HP pump O-ring seal sizes
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Default HP pump O-ring seal sizes

Hi everyone

I think the title is self explanatory, I am curious what is the correct seal size and measurements? for example the valcebody seals the inner will maby be 2mm x 16 mm diameter or whatever. it's probably been asked before but I am just curious.

I think that maby the pump uses odd seal sizes?

Just curious

Thanks
    Corne

Advertisement
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CorneSoutAfrica View Post
    Hi everyone

I think the title is self explanatory, I am curious what is the correct seal size and measurements? for example the valcebody seals the inner will maby be 2mm x 16 mm diameter or whatever. it's probably been asked before but I am just curious.

I think that maby the pump uses odd seal sizes?

Just curious

Thanks
    Corne
    Do you expect someone to do the searching for you? Let your fingers do the walking.
    roger

Sorry for asking Roger.

I assembled my own kit but I think that certain seals are odd sizes, making fitting a bit for difficult, so to be honest I did do quite a bit of research before posting, so I am sorry for asking, just to make 100% sure I have the correct seals.

Sorry for asking

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Somewhere I have a list of them, but I cannot think where. Just look up the sizes in the parts catalogue then find the closest sizes in either AS or metric from an o-ring catalogue. That's what I did.

Roger

Thanks Roger

To be honest I didn't even bother with the parts manual because I thought it would be a description like "get from spares department"

I will have a look!!

Thanks

Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    Do you expect someone to do the searching for you? Let your fingers do the walking.
    roger
    Ummmm, I thought the whole point of this board was "share the knowledge". If you don't have the answer Roger, that's OK. However, that's a rather snotty non-answer to someone who is looking for a bit of relatively obscure info.

Corne, if Roger Wilkinson's suggestion doesn't for some reason help, try a PM to Steve (Citroenfan).
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Bill

Thanks

I saw the measurements of the seals in the manual, I was pretty close in my estimates!! I just needed to change one of the cylinder seals, I am getting them tomorrow, then I can overhaul a few pumps in need of seal changes

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

To be honest I didn't even bother with the parts manual because I thought it would be a description like "get from spares department"
    Corne,

I think that's what the other Roger meant by "let your fingers do the walking".

Next time, look in the manuals first. The time to ask us is when there is no obvious match and you want to discuss whether to go larger or smaller, imperial or metric. When I was assembling a collection of seals for a DS hydraulic pump a few years ago I spoke to Buttercup Bob, who told me a couple of tricks about one of the seals. I will keep looking for my notes on that.

Roger

Roger, that brings me to another point,

I noticed that some pumps leak past the bearing, and I have seen that specific seal getting replaced but it still leak. does the spring and copper "bush" form a mechanical seal against the back of the bearing?

Also some seals I can get is slightly smaller than given in the manual. let's say the manual says the seal must be 3.7mm thick , now I can only get 3.5 mm seals. Will that much make a difference between sealing and leaking? the o-ring behind the main bearing is actually one of these cases, I will ask for imperial sizes and cross check, maby I can get the ".2mm" on the imperial size o-ring I need

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Fellow Frogger!

Roger, that brings me to another point,

I noticed that some pumps leak past the bearing, and I have seen that specific seal getting replaced but it still leak. does the spring and copper "bush" form a mechanical seal against the back of the bearing?

Also some seals I can get is slightly smaller than given in the manual. let's say the manual says the seal must be 3.7mm thick , now I can only get 3.5 mm seals. Will that much make a difference between sealing and leaking? the o-ring behind the main bearing is actually one of these cases, I will ask for imperial sizes and cross check, maby I can get the ".2mm" on the imperial size o-ring I need

Cheers
    Corne
    Corne,

That brass seal's lip and the back of the main bearing need to be a mirror finish for the shaft seal to not leak. Best bet is to use a really smooth, hard surface ( a 6.3mm thick sheet of glass works) and finish both metal surfaces with a succession of 300/400/600 grit carborundum papers.

Also make sure that you do not have excessive suction in the feed line from the main reservoir that can occur from a dirty filter element.

The critical seal(s) in the pump are the main face seals. They are suppose to be "crush" seals. IOW the pressure from the front plate 'crushes' the seals into position. They cannot be be reused. If you take a pump apart all need to be replaced.

If you have a leak from one of the front seals, the real problem may well be a cracked pump body. Examine the pump body very carefully, especially the area between the cylinder/piston bores for what can be almost microscopic fractures.

Steve

Steve

Thread Information