Bx drivers seat.... Any comfortable alternative?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bx drivers seat.... Any comfortable alternative?

Hi All
    I have recently aquired my mum's BX. It has been in the family ffor nearly 20 years.
    The driver's seat is uncomfortable for my wife, and I don't find it much better either.
    I note that the seatbelt buckle is attached to the seat, so a replacement seat would have to have that provision too.

Advertisement

Has anyone ever used a later model seat, or indeed any other type of seat?
    Thinking if I can't fix it car will have to be moved on.
    Thanks

Carl

1000+ Posts

Default Seat

can you get the seat re padded or repaired ,PUGS check out motor trimmers in your area get a quote

Fellow Frogger

16 Valve seats are more supportive and obviously bolt right in, so that would be the smart way forward.

If you wanted to use seats from something like an XM or a later Xantia, I'd ask Martin Bray as he would know whether the runners allow a bolt in swap or more is needed. Avoid very early Xantia seats as they have inadequate back support. Even a Xsara or Pug seat may fit.

Hi Carl, what car are you coming from that makes the BX seat feel uncomfortable?
    I find the BX seats very comfortable (both my TZi and 16Valve).
    Does the drivers seat feel the same as the passenger seat?
    Could it be damaged in some way?

Fellow Frogger!

The Intrepid Tester had a BX, complained about the driver's seat so fitted a Recaro and was very happy.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I know where he's coming from. To this day my wife still has a sore spot in her lower back from the appalling seats fitted to the BX TRi. That combined with the accellerator height and position from hell makes it one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever had the misfortune to travel in. You'd end up with huge legs cramps within an hour if you tried to drive it anywhere (that's even after bending the sh!t out of the accellerator pedal to try and lower it). I put a fuego seat in there that made the seating position to high for me. it was still a crap driving position, but vastly better than the factory seat.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I know where he's coming from. To this day my wife still has a sore spot in her lower back from the appalling seats fitted to the BX TRi. That combined with the accellerator height and position from hell makes it one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever had the misfortune to travel in. You'd end up with huge legs cramps within an hour if you tried to drive it anywhere (that's even after bending the sh!t out of the accellerator pedal to try and lower it). I put a fuego seat in there that made the seating position to high for me. it was still a crap driving position, but vastly better than the factory seat.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    The Intrepid Tester had a BX, complained about the driver's seat so fitted a Recaro and was very happy.
    Well it wasn't actually a Recaro but one of that style. I know because I bought it from him when he traded his BX. I then put it in mine and found it much better than a standard BX seat. I removed it when I sold that car and then sold it to someone on fleabay.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Read the post above re wife with sore back etc to my wife......... same woman it would seem. Pedal and seat are the issue. The padding is the same as the passenger seat, same shape. She complains the backrest won't go vertical enough. I think Quasimodo must have worked for Citroen in the 80's.

Carl

We got a longer piece of metal attached to the pedal when the wagon was bought new, and that made the pedal situation more bearable.
    If you've got a TRS/TRi it is worth trying a 16 Valve (or some TZi's) seat as the different shape is quite a different feel.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

I'm throwing this one in here as it's obviously being viewed by BX-ers who will hopefully be able to tell me - a BX ignoramus - why they sag like this at the back end only: I saw several with the same (down at heel) attitude during a recent holiday in France.
    Thanks guys...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bx drivers seat.... Any comfortable alternative?-img_8333a.jpg  
    1974 D Special, 2015 Fiat Panda Twinair turbo 85hp (), 2011 VW biturbo camper.

Fellow Frogger

Given a little more time, both ends would settle completely, but, like the XM (models before the anti-sink system), the rear end can drop more rapidly and I think it's usually explained as due to internal leakage via the brake valve.

So it's a citroen trait then... Our Xsara has seats an 80s Corolla would be ashamed of.

JBN

Remember that the BX TRi had two different types of seat. I had 2 1989 BX 19 TRi 122 cars. One had lousy seats. The other had what I believe were 16 Valver seats and they were terrific.

I now have a 1995 Xantia VSX and it has lousy seats (even worse that the worst of the TRi seats). They look good, but the headrest attacks me aggressively every time I get in the car.

The 2CV has great seats. If they are too hard after refurbishing them, just pop out every second rubber band that holds the canvas base/backrest. There is no rake adjustment, height adjustment or lumber adjustment. There is no place to rest the left foot as there is no centre console, just a flat floor. On exterme righ handers, push the left foot against the passengers door for stability. Getting into the car invariably means that a belt loop in your jeans gets caught into the door latch, either tearing it off or strangling the balls. The steering wheel is too close and at the wrong angle, as is the accelerator (what a misnomer). After the gauntlet of getting into the car, you no longer worry about the seats. Simple French logic.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    The 2CV has great seats. If they are too hard after refurbishing them, just pop out every second rubber band that holds the canvas base/backrest. There is no rake adjustment, height adjustment or lumber adjustment. There is no place to rest the left foot as there is no centre console, just a flat floor. On extreme right handers, push the left foot against the passengers door for stability. Getting into the car invariably means that a belt loop in your jeans gets caught into the door latch, either tearing it off or strangling the balls. The steering wheel is too close and at the wrong angle, as is the accelerator (what a misnomer). After the gauntlet of getting into the car, you no longer worry about the seats. Simple French logic.

John
    Great stuff!
    1974 D Special, 2015 Fiat Panda Twinair turbo 85hp (), 2011 VW biturbo camper.

I would definitely join in the suggestion of 16 Valve seats. I always found them absolutely fantastic in the BX. So much so that I kept them from the BX and they are now in my Mini. Not many road car seats have adjustable side bolsters.

Since the 16 Valve seats aren't exactly the most common, I'm fairly sure it would be quite easy to fit some Pug 205 seats in. I know they are both on similar rails with the buckle mounted to the seat, and given the similarities between the PSA vehicles of the time (405, BX, 205, Xantia etc.) I imagine it could be a straight swap and 205 seats are certainly not too rare.

Additionally, I can't say anything about the other models of BX but my 16 Valve was fantastically comfortable in both driving position, pedals and seats. I did many a long trip in it and was never uncomfortable or tired. Perhaps the later models had different pedal positions?

My two cents anyways.

Cheers,
    Steve

JBN

Both the BX and Xantia have similar brake pedal and accelerator pedal positions. Both allow the right foot to swivel on the heel and slide sideways from one pedal to the other.

Very few cars have this, most requiring the right foot to be lifted off and up from the accelerator before being placed onto the brake. This is because the normal master cylinder brake pedal configuration on all but centralised hydraulic Citroens, requires reasonable downward travel to accuate the master cylinder piston and hence the brakes.

The Citroen centralised hydraulics just open a valve. By replacing the "silly spring" in the Xantia pedal, just the shadow of the foot is enough to brake the car. If you actually press on the pedal, the car in the rear vision mirror doubles in size very, very quickly.

Being able to slip the right foot sideways to brake is good for a reduction of milliseconds in reaction time.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Both the BX and Xantia have similar brake pedal and accelerator pedal positions. Both allow the right foot to swivel on the heel and slide sideways from one pedal to the other.

Very few cars have this, most requiring the right foot to be lifted off and up from the accelerator before being placed onto the brake. This is because the normal master cylinder brake pedal configuration on all but centralised hydraulic Citroens, requires reasonable downward travel to accuate the master cylinder piston and hence the brakes.
    to slip the right foot sideways to brake is good for a reduction of milliseconds in reaction time.

John
    Its the same deal with the fuego, designed by the same mad french man.
    The scary bit is now that I've read this, I'm starting to suspect he meant it to be like that rather than being an accident of design.
    Is the bx steering wheel offset too???
    Jo

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Its the same deal with the fuego, designed by the same mad french man.
    The scary bit is now that I've read this, I'm starting to suspect he meant it to be like that rather than being an accident of design.
    Is the bx steering wheel offset too???
    Jo
    Not really, although the lower steering arm (between the knuckle and the rack) is angled towards the centre of the car.

I wish the Xantia's steering wheel was offset in relation to the instrument panel so that I could see the the high beam indicator without removing my right hand from the steering wheel. Obviously designed by some occupant of a French letter.

John

Thread Information