot area.
    Thanks for the comments.
    roger

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    Ah, that's interesting. Seems to confirm that it was a Slough factory fitting. It is made up of 5 pieces spot-welded together - a centre panel, two end pieces which appear to be pressed, and two strengthening flutes. Yes it is quite flimsy. I also have no evidence that my car is a South African model, it has a Slough chassis plate. Agree with the earlier comment that it appears to be an effort to reduce dust entry to the boot area.
    Thanks for the comments.
    roger

It is a universal (un)truth that all odd items found on cars can be easily explained as being found only on the South African model. A very handy explanation!

Don't forget that Slough cars were also exported to South Africa. It does look like an addition for the dusty/muddy colonies.
    Last edited by David S; 19th December 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It is a universal (un)truth that all odd items found on cars can be easily explained as being found only on the South African model. A very handy explanation!
    That one's surely going to come back and bite you

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Roger,
    I was referring to the mudflaps as shown in this pic. Are you saying your car has these as well as the extra paneling?
    Chris,

What is mudflap in that pic and what is not?

Roger

Icon12

Chris,

What is mudflap in that pic and what is not?

Roger

In this pic you may be able to see more clearly? Either side of the boot box.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 rear valence panel-d_rear_mudflaps1.jpg   ID19 rear valence panel-ds_rear_mudflap.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Icon12

Found a better pic of Craig's car...

...and probably where I should have looked first - part #9 in the diagram

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 rear valence panel-ds_rear_mudflaps_2.jpg   ID19 rear valence panel-ds_mudflaps_parts_diagram.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post

Don't forget that Slough cars were also exported to South Africa. It does look like an addition for the dusty/muddy colonies.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    That one's surely going to come back and bite you

Cheers
    Chris
    Corne, paging Corne... please pick up the white courtesy phone....
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Default rust repair

Very nice job! To repair rusty part, do you just sand it down and weld sheet of metal? Or just remove the rust and fill it with epoxy and prime?

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

I have seen a few South African built ID's of the same year, and around the same year, none of them had that extra panel

I don't have a picture of the rearside of this ID, but this is actually a South African built ID. a 1958 model. No extra steel valence at all

Yes we had some super weird D assembly methods, like the fact that our DS's were built to slough specs but the seats were French specs

I have even seen an ID built for government officials (not South African built) it's got the glass section between front and rear passangers, it also did not have this valence, maby it was a special request or only put on a small amount of export cars of a certain year for certain dusty countries? Definitely the first car I see with that valence

Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Thread Information