"I said use Kitten, not spit and polish!"
  • Register
  • Help

Default "I said use Kitten, not spit and polish!"

Here you go folks, a few pics of June slightly de-frocked and showing her cellulite....

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "I said use Kitten, not spit and polish!"-ds-rear.jpg   "I said use Kitten, not spit and polish!"-ds-right-left.jpg   "I said use Kitten, not spit and polish!"-ds-left-right.jpg   "I said use Kitten, not spit and polish!"-ds-right-across-boot.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've seen a lot worse. What is the rear supsension mount area like ?? This is the most important part. Strange, given the rear end rust, I was expecting big holes for 'C'pillars. I guess you must have a non-leaky roof

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I've seen a lot worse. What is the rear supsension mount area like ?? This is the most important part. Strange, given the rear end rust, I was expecting big holes for 'C'pillars. I guess you must have a non-leaky roof

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Well a non-leaky roof would be a bonus Shane...right now though, she's a tad draughty!

Still, June is going to be driven to Cit-In if the Goddess of Green Fluid is smiling on me....

.....the panel shop wants her gone by the end of January.....

Fellow Frogger

If the worst of the rust is restricted to that rear upright panel across the back, then you will be very lucky. You will probably want to change both the bumper mounts as they are available as a repro part and the centre tube that holds the bumper rubber mounts rots out readily. A nice piece of water pipe does that job there beautifully if the mounting is OK, but just the tube is rotten.

When you assemble it again, leave the boot trim/lining off until you are sure it doesn't leak into the boot. Pallas boot trim will hold the water against the whel arches if it leaks. Also, be tempted to change the boot seal to a pinchweld type while you are there. The factory system is mad and leaked when the cars were quite new, so it's worth thinking about. Then you can delete the foam seal on the bootlid and maybe save it from rusting away as easily as it did with the original seal present.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhic View Post
    Here you go folks, a few pics of June slightly de-frocked and showing her cellulite....
    Perfect advert as to why not to glue the lining in the boot of a DS.
    Why would anyone actually WANT to put that lining in the boot?
    Just asking for rust....

Cant wait for Easter!
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    Just asking for rust....

Cant wait for Easter!

Thanks Mort, you make me feel so much better about my D.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    When you assemble it again, leave the boot trim/lining off until you are sure it doesn't leak into the boot. Pallas boot trim will hold the water against the wheel arches if it leaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    Just asking for rust....
    !
    Mort,
    I have seen plenty of cars that never had the boot lining in far worse condition than 'June', and plenty with the lining that have survived.

If you look at the pics of 'June' you will notice it is the left hand side that has rusted, indicates a leaking boot seal and a car that has been parked outside on the roadside in all weather. The left side sits in the gutter and water drains to that side.

Whether you have the boot lining or not, you need to ensure the boot 'seals' as David has pointed out, and of course avoid leaving the car out in bad weather. A regular rust proofing regime is paramount in the preservation of these old beasts - at a minimum three year intervals, there is plenty of good information on how to treat for rust prevention in the Tony Jackson files. This regime should be followed whether you have the boot lining or not.

As to the boot lining, it is remarkable how it insulates from exhaust sound, and the knocks from loose cargo in the boot, and looks better finished. If fitted correctly it sits above the bottom of the boot floor so doesn't come in contact with any water ingress

My

Edit: Added more info and picture.

As important as the boot seal is, it is also important that the boot frame is intact. Especially the top corners which after 30+ years may have rusted to a point that the gutter leaks, the gutter is a good 25mm deep and if intact should be adequate in keeping rain from entering the boot. A dab of mastic on the rear screen bolt holes is a good idea too

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

The man who's doing it is a professional panel beater and has done several D's now with several more in the wings waiting for work, but I'll make a point of mentioning these tips - when it's done, I want it to have worked and there's always information that a person, no matter what their experience, can learn from!

Icon12

The man who's doing it is a professional panel beater and has done several D's now with several more in the wings waiting for work, but I'll make a point of mentioning these tips - when it's done, I want it to have worked and there's always information that a person, no matter what their experience, can learn from!
    Sounds like 'June' is in good hands, you are very fortunate I don't know of anyone in Brisbane that is interested in fixing rust, but more-so know or understand the D. 'June' will reward you for your love and attention - a very worthwhile project

Love to see any progress pics, they can be very informative as to how professionals go about their trade.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Pictures would be good...but it will be weeks between my vistis as June is being looked after in Sydney and I'm in Canberra.

However, I'll see what I can sort

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Thanks Mort, you make me feel so much better about my D.
    Agrred - that hore-hair vinyl nonscense was also factory applied to the boot well in my Safari - and that was the only bit that was rusted through!

With a DSpecial you just need to use tougher luggage!
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Pictures would be good...but it will be weeks between my vistis as June is being looked after in Sydney and I'm in Canberra.

However, I'll see what I can sort
    Would be invaluable to me and I suspect many others if you can, ronhic. I had a "What on earth was I thinking/drinking/smoking" moment when I took on a DS23 EFI auto which is probably a bit worse than yours. It's sitting on blocks under a cover in a neighbour's drive just looking at me and daring me to take the panels off and see what I've really got. The professional panel beater won't be an option for me but I'd be interested to see the process he goes through and, more broadly, how you assess the point at which you throw up your hands and say no. maybe the point Shane raised about the rear suspension mounts being gone would be the deal breaker. Depends on your skill and patience levels, I suppose. Are there any better bare hulls around or do we all have to stick with the lacework ones we have and fill in the gaps with blood, toil, tears, sweat and metal?
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Would be invaluable to me and I suspect many others if you can, ronhic. I had a "What on earth was I thinking/drinking/smoking" moment when I took on a DS23 EFI auto which is probably a bit worse than yours. It's sitting on blocks under a cover in a neighbour's drive just looking at me and daring me to take the panels off and see what I've really got. The professional panel beater won't be an option for me but I'd be interested to see the process he goes through and, more broadly, how you assess the point at which you throw up your hands and say no. maybe the point Shane raised about the rear suspension mounts being gone would be the deal breaker. Depends on your skill and patience levels, I suppose. Are there any better bare hulls around or do we all have to stick with the lacework ones we have and fill in the gaps with blood, toil, tears, sweat and metal?
    John,
    There is plenty of information to be found on Aussiefrogs to inspire. Have a good read through the various restoration threads in the Restoration Forum

mberry - DS21 1968

ali_w - ali's 74DS

michaelr's - DS Pallas Restoration

GreenBlood's - D Special 'Rejuvination'

UFO's - D Special Respray and Retrim

SilverBullet's - DS23 Resoration

Most have links to further information with detailed pictorials, where to get parts etc.

Have a good look at michaelr's thread to see what is achievable especially the before and after shots, really inspiring as all the work was performed by Michael.

Maybe get some pics of your car up and start a thread of your own, you will get all the advice you need to make informed decisions as to the best way to tackle your project.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thanks, Chris.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Thread Information