Xantia rfv engine overhauling
  • Register
  • Help
    atr
    Tadpole

Default Xantia rfv engine overhauling

I have a RFV engine- 2lit. 16 valve petrol engine, identical to the one installed in my vehicle. I want to overhaul this engine and than to instal it in my vehicle. I could use all the help and info that you people, can provide. I have overhauled engines before, so I'm not completely ignorant about it but no doubt I can use your experience and tips. does anyone have the manual of that engine or can tell me if and where I can find it?
    Thanx.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

There is a Haynes manual for the Xantia, but the Peter Russek manuals are probably more descriptive, although harder to read, when it comes to mechanical work. These are listed on eBay and that's probably the best way for you to get it. The factory manual will be hard to find unless you can borrow it from a workshop or track it down as a used book somewhere. There is also what is termed a "Mechanic's Handbook" produced by Citroen that was printed annually and was packed full of information on the models of that year. Look in the sticky thread on manuals at the top of the forum and there may be more info on that. Whether the documents are still to be found is hard to say. Another option is to go to the Citroen Service website and get the factory info there. Parts info access is free, but you have to subscribe (all dealers do) for more info like the manuals. Whether they've got all the older Xantia paper workshop manuals online I'm not sure, but the wiring diagrams for Xantia, XM and earlier models didn't make it online as far as I know.

The main question I'd have here is why get a used motor that needs an overhaul as your starting point? If it's not done a huge mileage, you'll probably find you can just change some seals, especially the rear main seal, and assemble/fit it. I'm fairly sure that for your engine, certainly later engines, there are a number of grades of bearing shells to select depending on the tunnel and crank grading. So don't assume you can just buy a set of bearings and drop them in. If you find the ones in your donor engine are worn, then you either need to select them with care and per the factory chart or look for another engine that doesn't need any of this work. If this is the Pug engine you mentioned, then carefully check the block and head castings to see if it will actually bolt up to your car and isn't a different casting or has some unmachined sections because the Pug didn't need some bracket or other etc. etc.. It happens.

atr
    Tadpole

Thanx for the detailed answer, David. first, it not the Pug engine, I've purchased a whole car, a 2000 Xantia. the reason that I want to rebuild it is that I want it to be in mint condition before I install it. I dont want to do a partial job. as far as I know the Haynes doesnt include the RFV engine, that why I have to look elsewhere. I'll make use of your guidelines.

Thread Information