CX GTI Hydrolic pump
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default CX GTI Hydrolic pump

hi
    I was wondering if theres a easy way of removing the back cover on that hydrolic pump.I opened one last nite and what a mision theres basicaly no place to grip it or for a tool to press aggainst. I have stripped a few ds pumps and have the tools to make the job easy, but not for these pumps, so wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to do it. I can remove the shaft no problem but to get that back cover of and the pulley not that easy.Pease help

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by HarmSouthAfrica View Post
    hi
    I was wondering if theres a easy way of removing the back cover on that hydrolic pump.I opened one last nite and what a mision theres basicaly no place to grip it or for a tool to press aggainst. I have stripped a few ds pumps and have the tools to make the job easy, but not for these pumps, so wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to do it. I can remove the shaft no problem but to get that back cover of and the pulley not that easy.Pease help
    Not to be unkind, but what you wrote does not make any sense. Just as with a D pump the CX 5 piston pump has an integrated wobble plate and drive shaft - they are one piece. The only way you can remove the shaft is to pressed it out of the main housing. In the process the cover will be pressed off with it.

Steve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You have the later 5cylinder pump there right ?? It has no pulley nut, is smaller physically?

This one here :

I didn't think this type was able to be dissassembled like the earlier CX / DS 7cylinder pumps Certainly I'd never be brave enough to say it's not possible, if Steve knows about them

They have capacity than the DS pumps, and seem very reliable. If he's having issues I'd suggest replacement with another pump that is known to be good. I'm going to fit one to the ID19 if it'll physically bolt up

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Shane,

Have fixed a couple of them for CX owners here in SoCal. About the only thing that happens to them is leakage via the shaft. There is only one 0-ring on the inside. The units have more pumping volume than the 7-piston pumps and use a steel pump housing. The pump body is attached to the face piece by 4 allen bolts that you remove from the pump body after the reservoir is off.

Fitting one to an early D may prove to be a bit of pain as the mounting flange is much difference in thickness than the D series pumps.

To be blunt - they are a PITA to work on. The factory never designed them to be repaired.

Steve

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

I wonder what difference they would make to a DS? Faster suspension lifting? How easily would they fit to the last DS's built?

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Hi Shane,

Have fixed a couple of them for CX owners here in SoCal. About the only thing that happens to them is leakage via the shaft. There is only one 0-ring on the inside. Steve

Steve, I have a 5-cylinder pump mysteriously leaking and about to be replaced. Are you saying that replacement of that o-ring will give the unit further life? And is it worth the effort involved?
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post

Steve, I have a 5-cylinder pump mysteriously leaking and about to be replaced. Are you saying that replacement of that o-ring will give the unit further life? And is it worth the effort involved?
    Typically the fluid leaks out from around the rear of the pulley - it is seeping by the metal to metal seal at the rear of the main bearing, through the bearing, and then out the front.

Typically it is not the 0-ring that is at fault. Inside the shaft seal is of the same design as that of the 7 piston pumps. They fail at the brass stationary seal/main bearing housing interface, just as the older pumps will fail at that same place. Fail maybe too strong a word - leaking would be better .

Repairing requires thoroughly polishing the rear of the main bearing and the face of the brass seal to a mirror like finish. Is it worth the effort? Really depends on what the replacement costs are. If you can source a decent used pump, then my answer would be no. The real problem is just getting a 5 piston unit apart with out damaging the pulley. It is time consuming.

Steve

Thread Information