C3 sunroof blind repair
  • Register
  • Help

Default C3 sunroof blind repair

Hi Folks

The wifes car has a problem with the pull across blind in the back, it is starting to come out of the clamp (I guess) I have had a look to see if there was a way too relaese the blind from the side rails but can't quite work it out, has anybody had similar problems & been able to repair?

Cheers
    Neal

Advertisement

What year model is your C3?

Default 2006 exclusive

Sorry should have anotated that, also it is classified as a panaramic roof.

Fellow Frogger!

The usual issue with these is that the plastic strip that the blind material is attached to begins to separate from the metal bar that it is clipped to.

On our example it appeared the plastic strip had deformed slightly from heat and would no longer clip on to the bar properly. Solution was to glue it at 3 points (centre & ends). Just a dot of araldite, so you can get it off again in the future if blind replacement was required.

I know that the sliders on the sides of the bar are available as spare parts.

Cheers
    spiz

Default More help

Thanks Spiz

Yes the problem is exactly as you have described but the access to the blind is the hard part & I would be berated for making a horrible mess with araldite, is there no way to remove the blind to repair more satisfactory?

Regards

Neal

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Leanmor View Post
    Thanks Spiz

Yes the problem is exactly as you have described but the access to the blind is the hard part & I would be berated for making a horrible mess with araldite, is there no way to remove the blind to repair more satisfactory?

Regards

Neal
    There is no other way except maybe removing the whole sunroof. The metal bar will separate from the plastic sliders, but only if the blind is unclipped first. (just slide it so it becomes diagonal relative to the car and the sliders will come out.)

How it could be done:
    - Mix up some araldite and have an ice cream stick ready to apply it
    - Apply a dab of araldite to the raised ridge on the bar in the spot(s) required. I did this by looking through the sunroof from the outside.
    -Use tape to hold the blind in place until the glue sets.
    -Make sure the blind is exactly centered on the bar or you will have issues!

It is not that hard to do, and with araldite you can reposition/clean it off & start again if required.
    Super glue would be a disaster. (& probably end up all over the seats etc.)

Cheers
    spiz

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    What year model is your C3?
    Doesn't matter. There was only one version of the C3 panoramique roof (with rear blind) in oz.
    spiz

Fellow Frogger

You definitely don't have to remove the whole sunroof frame/assembly, which is a major job. I forget exactly, but I think the blind housing clips onto the bottom of the sunroof frame. If you need to remove the mobile portion of the glass, which might give you partial access to the blind housing, you open the sunroof and it's held to the mobile carriage by some Torx screws. You may not need to remove the glass to get the blinds out, but I'd ask your dealer first as new blinds will set you back an eye-watering sum if you get it wrong. Certainly, you can glue the blind fabric back to the plastic holder, but if the plastic holder is badly distorted, then it's not going to turn out very well. It's a shame the blinds are such rubbish as the concept is quite good. Most dealers will have done the blind repair many times, so it may be a good one to simply farm out. Also look out for broken plastic on the mobile carriage and remove it if it's flapping about. The Panoramic roof can jam, so it's worth taking care of it and keeping the tracks clean unless you don't mind paying several thousand for a new assembly.

Hi Neal,

I realise you haven't been active here for a while but wonder if you had any luck with your blind repair ??

Our C3 has just had the same failure during the week. The heat of the 45 degree day here in Sydney last week was too much for both blinds and they've both come loose as you described above.

I've repaired the front blind using Sika 221 Adhesive - it's the glue they use to build buses so it's pretty strong, elastic and good in heat - but access to the front blind was easy.

With the rear blind I can't get access between the blind and the glass - I have small hands but I can't even get a finger tip in there to try and clip the blind back in place again.

Just wondering if you were able to remove the blind assembly as suggested by David S ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Thread Information