Traction avant rear suspension
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Default Traction avant rear suspension

Hi everyone

if all goes to plan I will get a 1946/7 small boot slough L15!! To be honest although I intensively worked on light 15's for a year I never really loved/liked them

I don't know what changed in between but I can't wait to get one! The only thing I didn't touch on a traction is removal of the rear suspension and ofcourse intensive gearbox overhauls,anyway, I heared it is a PITA job but never got further details, I can't think that those bearings and rubber bushes will last any longer because it's been doing it's job for over 60 years by now! So it's high time they get replaced.

The manual isn't very clear about the removal of the rear suspension, heck to say the truth I barely ever used the manual while working on the cars. People rather helped me and showed me what to do, a much better "manual'', but again, never the rear suspension.

Can anyone tell me or put me in the right direction? It is definitely a job I want to do on my traction

Cheers
    Corne

Advertisement
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Hello Corne,
    Read the manual ----everything you need to know is in there. The biggest problem is removing the torsion bars. The special tool MR 1578 is on page 71 of the illustrations. It is essential that this is used to release the torsion bars from the centre mount. Liberal amounts of penetrene will be needed to help the bars to slide. You may have to have one made!
    Once the torsion bars are released, the trailing arms can be removed by unbolting the silentbloc housings. The De Dion bar can be a pain if the threads are rusted. The last part to remove is the mounting tube that holds the suspension arms to the hull. Once the suspension is out of the way, access is gained to the two large bolts holding the mounting tube in place. The other four bolts are accessible from inside the car under the carpets.
    BTW Once you are driving a properly reconditioned Traction Avant it's charms will grow on you and you will become addicted. However driving a TA that has only been prettied up and that is mechanically poor in the steering, front end and transmission is a PITA.
    Cheers Gerry

Thanks gerry

I just downloaded almost all the manuals on the site you put on the sticky. I hed the pleasure of driving in some very good tractions and boy they can take a corner at speed!!! I was pleasantly surprised but unfortunately I also had drives in some pretty beat up tractions.

Are you also refering to the lovely second gear jump?? Poor adjusted gear linkages, failed master brake cylinders, knackered driveshafts, shuddering clutches, leaky headgaskets, engine blocks cracking when you tighten the head, blocked radiators, worn and leaky waterpumps, sticky valves. worn wheel bearings, wheeldrums spinning loose, LOL yup know that one!

For me the traction steering is far more direct than even the DS!

Cheers
    Corne
    Last edited by CorneSoutAfrica; 14th November 2011 at 07:51 AM.
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by CorneSoutAfrica View Post
    Thanks gerry

Are you also refering to the lovely second gear jump?? Poor adjusted gear linkages, failed master brake cylinders, knackered driveshafts, shuddering clutches, leaky headgaskets, engine blocks cracking when you tighten the head, blocked radiators, worn and leaky waterpumps, sticky valves. worn wheel bearings, wheeldrums spinning loose, LOL yup know that one!

For me the traction steering is far more direct than even the DS!

Cheers
    Corne
    Yes Corne, something like that!!!!!! It is unfortunate that most tractions were sadly neglected during the past 30 or 40 years. For a long while finding quality parts was a real problem. People tended to just do up the motors the best way that they could and left it at that. Many times I have been asked to drive a "restored Traction" only to discover that it drove like a bucket of bolts.
    Have you already purchased your car?
    You are in a position now that allows practically everything to be purchased brand new for these wonderful cars. Therefore your restoration process should be a breeze provided you find a clean unrusty example.
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'd go further than that ... Incredibly Gerry has let me have a drive in his Traction. It's quite incredible, it's steering is at least as direct as a perfectly setup CX ( 99.99% of CX's are far from perfect). 1mm of movement in the steering wheel == car gently turning in that direction. The closest thing I've driven to traction steering is a go-kart. Then you slow down to do a 'U' turn and discover it has the turning circle of a semi trailer

You'll struggle to do anything on a Traction without the special tools. You won't be even able to remove the brake drums. The size of the brake drum puller is amazing. It must apply incredible force on "stuck" drums.

I'd have a traction tomorrow to drive ..... Only my father wont give it to me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Driving "restored" tractions

Hi Gerry,I was interested to read your comments on driving "restored" tractions.
    I too have been invited to drive a "restored" car on a number of occasions and I totally agree with you.
    To a lot of people "restored" means an immaculate paint job and nice new interior and as it is the nice "shiny" cars that win the trophies quite often the mechanical side is sadly neglected.
    One prize winning example I drove had such a worn engine that after a very short it became impossible to breath due the amount of fumes entering the car.

Brian W

Gerry

Yes fortunately new spares are easily available, enough money and everything is possible... quickly. It's going to be an intense resto, as I have heared there is quite a it of rust! New floor pan is a have to. Fortunately replacement panels and sills are available, to say the truth, it doesn't matter how bad it is, I will save this traction, it is worth it to save them!!

Special tools is not of concern, my dad makes them for me, where did my sphere regasser, HP pump special tools, ball joint puller and few other special tools come from?

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Hi Corne,

I, like others, will follow your restoration with interest. On my 11BL I've been re-sleeving wheel cylinders and restoring the Lambert rims in readiness for receiving the 165 x 400s so we can roll her around again. We had to re-manufacture the hubcap retainers on the rims to accept the hubcaps properly. It helps to have a good friend with an engineering workshop! Motor all but ready to swing in. Might go in Christmas day...a family affair of course! Well, between Chrissy and New Year for sure. Likewise the 'special' tools are make shifts / make or make do. All a lot of fun.

Best wishes,

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 14th November 2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add

In that case you will need--
    Gearbox ring nut spanner page36, 1751-T
    Tie rod end puller page37, 1964-T
    Draw Bar page40, Mr. 3349
    Hub Puller/Outer Bearing Puller page42 1750-T plus collets 1820-T and collets 1819-T
    Outer Ring Nut Spanner page43, 1825-T
    Upper and Lower Swivel Ball Pullers page44, 1850-T and 1851-T
    Ring Nut Spanners page44, 1852-T are nice but can be replaced by large shifter and a square edged metal bar to fit slots on inner ring nut
    Inner Stub Axle Ring Nut Spanner page47, 1826-T
    If you wish to rebuild the original driveshafts page 56, and 57, tools on these pages are essential. But if you wish to use newer modern CV joints do not worry about these.
    Brake Drum Concentricity Tool page 61, 2100-T is essential to set up new brake linings as is 2103-T on page 80
    And of course Block Mr 1578 on page 71.
    I also made the caster angle gauge Mr.1767 on page 91. Very Handy when used with a toe in toe out bar!
    Cheers Gerry

Thanks Gerry

To say the truth while working on these cars I used the drum pullers mostly and barely the other tools, apart from the ball joint pullers and the steering rack special tools. But for myself I'd like to have a full range of special tools, for future use too. I'd like to overhaul the orinigal driveshafts, but then again I plan on driving her regularly so maby I should just get a set from Franzose, but then again why would I want to make the driveshafts reliable?? LOL This is classic, let's keep the classic spirit haha.

Tim, before I can touch her I need to finish my Safari which only needs a respray and re assembly.... I'd like to attend a DS meeting next year 01 March with the her. I am burning to get her on the road!!

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Tadpole

corne you must contact us conserning that safari respray

Thread Information