C5 HDi engine cover rubber mounts
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 HDi engine cover rubber mounts

On top of the diesel motor is a big plastic cover. This is secured to the motor with rubber mounts.
    These mounts have a habit of all breaking off even between services.
    Is there a better fix for this? I even don't mind using non- Citroen equipment to get a reliable fix.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by RossandJanice View Post
    On top of the diesel motor is a big plastic cover. This is secured to the motor with rubber mounts.
    These mounts have a habit of all breaking off even between services.
    Is there a better fix for this? I even don't mind using non- Citroen equipment to get a reliable fix.
    I have had this happen to. New mounts can be purchased. I have had success with gluing mine. I used Loctite 406 and it lasts well. Just make sure that the surfaces are clean of all oil.

Cheers
    Michael

Fellow Frogger

Simplest to just buy some new parts. They are available inexpensively via eBay. I've bought some via eBay from NeatCarParts in the UK with no drama other than taking a month to get here. The alternative would be to use some larger rubber 'cotton reel' mounts, but I think it's more hassle than it's worth. It's quieter with the cover on and bolting it down rigidly will only cause vibration.

If the engine is loudly vibrating at idle, then check that the alternator pulley is not jammed. Early cars to late 2001 usually have a solid alternator pulley and a three-piece crank pulley (aka "double pulley"), but later cars changed to a 2 piece crank pulley and a one way ckutch in the alternator pulley. The two systems shouldn't be mixed. If the later type alternator pulley jams or the later type cran pulley has been used instead of the 'double pulley', you will get very bad vibrations at idle.

Tadpole

The solution to the rubber mounts breaking is to reduce vibration as follows:

(Prior to fitting) over each NEW rubber post push a length of 10mm ID plastic tube, cut to length of rubber post. Fit post and then add a length of 12mm ID ( I think ) rubber brake hose. The plastic tube must not cover the hexag. base to allow for fitting post prior to adding the brake hose outer sleeve - which should be pushed down over the bolt base to rest on engine brackets. Outer sleeve must thus be cut slightly longer than plastic so that each tube matches fitted height of post rubber.

Fit cover and use soft neoprene washers to provide a firm fit for plastic clips when in place, and to stop them vibrating loose (and disappearing!).

This fix has lasted over 6 years and dramatically quietens engine cover noise and vibration.

Good luck.

Default re rubber mounts

After I broke these myself and then a succession of mechanics as well and replacing them with with new ones each time that cost a ridiculous amount and are of an absolute rubbish design
    I used a Mercedes 560 sec air filter to rocker cover isolators they are a rubber mount with thread on either end in fact the thread is identical to the Citroen thread so they screw straight into the existing Citroen holes
    I then used large plate washers and some nice dome nuts from the local bolt shop still going strong after 2 year's and I am currently doing a timing belts and pulleys and so forth looks as good as the day I fitted them total cost 30 dollars

Tadpole

Default Thanks

Thanks for the various replies!

Thread Information