ID 19 not in demand?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default ID 19 not in demand?

A pretty good looking ID with a starting bid of 500 dollars never got one bid on EBay!

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hmm....

that's a hell of a nice looking car. If it's as tidy underneath as it is above it's worth "lots". Such rare cars tend to sell "off" ebay at the completion of the auction (given the fact you would be insane to buy a car such as this site unseen off ebay, you MUST check it over).

I imagine it's reserve is somewhere around $5000+

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Citroen-I...#ht_500wt_1056

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

That is one helluva nice car. You will sell it by advertising it on Aussie frogs, and whats more you will get what it is worth!
    Cheers Gerry

It has only a very light case of "angiogram speedo".

Roger

The hydraulics work but will need servicing from sitting around.
    This could mean so much in time, dollars and heartache... but at least it looks like it hasn't been converted to LHM so you save in not having to go back to original!

I like how the fact that the nasty 80s radio in the centre of the dash is overlooked in the photos!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post

Roger
    So, it hasn't flatlined then!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    This could mean so much in time, dollars and heartache... but at least it looks like it hasn't been converted to LHM so you save in not having to go back to original!

I like how the fact that the nasty 80s radio in the centre of the dash is overlooked in the photos!
    The only thing that really matters ...... Is it's hull isn't rusty!!

you guys realise it may just have a return leak .... or flat spheres or something... If you really lucky you'll find it's been converted to LHM.... Then there will be nothing to worry about hydraulic wise. Anyone interested needs to go look at the car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Blighmey

it looks as though it's had 5 bids in as many hours.

Looks nice,

Very nostalgic for me as it's the same colour scheme as my first ID - '82 to '89. And the pinky interior is lovely. The tyres alone are valuable - it's not been tampered with in that regard and the original mechanicals including hydraulic system are indeed intact - a really nice car. The fellow has described to me what I think is the power brake with pendant pedal which is a bonus also - makes it a more practical drive - months earlier and it may have been the master cylinder (still lovely of course, just not as good at stopping or avoiding underbonnet explosion).

It should get a good price now people have seen it as it's pretty unmolested overall.

Amazing to me how such cars come out of the wood work when you least expect it. If the likely buyer is on these pages, contact me if you need any missing bits. Looks like the dash sections around the instrument cluster are a bit cactus. The central console is a simple matter - the harder bit is the aluminium switchboard which looks good. I'm trying to work out if I know the car - does anyone have any clues? I'll contact the fellow again but don't want to hassle him until the deal is done.

And Donat - if you see this - do you want a white handbrake release bar? They break easily (the ends are often broken) and Harriet has a black one that should be white.

I'll be up in the New Year - possibly first term holidays - but not certain. Just had a new radiator core built for the 11BL. Have to mortgage the house again but effective cooling is handy. Also have complete set shockers coming from Holland. She's well on the way now!

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 13th December 2011 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    And Donat - if you see this - do you want a white handbrake release bar? They break easily (the ends are often broken) and Harriet has a black one that should be white.

I'll be up in the New Year - possibly first term holidays - but not certain.

Tim
    Yes please! I'm more than happy to keep moving forward with the replacing/restoring and that would be a nice touch.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Noted. PM me your address again and I'll send it up. (a whole mechanism). I'd been keeping it for Harriet.

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post

Roger
    You mean like this?
    Actually, this looks like a very clean early Heidleberg car. Has the "Oh, shit" brake system. Hope it goes to a good home.
    roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID 19 not in demand?-idspeedo_1.jpg  

DS

Has the "Oh, shit" brake system.
    Meaning it has power brakes (oh shit this old girl stops well) or master cylinder (oh shit this old girls hard to stop)?

I don't see a master cylinder reservoir so I'm assuming power brakes.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    You mean like this?
    No, I mean the horizontal lines below the numbers, between the gauges.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    it looks as though it's had 5 bids in as many hours.
    When I looked, it had ended without bids yesterday at about 5pm.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    You mean like this?
    Actually, this looks like a very clean early Heidleberg car. Has the "Oh, shit" brake system. Hope it goes to a good home.
    roger
    Isn't that the Picasso version with wilting numbers?
    Yours has flatlined in the lower section. Patient deceased.

I refer to the that style of numbers as "melting moments".
    For ages I thought that was how they were all meant ot be shaped, given that I hadn't seen an instrument with "straight numbers"
    Buying an instrument in KPH (from Europe), whilst not correct is easier to find with the numbers in their intended shape and somewhat more comforting at a glance when driving.

As an aside I've just rebuilt a complete a set of spheres for an Aussie ID 1961 with the early brake system. ( RogerB, you know the car)
    The owner had been using genuine LHS2 (yes, Castrol brand) and the interiors of the hemispheres were for the most part in quite good condition. He still had a couple of litres, no longer in the original drum, it had corroded through some years ago.
    Last edited by richo; 13th December 2011 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    Still listed Bertie, 9 bids and sitting on $2225.00 as at 12 noon 13th Dec. Four days to run

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    The car was listed twice, one of the listings was removed yesterday afternoon,
    Hugo
    :

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post

Ahhh!

The great hydralic fluid debate!

The history of vehicle hydralic systems and their various mongrel fluids are actually the dark side of the history of synthetic rubber.

Long long ago (1990s) in an industry not that far away, (the warbird movement) there happened a minor miracle in the form of the return to flying status of a CAC Wirraway. Now there are two aspects to this which apply to the red vs green debate and Citroen restoration...

First, the people who get enthusiastic about warbirds are just as passionate as those who get enthusiastic about funny French cars. Second, the hydralics in the Wirraway date from the same period as the original experiments at Citroen.

The hydralic seals that came out of the Wirraway looked like King Tuts' fingers. The mongrel fluid had'nt been available since the 1960s. The solution was to re-engineer the system around viton seals and modern mineral hydralic fluid. The aircraft since restored under this scheme have given far less trouble than the original system when operated with full military maintence.

I sayeth unto Donat, be of good cheer in the face of the green conversion, for the technical reasons behind the use of LHS and other hygroscopic / acidic / easily oxidised / self- varishing and self vanishing mongrel fluids is engineering desparation, simply because seals to work with mineral fluids were not available.

I have a Parisienne. I also have the entire hydralic system from a 1970 D Super which had gone too far to compost to preserve. I will combine the two, for I also have a hatred for the mongrel fluids needed for natural and early synthetic rubber seals.

The other two Ds I have both got up and gave no significant trouble after 8 and 10 years dormant (one had been without an engine for 8 years, so when I dropped another one in I was quite please to see it heave itself up like an old camel). Both are LHM cars. What trouble has ensured is the odd split boot from sitting too long on their bellies.

The hydralic bits I have for the Parisienne are solid lumps of rust, and of no use whatso ever.

I do understand the pain of changes such as these cause the purists, but then I have experience dealing with aeroplane enthusiasts who suddenly realise that their dream machine has a stack of Airworthiness directives which sayeth "change it or else" so while I acknowledge the pain, I have no sympathy.

Bruce.

Hey Bruce, that is an excellent comparison.
    Would you like the pope to issue an edict?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQWUE...eature=mh_lolz

/ducks

Daffy ducks and does the dance.

WooHooo
    WooHoooo
    WoooHooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by citds67 View Post
    The car was listed twice, one of the listings was removed yesterday afternoon,
    Hugo
    Oh, thats why!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post

I sayeth unto Donat, be of good cheer in the face of the green conversion, for the technical reasons behind the use of LHS and other hygroscopic / acidic / easily oxidised / self- varishing and self vanishing mongrel fluids is engineering desparation, simply because seals to work with mineral fluids were not available.
    Bruce, there's no doubt in my mind that LHM is more effective and easier to maintain than it's older sibling. But when it comes to early cars, I feel it's a duty of care to keep things the way they are which is as close to original as can be.

It's survived 50 years and goodness knows how many miles and while they're still making parts for the LHS system, I'll still be buying and using them.

Changing its hydraulic make-up is one thing that would more than likely up the reliability of an early ID. But of course that's just one element you could improve of thanks to innovation. You could also change the wheels to a 5 stud pattern to allow for a 15" wheel, swap the front guards over and have more effective and swivelling lights and so on.

My feeling is that if someone was to buy this car, it would be because it is what it is. It doesn't have power steering, it doesn't have a 7 piston pump, a synchro in 1st gear and there's no such thing as cheap tyres in which you can run the car on. If someone wanted those things (and LHM), then they'd be better off with something post '67.

If someone wants to chop 'n' change things to modernise their car, that's fine with me. I just wouldn't dream of doing it to my own. That might seem stupid to some and courageous to others, but c'est la vie.

It's the same with my 1015 - I probably have the only registered example (and the oldest GS) on the road in Australia and as much as I'd love to throw in a 1300 motor and 5 speed, it would take away everything about the car's character.

I say all this with only the best interests at heart.

PS: The car's passed the $4000 mark! I'm glad there's still a strong interest in the Parisienne.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

I like that car, alot, fortunately though I won't be bidding for it!

I do like it though.

Whoever picks it up will be a happy person.

Steven

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Meaning it has power brakes (oh shit this old girl stops well) or master cylinder (oh shit this old girls hard to stop)?

I don't see a master cylinder reservoir so I'm assuming power brakes.
    The latter. However on closer examination of the engine bay photo what I took to be the glass reservoir for the brake master cylinder could be a washer bottle. Also there doesnt seem to be a return line to the top of the hydraulic tank, so you could well be correct. Fabien Sabates dates the change of brake system for French IDs as September '61 so if this is a "61 Heidelberg car then it must be a very late one.
    roger

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information