Ouch!!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Ouch!!

Default Ouch!!

I have done many things to cars over the years, but this is a first. It happened while we were on the road - I dodn't hit anything, so best guess is a diff problem that twisted the casting.

Advertisement

I'm hoping it will buff out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ouch!!-copie-de-img_3962_800x594.jpg  

Bah.
    Just remove it, clean it, and suplerglue it back together.

/ducks

Daffy ducks

UFO

Ouch indeed. I've never seen a cracked TA gearbox before but have heard about them. Just get a chef to mix up a good thick roux and use it to glue the box back together - in fact it will probably be stronger than the original casing.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Yes, I have seen this many times. Usually it happens from driving with a gearbox that should have been overhauled long before the damage inside became critical.
    I would bet that the diff has been out of adjustment for a very long time, introducing point loading onto the pinion teeth as the pinion slogs back and forth under load changes. This also causes erosion of the case hardening in the root of the pinion teeth and a focus for the stresses that occur under point loading of the tooth. The inevitable outcome is that the tooth breaks and jams between the rest of the pinion and the crown wheel forcing the massive damage you have experienced.
    The out of adjustment of the crown and pinion meshing occurs for a number of reasons as lock washers on the pinion shaft erode against the splines that carry the fixed gears.
    The principle reason however is compression of the locking tab washer that secures the pinion shaft nut. It is little better than mild steel. The pinion shaft nut becomes loose and the shaft begins to work back and forward. When doing up a gearbox throw this locking washer in the garbage ( an appropriate place for it ) and use LOCTITE on the nut instead. If you do this and use NEW locking half rings in the groove behind the fixed gears this situation will never occur again!!!!!!!!
    Another less likely cause can be a tooth off the second gear pinion jamming in the works. Causes---- loose and worn bronze bushes in the second synchronised gear. Usually the broken tooth falls harmlessly to the bottom of the gear casing and all you hear is a clicking sound in second.
    Cheers Gerry
    Last edited by gerrypro; 3rd December 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Gerry - more or less what the Dr. said. He has seen this sort of thing before (if not quite so comprehensive) because people will do up a motor but not a gearbox.

There's a bourse on Sunday and the Dr hopes to pick up a box there. He will recondition the box and sort it (properly), but until them I am driving the renault. Pity, coz it's our annual drive in the countryside with the boys weekend on saturday. (pics from last year here)

Thread Information