Anyone have or driven the new C4 yet?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Anyone have or driven the new C4 yet?

All the reviews seem positive but it looks dull compared in pictures and in the flesh compared to the old one, but apparently it's much better to drive. Anyone bought or driven one yet? Thoughts, opinons?

Advertisement

Rave reviews coming out of the UK......

I saw one in my local carpark in red! It just doesn't look weird enough Interior looks ultra plush though.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Did they remember to put suspension under the current model ?? I'm sure they welded the axles straight to the body on the last. It rides just like a GS ........................................... that's rolling along on it's bumpstops The best thing about modern Citroens is they make my tired stinky old CX fill bloody brilliant to drive (you just get used to it as "normal" if you drive only them).

Let me guess, it's a bouncy, crashy poogoe underneath rather than a proper Citroen ?

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Only 3 posts and.....

1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Surprised it took that long.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

They use them for target pratice in Iran then returned to the dealer for repairs who can't fix them.

Andrew Frankel, in Sep issue of venerable English mag Motor Sport,
    writes about the new DS4....
    "The DS4 is based on the C4 hatchback which claims to be a new car
    but is in fact a reconfigured old C4 and depressingly mediocre as a result.
    ... the DS4 offers nothing to the enthusiastic driver beyond basic competence.
    It's not actively unpleasant like the C4, but anyone hoping for the fizz, precision,
    and elan of the DS3 in a more practical shell will be seriously disappointed."

Fellow Frogger!

Apparently the DS4 rear windows are non openers

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    Apparently the DS4 rear windows are non openers
    I believe that's correct - the theory being that the DS4 is the C4 coupe replacement (hence the coupe-like appearance), but with the added "practicality" of rear doors.

Quote Originally Posted by lozenge View Post
    Andrew Frankel, in Sep issue of venerable English mag Motor Sport,
    writes about the new DS4....
    "The DS4 is based on the C4 hatchback which claims to be a new car but is in fact a reconfigured old C4 and depressingly mediocre as a result. ...the DS4 offers nothing to the enthusiastic driver beyond basic competence. It's not actively unpleasant like the C4, but anyone hoping for the fizz, precision,
    and elan of the DS3 in a more practical shell will be seriously disappointed."
    That sounds a rather harsh review.... The team on Fifth Gear were more positive in their appraisal...

2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Dammery View Post
    Only 3 posts and.....

Only Monday and this has to be the post of the week.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I have driven it twice, once with my good wife. We have an idea to replace something (negotiations under way on what that will be) early 2013.

It rides better than the old one, mind you that would not be difficult.

The interior is quite nice, Maria thinks it is a bit overdone.

Has more room in the back than the old one and is just acceptable in that regard.

I took the eHDi unit both times. On the second run, it was quite hot and purposely took the machine where I would get some traffic. I also new some rough roads were down there. The start stop works very well, trouble is when the engine stops so does the aircon. We were left sitting a few times thinking 'it would be nice to have a bit of AC right now - the engine restarted itself a few moments later but why don't they fit an electrically driven AC pump like the Toyota Hybrids, then there would be no excuse not to use it. As it stands I'd say it will get limited use in hot weather.

It is most probably the best under $30k car that can do under 5l/100km on the combined cycle. My daughter just bought a Golf Blue Motion, the C4 did not get a look in as there were no manuals available and she would have nothing to do with an automatic gearbox of whatever flavour. She drives manuals.

We drove away in our Xantia. Therein lies the rub. If we traded the Xantia we know we would drive out in a car that is inferior in so many ways. The Xantia is just as quiet, roomier, less fussy dash and the ride.....

If the C4 had proper suspension, the cheque would be banked already and the new C4 would be in the drive. The fact that it doesn't means we can look elsewhere. Currently waiting to see what price the electric cars that will make it to the market in 2012 will be. A Nissan Leaf probably would not ride any worse than a C4 but would offer many many advantages in quiet, smooth transport as well as being very cheap to run. It is getting rave reviews in markets it is released in. Where is Citroen in this new market - a rebadged Mitsubishi MIEV. Citroen used to be a leader, I believe this will be a huge market in the very near future

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Having driven the car from Paris to Kosovo and back again earlier in the year with the 6 speed HDI.

Without the paragraphs of waffle about its handling, features, performance, etc I conclude that it's money down the drain as you can buy a Hyundai i30 for a lot less and have the same basic attributes all-round.... and European designing to boot!

Most of all, it's damn boring to look at and nothing special to drive. The only thing to remind you of being in Citroen are the disgusting new design chevrons scattered in various places around the car.

Maybe I'm in too deep with the old bangers....

1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Having driven the car from Paris to Kosovo and back again earlier in the year with the 6 speed HDI.

Without the paragraphs of waffle about its handling, features, performance, etc I conclude that it's money down the drain as you can buy a Hyundai i30 for a lot less and have the same basic attributes all-round.... and European designing to boot!

Most of all, it's damn boring to look at and nothing special to drive. The only thing to remind you of being in Citroen are the disgusting new design chevrons scattered in various places around the car.

Maybe I'm in too deep with the old bangers....

Um, isn't the C4 EGS 1.6 still ike $30,000++ ..... not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

You can get the eHDi with EGS on the mid range model for under $30k. That's a bargain I think
    Last edited by Greg C; 6th December 2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

As mentioned in an earlier post by danielsydney, it seems the new C4 has been well received by owners in the UK.

Those members on C4Owners.org who have purchased a new C4 seem to generally agree that whilst the new hatch is more "conservative" in external appearance compared to its outgoing sibling, it is a much better car overall. Ride quality has been improved and cabin appointments and all round build quality is more akin to what you would expect from a VAG model.
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Rear seat room is tight I have read...

Thread Information