New 6 speed automatic?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default New 6 speed automatic?

Hi i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the 6 speed automatic that the C4 uses now? Where is it from? Where is it developed and what other cars use the same transmission?

Is it CVT?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    Hi i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the 6 speed automatic that the C4 uses now? Where is it from? Where is it developed and what other cars use the same transmission?

Is it CVT?
    The c5 2010 has a 6 ppeed auto, and it is smooth as silk would say it is the best auto that i have driven, me thinks is an auto from japan ?

They are always good when they are new wait for 5-10 years
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post

Is it CVT?
    It's the EGS transmission that the previous C4 used to have. As for the conventional automatic option, the one available with the new C4 is the usual AL4 AFAIK.
    I am in Italy right now and I saw a few C4s on the road and even a DS4 the other day. I read some good reviews in the Italian motoring press on the new C4, particularly in terms of comfort levels and suspension suppleness. Quattroruote - possibly the most authoritative car magazine in Italy - even said that the C4 has little to envy to the C5's hydro suspensions! Shane will be pleased!!

Cheers,
    Paul

jmn

danielsydney:

Pretty sure that the non-turbo 1.6 used either a manual or an 6-speed EGS. The turbo 1.6 used to come with a 5-speed manual or the 6-speed Aisin torque converter auto. The auto version has the engine in a sllghtly detuned form.

The local Citroen site is useless now for obtaining any mechanical specs. Maybe buried in there somewhere but I can't be bothered looking for it.

It would be nice to think that the Japanese have maintained their reputation for sound and durable products where the auto is concerned.

Hope all the info hasn't confused you too much!

Mark.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

jmn

Damn! Accidently hit "submit".

Here's a link to the Aisin tranny:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

As you can see, it is extensively used in transverse engined cars.
    Previous:
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Default Aisin AM6

Yes, and you will find many posts in forums about the importance of keeping clean fluid in these. They are not "service free" as claimed because nothing is. You can only (simply) do a part change of about half of the 7 litres. Citroen wanted to charge $700. I had it done locally @ 5 yrs/62kms for $200. There was no problem before, but the changes are now noticably smoother.
    Mike

The current C4 range uses the 6 speed EGS. This has the dubious title of "6 speed sports automatic" in some cringeworthy marketing prose. For those not familiar, it's the PSA automated manual of recent years, ie. no clutch pedal but definitely not a traditional automatic.

As mentioned, the traditional 4 sp auto (an AL4 box) is also fitted to the 1.6l petrol (non-turbo).

Alas, neither have anything to do with AisinAW or the 2010 C5 6 speed auto.

It's worth noting that on the woeful CitroŽn Australia website there is a total absence of any technical or specification data on the new C4. Perhaps it's still being worked on...

This link - Redbook - seems to work for me. At least it contains easy to read info.

They don't appear to have released the 1.4 petrol that was provided to the NSW Club's meeting a few months ago.

It's a nice car - styling is a little too conservative for a CitroŽn - but it rides nicely and is pretty quiet.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Should be pretty durable in a C4 if it can deal with the much heavier and more powerful cars in that list!!!

I spent a lot of time with one in a Ford Fusion with Fords 3 litre Duratec V6. A pretty punchy unit.

I found the transmission pretty smooth and usually found the right gear. Was a bit sluggish to downshift and a bit dull feeling overall. But that may just be software set to American tastes. The French will no doubt give it annoying software and make it clunky!

No way - they're still using that bloody AL4....? Man, they must really hate their automatic loving customers...

jmn

The only way you'll get a proper 6-speed auto is with the 1.6 litre turbo. Have a look at the Peugeot site. They list that engine with the 6-speed auto only.

http://www.peugeot.com.au/model-engi.../5-door-hatch/

Only a trip to the showroom will tell but it's a good bet that the C4 will be the same. Personally, I prefer the Pug.

Mark.
    Previous:
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

AFAIK, "Sports Automatic Single Clutch" is reasonably specific - an automated manual box.

What Peugeot Australia are selling locally doesn't come into it.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

The previous model C4 with 2l HDi used the 6 speed Aisin Warner box. (He says bravely until someone proves him wrong)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

This review confirms the six speed "automatic" in the in the 2011 Citroen C4 is the EGS...
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/141493/citroen-c4-review/

Craig, you're right - the 2L HDi had the AM6 referenced earlier by MikeHolt.

In France they are marketing three styles of gearboxes
    Manuelle - manual which is the overwhelming majority of the market
    Robotisťe - a manual style box with clutch and electronic control variously known as BMP boÓte manuelle pilotťe, EGS electronic gear shift etc
    Automatique - electro-hydraulic based on epicyclics - a tiny market share and so innovation is slow and done by the box makers.

The initials are little guide to the sourcing of the boxes

Some imports from Japan use a CVT like my Honda

"Real drivers select their own gears" is the market thinking.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

jmn

Yup, and it's the same here Gerry.

I know for a fact that the 1.6 turbo petrol was initially offered with the AL4 and that this was later replaced with the Aisin auto. It may well be that that engine is now offered with EGS rather than the Aisin. Which is why a trip to the showroom may be required as the website is totally useless as far as really useful info is concerned.

CVT is being used in more Japanese cars it seems. Certainly the drive I had in the Nissan Maxima was revelatory and almost surreal with its "stepless" progress. I'd actually like to see that combo in the C5.
    Previous:
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Fellow Frogger!

Here's a quick breakdown of the transmission options for the new C4.

1.4 VTi 95
    5-speed manual*

1.6 VTi 120
    5-speed manual / 4-speed automatic

1.6 THP 155
    6-speed automated manual (EGS)

1.6 HDi 90
    5-speed manual*

1.6 HDi 110
    6-speed manual

1.6 e-HDi 110
    6-speed automated manual (EGS)

2.0 HDi 150
    6-speed manual*

*Configuration not available in Australia as far as I know.

It appears that some of drivetrain options for the new C4 are certainly different to that of the 308. For example, the 6-speed automatic manufactured by Aisin seems to be completely absent from the range, and I think the pairing of the 1.6 THP and the EGS is only available to Citroen (C4, C4 Picasso, etc.), but not Peugeot.

jmn

So it seems to be Diesel_vert.

Personally, I wouldn't touch an EGS fitted car with a forty-foot barge pole. If I was younger and looking for a car of that size I'd take a plain vanilla manual every time.
    Previous:
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

UFO

The EGS box is fine to drive. The Senslessdrive is a different bucket of worms.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

For those interested, a request for info on the CitroŽn website has led to a response:

In regards to your enquiry, I can advise that specifications and prices for the new Citroen C4 will be announced shortly we apologies for any inconvenience.

Unfortunately we do not have an exact date at the moment; when this will be updated on web site, we are hoping for early next week.
    I think it was written in haste, but I could be wrong.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Yes agree the Citroen australia website is a joke. Flash for one so no view on iOS or Android devices, no technical information at all (some people want to know how big the car they are looking at is exactly for starters).

Have a look at Citroen UK or some of the competitors for ideas. eg Volkswagen where you can see a view the car in any colour it comes in. You used to be able to do this when the C5 was first released.

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Citroen Australia acts like a company that has a death wish, One must wonder where they find their ignorant staff from. But then again they must be like this for a reason I just cant put my finger on it at the moment.
    EGS gearboxs are great invention, its the drivers who have problems with them by not understanding that planting the foot at every set of lights and round-about is not the correct way to drive a vehicle. This mentality was introduced by the Yanks who believe more power and noise somehow grants immunity from stupidity when it comes to relating to fellow road users.

niks, Agree with you on that point.....

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    For those interested, a request for info on the CitroŽn website has led to a response:

I think it was written in haste, but I could be wrong.
    Good grief! That is bad. Even if it were written in haste it's pretty incompetent language and grammar.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Default 6 spee'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Good grief! That is bad. Even if it were written in haste it's pretty incompetent language and grammar.

"With a thumbnail dipped in tar".

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information