Xantia Series 2 bonnet
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia Series 2 bonnet

I am looking for a good bonnet for a Series 2 Xantia. No, not a failed strut mount as it's a Series 2 and mine are in good condition - it's just bent and not repairable.

Any leads much appreciated.

Chris

Advertisement

Hi Chris,
    the local wreckers in Melbourne have several series 2 cars, all with bonnets last time I checked. They might freight /courier to Adelaide. The company is called Imlachs, their website is www.imlachs.com.au. They are also know as "Centre rd Wreckers" (03) 9547 7377...open 7 days.

Cheers...George 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by Citquery View Post
    I am looking for a good bonnet for a Series 2 Xantia. No, not a failed strut mount as it's a Series 2 and mine are in good condition - it's just bent and not repairable.

Chris
    Makes a nice change for a bonnet not to be damaged by a strut! Series 2 car, as you said.

Have you checked Martin Bray at Clarendon?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you George and John.

I like to get at least two prices on these sorts of things. I have Martin's as a (highish) benchmark, but on phoning Imlachs, I got the response "a Cit-what? - we don't handle much French stuff". I told the guy I had been advised they had a Xantia (or two) and suggested he ask someone else. Bottom line: no joy.

I also spotted David Cavanagh's wagon. He is quite transparent about the servicability of certain parts (including the Series 2 bonnet). On close inspection of the first photo you'll see a slight bow around the bonnet prop area. Mine's got that - only worse - plus a couple of decent dings in the bonnet surface itself. My panel beater reckons he can straighten the bow and dents, but because of the construction of the bonnet, with use and flexing, he thinks the bow will return. We discussed welding in a gusset, but that all starts to get fairly fiddly - and still no guarantee it'll work.

Apparently a new bonnet is available at about $1200 + GST. Not viable on current values.

The car's quite driveable as it is, so I'll probably just keep looking.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Chris

I like to get at least two prices on these sorts of things. I have Martin's as a (highish) benchmark, but on phoning Imlachs, I got the response "a Cit-what? - we don't handle much French stuff". I told the guy I had been advised they had a Xantia (or two) and suggested he ask someone else. Bottom line: no joy.

I also spotted David Cavanagh's wagon. He is quite transparent about the servicability of certain parts (including the Series 2 bonnet). On close inspection of the first photo you'll see a slight bow around the bonnet prop area. Mine's got that - only worse - plus a couple of decent dings in the bonnet surface itself. My panel beater reckons he can straighten the bow and dents, but because of the construction of the bonnet, with use and flexing, he thinks the bow will return. We discussed welding in a gusset, but that all starts to get fairly fiddly - and still no guarantee it'll work.

Apparently a new bonnet is available at about $1200 + GST. Not viable on current values.

The car's quite driveable as it is, so I'll probably just keep looking.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

I've been watching this thread and when I saw our wagon was a series 2 I was ready to jump on line and tell you but on close inspection I don't think its good enough so I didn't mention it. Yes its bowed as well as hail damage.

We will probably keep it in stock, it might sell to someone just trying to keep an old car going but not good enough for a good car.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I like to get at least two prices on these sorts of things. I have Martin's as a (highish) benchmark,

Chris
    (highish) That'd be undrstatement of the year...I was after a bonnet a few years ago and he wanted $1100....but after my dud wishbone ($250 and it lasted a month before chewing out the front bush) and total refusal of any refund or even discount on another (it was my fault didnt even want to talk about it) I'll never deal with him again....ended up getting 2 brand new aftermarket wishbones from the UK for less than his one including UK post, .......and he wanted $10 extra to photocopy 1 page out of haynes on how to fit.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks, David. I appreciated the frank description of the wagon.

Stuart, I recall your wishbone experience from a while ago.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia Series 2 bonnet - still wanted

Further to my intial posting late in November 2011, I'm still looking for a good second-hand Series 2 Xantia bonnet.

Martin Bray's has suffered similar damage to mine and has been repaired as mine will be if I can't find a decent straight bonnet.

So this posting is essentially to check whether anyone is aware of such a bonnet, before I take the repair path.

Chris
    Last edited by Citquery; 12th January 2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling error

A Google search for "Citroen Xantia wrecking" shows that Picknpayless in Melbourne have a series 2 in dark blue, with photos. I have no more knowledge than this.
    I'm keeping the one I have as the family still runs two Xantias.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia S2 bonnet

Bruce,

Thanks for your reply. I found the one you referred to (via Google) and phoned them this morning, but the only Citroen they currently have is a Berlingo.

As the guy said, once they load information onto their website, it remains accessible via Google, even though the stock may have been sold - which seems to be the case here.

Pity, because the bonnet looked quite straight from the images - although it would need closer scrutiny.

Thanks again.

Chris

Thread Information