The dilemma -CX/C5 and the Mx5
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default The dilemma -CX/C5 and the Mx5

Hey froggy folk,

In a bit of dilemma at the moment and not really sure which way I want to jump!

I currently have an 1981 CX and 2006 C5 both manual (C5 with leather/sunroof).

The C5 is about to hit 87k, not a thing wrong with it other than a few battle scars from Sydney car parks. Tyre pressures sensors error about 5kms into every trip, but everything else works. She has been a reliable car that has never let me down in the 5 years of ownership.

The CX is running well, worth next to nothing to sell. Recent service tidied up a few things that had been annoying me (speedo now working). Drive it most weekends and rather fond of the old girl after 8 years of ownership. I have spent a bit of money over the years and have thoroughly enjoyed driving the car. Needs some body work, a tie rod and rubber boot replace for rego, but still a sweet drive, but not for everyday.

I want to move one of them on, but not sure which one. If it's the CX, I am keen to replace it with a Mazda Mx-5 or Toyota MR2 just to have something fun and sporty before I get too old to enjoy it!

Advertisement

The other thing that is contributing is financially, I am in a position to move the C5 on for an almost new C5.... My reservations about doing this is new C5's don't come with a manual gearbox and the lower specs models no longer have the hydractive suspension.....

To quote Queen, "I want it all"! Maybe time for a lottery ticket!

Any thoughts, ideas or comments welcome.

C
    Cheers

Andrew

Perhaps keep them both if they are both still making you happy?

Fellow Frogger

I would imagine you could probably order a manual C5 if you pushed the point, but most dealers will just tell you it's not available because they'd typically prefer to sell you a car they have available. Having said that, only a very small portion of the C5's target group would ever want a manual and it will sink like a stone as a used car. In your shoes, unless you are determined to change cars, I'd be inclined to save the cash, keep the current C5, put the CX on club plates so you can at least use it sometimes for very little money and then deal with the mid-life crisis car as therapy!
    Last edited by David S; 16th December 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'd keep them all ..... and get a CX GTi Turbo as the fun car ................ (imagine the difference of a porshe 911 versus 2cv .... That's what a CX turbo feels like compared to a CX C-matic)

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I'd keep them all ..... and get a CX GTi Turbo as the fun car ................ (imagine the difference of a porshe 911 versus 2cv .... That's what a CX turbo feels like compared to a CX C-matic)

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Cut out the middleman and get a 2CV. Tons more fun than any of the above mentioned cars. If you really like driving manuals, the 2CV needs constant gear changing, plus EVERYTHING about the car is manual. Built in the days when Citroen built interesting cars with minimal electronics. Now they build bland cars with dodgy electronics.

The only risk with a 2CV is your licence. I lose more points with a 2CV than the Xantia or BX before it, all due to speeding. You drive it flat out and you are too busy driving to look at the speedo.

Its a car you drive by the seat of your pants whilst being focussed on the behind of the young lady walking along the footpath. And they are much more likely to smile at you (or at least your car) than any of the above cars.

John

A difficult decision but I can help. If you want a Toyota MR2 my daughter is selling hers. 1994 SW20. I can vouch for the fun to drive aspect as I have driven it with gusto a few times. PM me for more details

If it were me I'd keep the CX. Reason is you could sell the C5 for more, and have something in the kitty to pamper the two interesting cars you will end up with.

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

You didn't mention what model year MR2? Anyway, both have huge fun potential. Look at www.spyderchat.com

Mandalay (from Melbourne) practically rebuilt a SW20. Into the Spyder you'd be able to slip a 2ZZ motor in with virtually no modifications needed. Ah, if you get a Spyder choose a manual instead of that silly paddle one.

"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    In your shoes, unless you are determined to change cars, I'd be inclined to save the cash, keep the current C5, put the CX on club plates so you can at least use it sometimes for very little money and then deal with the mid-life crisis car as therapy!
    My thoughts exactly.

My daughters MR2 is a 1992 model, second version of the MR2. Rides like a billy cart, noisy but fun.

Here is a shot of her washing it

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The dilemma -CX/C5 and the Mx5-p3201080.jpg  
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks to all for the responses.

To update - now have a 1998 MX-5 with less than 150k on the clock. Needs a few things, but in good shape, $6k and unmolested apart from the Pioneer stacker.

Updated the Aussiefrogs ad with photos and now on fleabay. Will see if there is any interest.

Toyed with parting with the C5, but decided it's time for the CX (although fully anticipate regretting that decision). I need a car to cart people in from time to time with the C5 a more palatable proposition for my siblings to travel in (currently numbering 11).

So wish I could accommodate 3 cars, but I am already imposing on a neighbour with the C5 (and now MX-5) sitting in her carport.

If no interest in the CX, then watch this space for the C5!

Cheers
    Andrew

Thread Information