BX 16 V harmonic balancer stuffed
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default BX 16 V harmonic balancer stuffed

The valver's alternator light came on on the way to town. The serpentine belt had come off and the bottom main pulley is at a funny angle.
    Any advice on sourcing \replacing harmonic balancer and belt will be much appreciated.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I read somewhere on AF that David Cavanagh from French Connection can get them rebonded for a good price.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Well. Contacted French Connection who could supply a used HB. Decided to have the original one reconditioned (new rubber) by a local mob for $195 (GST incl). I hope I've done the right thing. Will let you know if it lets go anytime soon.
    Jobs done now- all OK. Has anyone else had experience with reco'd harmonic balancers?
    Also replaced the 16 V serpentine drive belt. The local Cit. dealer said belts are no longer available! managed to source one through local auto repairer. The code for the auxiliary drive belt is 5PK1280 which should work as a cross reference between different belt brands
    Last edited by moulton2speed; 27th November 2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Add belt info

UFO

It's just a serpentine belt and OK you can't buy it with that uber expensive red and white packet, but go to a decent auto parts place, tell them the exact model and they will likely have one on the shelf or can get it in. eg for my old XM I needed a new serpentine belt and alternator belt - I got both new from the parts manual at the then local Autopro and they had them in same day. The car and engine type was listed in the book.

Dayco or Bosch (amongst others) are a good place to start looking.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information