Xantia panel illumination fuse
  • Register
  • Help
    atr
    Tadpole

Default Xantia panel illumination fuse

Hi
    In my 2001 xantia the illumination of the instrument panel went out. I guess it's a fuse blowen out. can you tell me which fuse that might be? if you know another possible reason, pls let me know. the instruments are functioning, only the light is out.
    Thanx.

Advertisement

Hi Atr,
    I do not know of a single fuse for the instrument panel. On my xantia there was a few globes that had blown, so I removed the instrument cluster and replaced the blown globes. While there it's a good idea to re-solder the speedo contacts, as they usually go "dry" and start giving you weird speed readouts.
    If all of your panel illumination is gone at once check the brightness control on the underside of the steering wheel binnacle. The small control wheel, you might have accidentally turned down the brightness to zero with your knee.
    Cheers....George 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Atr,
    I do not know of a single fuse for the instrument panel. On my xantia there was a few globes that had blown, so I removed the instrument cluster and replaced the blown globes. While there it's a good idea to re-solder the speedo contacts, as they usually go "dry" and start giving you weird speed readouts.
    If all of your panel illumination is gone at once check the brightness control on the underside of the steering wheel binnacle. The small control wheel, you might have accidentally turned down the brightness to zero with your knee.
    Cheers....George 1/8th
    Ah, erratic speedo. I'm starting to see that a bit. Car's only 16 years old so must be a warranty item I thought.

What exactly do you solder?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi John,
    there are 4 pins if I remember correctly, any one of which can become "dry". Have alook at the attached photo of the one on my car. I just had to re-solder it. If you look really closely at the bad joint you will see the concentric crack in the solder. This makes it basically unconnected. Just use a good grade of solder.

Cheers...George 1/8th
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xantia panel illumination fuse-dry-joint-2.jpg  

Hi John,
    there are 4 pins if I remember correctly, any one of which can become "dry". Have alook at the attached photo of the one on my car. I just had to re-solder it. If you look really closely at the bad joint you will see the concentric crack in the solder. This makes it basically unconnected. Just use a good grade of solder.

Cheers...George 1/8th
    Thanks George. I'm sure the circuit board will be obvious when I pull the thing apart sometime - I've never even looked at the instrument cluster!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi John,
    you have to be pretty motivated to pull it out. You can remove the instruments without removing the steering wheel, but it's easier if you do. The switch panel in front of the instrument panel has to lift out, it's screws behind the steering wheel binnacle.
    As an alternative, if you unscrew the column mounting bolts at the top the whole steering wheel can be dropped out of the way enough to remove the switch panel. Take a digital photo of what plug goes where so you can check on re-assembly.
    The IP has two screws across the bottom and one at the top. Once out you just tilt the top of the IP towards you and lift it out.

Then you have to carefully dismantle the IP unit , to get to the back of the speedo. I think I removed the speedo from the panel to do the job.

While you have it out it's a good opportunity to replace any blown panel lights. Go Xantia!
    Good luck
    cheers...George 1/8th

Hi John,
    you have to be pretty motivated to pull it out. You can remove the instruments without removing the steering wheel, but it's easier if you do. The switch panel in front of the instrument panel has to lift out, it's screws behind the steering wheel binnacle.
    As an alternative, if you unscrew the column mounting bolts at the top the whole steering wheel can be dropped out of the way enough to remove the switch panel. Take a digital photo of what plug goes where so you can check on re-assembly.
    The IP has two screws across the bottom and one at the top. Once out you just tilt the top of the IP towards you and lift it out.

Then you have to carefully dismantle the IP unit , to get to the back of the speedo. I think I removed the speedo from the panel to do the job.

While you have it out it's a good opportunity to replace any blown panel lights. Go Xantia!
    Good luck
    cheers...George 1/8th
    Thanks for that excellent description George. I'm not much motivated yet! At present the speedo flickers a bit maybe once a fortnight. It'll have to be very much worse before I'll tackle it!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Thanks for that excellent description George. I'm not much motivated yet! At present the speedo flickers a bit maybe once a fortnight. It'll have to be very much worse before I'll tackle it!!
    And if you drive at night, you don't even know it flickers because the instrument panel is unlit.

Perpetual procrastination leads to eventual neglect.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    And if you drive at night, you don't even know it flickers because the instrument panel is unlit.

Perpetual procrastination leads to eventual neglect.

John
    Happily mine IS lit or I agree there'd be no choice. Slightly hijacked thread here!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

atr
    Tadpole

Thank you all! the problem was just as George 1/8th described. simple as that!

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Thank you all! the problem was just as George 1/8th described. simple as that!
    George is a great man for Xantias. Please forgive me for hijacking your thread a bit!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hey ATR, that's great news. Xantias are good cars, there are just a few things to watch. The front suspension mounting units at the top of the struts, the ignition switches and the timing belts. Don't let any "mechanic" change the auto trans oil for Dextron 3.

cheers...George 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    George is a great man for Xantias. Please forgive me for hijacking your thread a bit!
    Hey John, no worries, it's a shared forum....and thanks for the positive feedback...I love my Xantia. I don't think I want to drive anything else...except a new C5 or C6. ( Well, you have to dream a bit)

Cheers....George.

Thread Information