BX has sprung a leak in the country!
  • Register
  • Help

Default BX has sprung a leak in the country!

My ever reliable BX (except the leaks), seems to have sprung a leak. The symptoms are, Well its using fluid is the first obvious one, but it seems to be taking an age to raise when it is cold and fully deflated. The other thing it is doing is the steering is really heavy for about the first five km's of driving. There seems to be fluid leaking from one of the large hoses the lead away from the reservoir. Is this a normal place for them to go? I have been driving past a camry for sale on my way to work........it is looking tempting!

Advertisement

UFO

Can you take a photo of the offending hose? Is the fluid dribbling out or pouring out?

Perhaps it is the pickup line from the LHM tank to the pump that is leaking and the pump is pulling in air causing slow rises and load up on steering as pressure depletes.

The flow divider valve will prioritise where pressure goes to. If pressure is low you lose steering first, suspension next then finally brakes.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi James, It's pretty normal for the LHM return lines on a car this age to start falling to bits. The pipe you're talking about is probably one of the return pipes of one of the Octopuses--yes there are two, one big one small. It could also be the supply line to the HP pump.

The symptoms are fairly typical of low LHM level. Put the car up on high, and if it makes it without beeping too much (indicating low LHM level) the LHM float (yellow) is suppose to be sitting in between the two red lines on the reservoir gauge. Though with those symptoms I'm sure it wont be.

You could try to patch the leak with a sleeve or another pipe, but it's likely it'll just break some where else.

Best to find a Citroen friendly mechanic near you who is happy to replace some return lines. Hopefully it's just a simple pipe and not a new octopus job!

If you put some photos up of the leak we may be able to better diagnose it.

For the moment I suggest you either carry a few litres of spare LHM around with you for find another car to drive.

Edit: Beaten by UFO!

JBN

Sounds like it is the big hose to the HP pump. Have a feel for its whole length for wet LHM. They tend to break close to the HP pump. I replaced that on one of my cars with a clear plastic tube from Bunnings.

If you do replace it, be sure to fill it with LHM to prime it and immediately connect it to the LHM reservoir (with the motor running). The good thing about the clear plastic is that you can see the LHM.

With BXs (Bloody Xasperating), if they have oil leaks, the first thing I do is to degrease the engine bay, paying particular attention to the flow divider, HP pump, steering rack and front struts. Start the car, put it on high position and let it idle for 15 minutes. That will dry the engine after hosing off the degreaser and perhaps show where the leak is. Then go for a drive and raise/lower the suspension a few times and check again.

In very difficult cases where I can't pinpoint the exact leak, I wrap cotton wool around suspect pipes/hoses, held in place with a few wraps of masking tape at various locations. It then becomes obvious where the leak is and isn't. Sometimes a pinprick hole in a pipe can be very difficult to locate in that it is high pressure LHM and squirts the fluid at some other part of the engine bay which then becomes very wet and leads you to look in the wrong places.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Sounds like it is the big hose to the HP pump. Have a feel for its whole length for wet LHM. They tend to break close to the HP pump. I replaced that on one of my cars with a clear plastic tube from Bunnings.

If you do replace it, be sure to fill it with LHM to prime it and immediately connect it to the LHM reservoir (with the motor running). The good thing about the clear plastic is that you can see the LHM.

With BXs (Bloody Xasperating), if they have oil leaks, the first thing I do is to degrease the engine bay, paying particular attention to the flow divider, HP pump, steering rack and front struts. Start the car, put it on high position and let it idle for 15 minutes. That will dry the engine after hosing off the degreaser and perhaps show where the leak is. Then go for a drive and raise/lower the suspension a few times and check again.

In very difficult cases where I can't pinpoint the exact leak, I wrap cotton wool around suspect pipes/hoses, held in place with a few wraps of masking tape at various locations. It then becomes obvious where the leak is and isn't. Sometimes a pinprick hole in a pipe can be very difficult to locate in that it is high pressure LHM and squirts the fluid at some other part of the engine bay which then becomes very wet and leads you to look in the wrong places.

John
    All good advice!

I once had a tiny leak in the main HP line from the pump and noticed it as vapour under the car in the sunshine when a tyre fitter moved the car back while I watched. I hadn't yet even noticed a leak - the LHM was completely atomised making a large area moist and no source that I could see. We repaired the pipe with metal-sheathed HP hose, silver soldered at the end of the sleeves and it has been fine for 7 years now.

If yours has its original octopuses....................... Time for new ones. And that job is indeed BX.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information