CX intermediate driveshaft bearing
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default CX intermediate driveshaft bearing

Hi Guys,

I've had a CX arrive here for a visit that was making a funny noise. I took it for a drive and it was pretty obvious right away there was a driveshaft problem. The intermediate bearing has broken up on the drivers side driveshaft. Has anyone had to buy one of these lately (are they available from the local bearing places ?).

Advertisement

Obviously the car is stuck here until this is fixed No doubt it would smash the side out of the sump if it was driven like this.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane,

I have a spreadsheet that shows the bearing as 30x55x13 6006. I would choose one that had two oil seals - i.e. the rubber seals rather than the steel shields. This is a standard bearing size.

I have replaced the bearing a couple of times and I just tap the bearing and retaining ring off in one operation (i.e. balance the shaft in the vice and tap the end with a block of wood to protect the splines). When re-fitting I use a long pipe and tap the bearing on followed by the ring. I haven't had any problems doing them this way. I have inspected the retainer ring and it doesn't show any sign of being heated in the factory. I will bet that they also just press them on.

These sort of press fits are common in industry. It is acceptable to press the small dimeters at room temperature. It is the big diameters that are the problem - the press fit force can easily get to hundreds of tonnes as the diameters go up. Support for the housing becomes the real problem here.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Brilliant!!! Thanks Rob,

I've replaced this bearing before a couple of time, however can't remember where or how I sourced the bearings. I'm also not smart enough to keep track of the size (I can't use the bearing on the car to match up a newie, as it'll be destroyed).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

To easy .... $16.00 from the local bearing supplier for an SKF italian made bearing. Perfect! Now to find time to pull the shaft out and get the car off the ramps, so the old ID19 can be returned to it's perch

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane, I'm sure you know that the bearing is retained by two L-shaped bolts with nuts on the ends and it's very important to check and recheck that they are in place correctly.

My CX diesel had a problem where the Triax housing smashed against the sump causing a large oil leak all because the last person to fit the bearing did not put these bolts in right and the bearing managed to work loose.

All things considered this is a fairly easy job to do, getting past the roll bar link is the trickiest thing.
    Andy

Thanks Guys,

yeah, it's alway fun to get the driveshaft past the rollbar droplink. The only way it works for me it popping the droplink balljont arm side (you don't need to competelly remove it, just break the joint ... gives you a few more millimeters clearance). With the front wheels dangling but the car on low (ie: no suspension pressure) the rollbar will point downwards, so you should be able to pull the shaft inner joint through. If someone knows of an easier way, they'll let us all know right

this one was the tightest hub nut I've come across in years.... I needed the 3/4" bar and another 1meter extension off it. I was impressed this is the only CX I've ever jacked up that show no wear in it's ball joints, or lower arm bushes (maybe 1/2mm in it's inner tierod balljoints). Little wonder it drives so nicely (other than the daravi is slightly off center ... the local alignment place couldn't fix that apparently ... I guess i better center it before it before it leaves).

Andy she's definitely not come loose. Bugger it, I found both other boots are split ... So it'll be stuck here longer while I source some boots.

Hows this for a nice view... proper cars everywhere This ones a CX2500 5spd familialle ....Possibly the best possible specification made in stationwagon form. Sadly it's not mine though Sadly 'cos it's one of the soundest CX's rustwise I've ever seen.

This is what the carrier bearing should be .... Gee's I'm glad Rob had it's dimensions... I'd have had to pull the driveshaft from another car otherwise (just to measure it's bearing ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX intermediate driveshaft bearing-p1060573.jpg   CX intermediate driveshaft bearing-p1060575.jpg   CX intermediate driveshaft bearing-p1060576.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information