New 2009 C5 Gearbox fault!
  • Register
  • Help

Default New 2009 C5 Gearbox fault!

Just a few weeks ago my 2009 C5 exclusive (2lt) gave a couple of "coughs" after moving off from a stop sign and then one almighty jolt with loss of power,proceeded with a warning on the dash of "gearbox faulty" The car appeared to go into limp mode (3rd gear and reverse only) Got the car home, powered off and went inside to call the dealer. On start up the car was back to being fine again...at the dealers it all seemed ok too with nothing on the fault log to show up the episode (typical!) Car was returned to me with the G/box software "upgraded" but during the last week the car has "coughed" many times and has kicked out the cruise control too on occasions....this would only recently work intermittently since the "coughing" episode,( which in my older petrol cars I would have put down to fuel issues). Today I had another episode of "gearbox faulty" and subsequent limp home mode.....all fixed again by switching the car off and leaving it for 20 mins or so....then at start up it was fine again!!!!

Advertisement

Has anyone else had this happen to their new C5??? (I'm assuming that it's an electrical glitch but by crikey it's bloody annoying when its so intermittent! and not fixed on the first occasion by the dealer!) Would very much appreciate any comments or advise! Cheers

UFO

Has the car had the brake loom replaced under a recall program? This sounds symptomatic of that issue.

The recall replaces the extension cable from the passenger footwell to the driver footwell that connects the brake pedal etc to the electrical circuit.

Please advise us of the outcome.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

The fuse/relay box in the engine bay is another that some people have reported with similar symptoms. Have a look around the forum for more info. The brake switch is a common culprit and cheaper to replace, so it's what you'd change first.

Brake loom was replaced under the recall to my knowledge,not under instruction though but because it failed! Whole swag of things didn't work as a result...park brake,airbags and cruise control if I remember correctly! (fixed very quickly though I might add!). Car back to dealer today so I should hopefully know the outcome tomorrow afternoon...would be interesting if it is something stupid like a fuse connection or brake switch! I'll keep you posted!

Default what gearbox?

what box is in the 09 2Lt exclusive?

The fault sounds identical to the AD4/AL-4 fault in the Renault and Pugs of around 2005 or so.

Simple fix, warranty replacement of 1 or 2 temp/pressure switches in
    the box.

If it isn't the same box, have it diagnosed by Citroen as it's not benificial to be guessing for solutions.
    In any case it should still have warranty cover, yes?
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

A local garage to me who i sell Renault spares to tells me that C5's have the Renault DPO Auto boxs not sure if this helps

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by renault*parts View Post
    A local garage to me who i sell Renault spares to tells me that C5's have the Renault DPO Auto boxs not sure if this helps
    DPO=AL4, but this car has the AM6, 6 speed auto, so it's a different kettle of fish. All 6 speed auto C6, C5, C4 and Picasso models use this gearbox.

Tadpole

Default Coughing

Had a 99 Xantia with 4speed auto which did the same essentially. Wouldn't cough but just banged down into limp mode at any speed intermittently (scary with a semi up the rear on freeway at 110kph). You could reset with a key flick off/on in motion and keep going. After a lot of mucking about, ended up that we think it was the solenoids. It was cheaper and easier to offload the car in the end which I did.
    So of course I then did the logical thing and bought another Xantia; same colour but V6 with the pressure type of box.
    Now if I could only fix the suspension regulator intermittent problem..........

David

You hit the nail on the head!!! My car has issues with both!!! Faulty brake light switch AND fusebox issue...both will be replaced under warranty but it has taken the dealer a week to diagnose since it was so intermittent...Looks like it will be sorted for friday and I will have my babe back for Christmas! Thanks David S

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Has the car had the brake loom replaced under a recall program? This sounds symptomatic of that issue.

The recall replaces the extension cable from the passenger footwell to the driver footwell that connects the brake pedal etc to the electrical circuit.

Please advise us of the outcome.
    Glad to see that some are finally heading toward the cause of those Cit C5 problems. These are common enough, and well proven to be easily fixed, unless you like the coffee at your favorite dealership. For those in need I'll offer a clue, think voltage, forget the damn ECU and other stuff, and you'll eventually get there.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The fuse/relay box in the engine bay is another that some people have reported with similar symptoms. Have a look around the forum for more info. The brake switch is a common culprit and cheaper to replace, so it's what you'd change first.
    This would be warranty work?
    The fuse-box issue was the cause of the same symptoms for me.
    It took the dealer (hint: now closed) a few attempts to diagnose it, despite my pointing out several forum posts from here and overseas on the subject.
    I got a new battery in the process too.

Thread Information