C5 Series 1 2.0L petrol fault codes
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 Series 1 2.0L petrol fault codes

(Preface: Amelie is going in for a service sometime before Xmas. So there will be a proper mechanic with proper diagnostic equipment paying attention to it soon. I'd just like be forewarned and to forewarn.)
    I just purchased a Garmin 2460 LT GPS and added Garmin's ecoroute HD. In short, the ecoroute HD can read fault codes and show other data from the OBDC-II port, ostensibly for economic driving. And unlike some cars where the port will be in the way of the pedals, the C5 has a neat space and pocket in its glove box. (I can write more about the ecoroute HD later.)

I've had a "Anti-Pollution Fault" for some weeks. Normally a single tank of 98RON does the trick, but not this time. The GPS displayed fault code "P0410 Secondary Air Injection System", as explained in this post.
    The other fault codes are P0606 Control Module Processor and occasionally P0271 Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit High.

Advertisement

There's also a "Braking Fault" that appears after I reach about 60km/h, but this doesn't seem to have a code of its own. I was a bit puzzled, until I looked at the ecoroute HD's virtual gauges. Strangely, the speed reading from the OBDC is about 20% slow: 110km/h shows as 92km/h and 80 is 65.
    So this seems to indicate that the speed sensor is faulty. And it doesn't appear at startup because there has to be speed difference between x and y (where x is the speed sensor and y is some completely different type of speed sensor).

So it looks like I need a new air pump, new ECU firmware (or hardware!), injector cleaner (or new injector) and a new speed sensor.

So... how's that logic?

Fellow Frogger

Air pump: Possibly. I think there may have been a kit to modify the intake at one stage, but they do fail and unfortunately cost a bomb new.
    ECU software: Get an update if available, but it's probably already up to date. Also remember that software updates are designed to address a particular issue, such as a cold start problem, so it may have no effect on the problem you think might be addressed by a software update. It's never a cure all fix!
    ECU itself: Unlikley to be a problem.
    Injector cleaner: Worthwhile, plus the EW10 engine can clog up on the inlet side with carbon deposits. A fuel additive might be used to address this.
    Speed sensor / braking fault: I'd change the brake switch first as it's not expensive.

Sometimes, faults appear as the result of another fault and can even be phantom or spurious faults You need to get the specific faults read and checked by the dealer to make proper sense of them. The catalytic converter doesn't last forever either.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Sometimes, faults appear as the result of another fault and can even be phantom or spurious faults You need to get the specific faults read and checked by the dealer to make proper sense of them. The catalytic converter doesn't last forever either.
    That's why I found it interesting to compare faults with other numbers from the same source. The "Braking Fault" didn't show a fault code, according to my reader anyway. But the low speed indicates a problem. It isn't a substitute for a proper diagnosis, but it had enough information to be dangerous.

Thread Information