Nulon G70 in North America
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Nulon G70 in North America

Well, not really. Having been given the 'rave' review by Richo some time ago about the stuff, I decided to take the plunge - at least monetarily, and ordered some tubes. Getting said product to the US was not cheap. Now for the initial results.

My recently acquired ID21 break came with an installed 23 engine, screwed up carb, and a somewhat noisy and fairly hard shifting tranny. Given its price, however, I was not complaining. The transmission did not really respond to the normal treatment of Redline's synthetic oil or a 1:1 mix of Lucas HD oil conditioner/90wt tranny oil . In all honesty the Lucas/tranny oil mix was slightly better.

Advertisement

The Nulon arrived and I put in a tube about one week ago into the Lucas/tranny oil mix. Have to say that this stuff really does seem to work. Shift ease is far better with no change in synchro performance. Noise - while not eliminated, it is easily 1/2 of what it was previously. The big difference I have noticed is in the 35 to 50 mph range in either 3rd and esp. 4th gear. And the results seem to be improving slightly with more miles being driven.

So there seem to be some snakes out there who's oil does work.............

Steve

JBN

I had Redline in a 2CV gearbox. It was good, but expensive. I replaced it with normal GL4 80 grade gearbox oil plus Nulon G70. It is at least as good, if not better, but most importantly it is GL4 compliant and good for brass synchros. The Redline is actually GL5 compliant and there is a question mark about how it treats brass synchros.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I had Redline in a 2CV gearbox. It was good, but expensive. I replaced it with normal GL4 80 grade gearbox oil plus Nulon G70. It is at least as good, if not better, but most importantly it is GL4 compliant and good for brass synchros. The Redline is actually GL5 compliant and there is a question mark about how it treats brass synchros.

John
    Hi John,

There are a couple of versions of the Redline's 75-90 gear oil. 75-90 NS is a GL-5 oil. The MT 90 (75-90 wt) is GL-4. The problem with the GL-5 oils has to do with being too slippery - not corrosion problems, at least from what I have been able to find out. GL-5 oils still need to pass the brass strip corrosion standard of the GL-4 oils.

Steve

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Hi John,

There are a couple of versions of the Redline's 75-90 gear oil. 75-90 NS is a GL-5 oil. The MT 90 (75-90 wt) is GL-4. The problem with the GL-5 oils has to do with being too slippery - not corrosion problems, at least from what I have been able to find out. GL-5 oils still need to pass the brass strip corrosion standard of the GL-4 oils.

Steve
    I stand corrected. I was using MT 90, but somewhere I got confused.

The Nulon GL-4 oil and Nulon G70 manual gearbox additive is a cheaper alternative and I now use that on both 2CVs. I use the G60 automative additive in the Xantia's ZF automatic gearbox and change the oil as often as I change the engine oil (10,000kms).

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I stand corrected. I was using MT 90, but somewhere I got confused.

The Nulon GL-4 oil and Nulon G70 manual gearbox additive is a cheaper alternative and I now use that on both 2CVs. I use the G60 automative additive in the Xantia's ZF automatic gearbox and change the oil as often as I change the engine oil (10,000kms).

John

It is not hard to get confused - do it on a regular basis.....Here in the States the Red Line runs about $12-13/qt. So its price, for me, compared to the Nulon G70 + dino oil was/is not much different. Not the point, at least for me. The combination produced better results than the other two options available. And if it promotes longer tranny life, which it seems to do, all the better .

Steve

Thread Information