Advice on selling 2003 C5
  • Help

Default Advice on selling 2003 C5

Hi All

Its time to move on my 2003 C5 wagon. pretty sick and tired of the endless issues. At the moment its running really well and is in great condition except...
    Airbag warning light comes on for no reason
    Anti pollution light copmes on for no reason
    rear hatrch window no longer opens and electric fold back of the mirrors has ceased.

i have tried to fix the above without success. although I recently had the water pump and cam belt changed, new brake rotors and pads and full service.

Do i try to part exchange the car as is for something else or invest more money in trying to fix the issues in the hope i might get more money for the car in a part exchange?

The above issues are going to put off any dealers in giving me a good price but is it worh spending more money on it ( you cant polish a turd?)
    your thoughts?

cheers

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

There's a guy or trader on Ebay who seems to almost specialize in C5s. From memory Slacks Creek, Qld. They often start off at very low prices but always seem to work their way up price wise. He gives a bit of a written rundown on each one.
    I'd recommend looking at some of the Ebay ads, this guys bound to be there. Take note of how the cars are photographed and angles and locations used, style your ad on theres and go for it. I get the impression many of the buyers could even be interstate. He's not there with a C5 at the moment. But his description reads more like a letter to a friend. Rather than the stupid, colourless templates a lot of dealers use. He writes a bit in the style of John Brown who sells classic cars in England.
    So rather than pitching a sale like a long suffering owner, he's more warm and fuzzy without being too specific about a car he's probably one driven once. "She drives very well, the airconditioning is really cold. The gears shift very smoothly. Then with the body he'll say "She present very well, smart metallic paint, the car looks like new"

Good luck!

Fellow Frogger

I think the problems are fairly minor in the overall scheme of things. However, depending on how you approach them, you may not increase the value of the car by more than what you have to spend to have someone sort them out.

Airbag light: You need to get more specific information to address it. However, it may come down to needing a new lighting/indicator (aka the Comm 2000) unit if it turns out to be a broken clockspring inside that unit.

Anti-Pollution light: There could be a variety of cuplrits here, so again you need to know the exact fault to resolve it. Really, the very first question to ask is always about fuel quality. Are you using at least 95 RON fuel? There will be a reason for the warning light, so it's unlikely to just come on for no reason.

Rear hatch: On the wagon, there is a printed circuit in the glass and that is usually what stops the glass from opening. You can either replace the glass or there is a repair kit you can buy from a dealer that is a wire, some terminals and an adhesive strip so you can bypass the failed printed circuit. The repair kit is much cheaper than a new glass, but is a little fiddly to fit. A used tailgate glass may or may not be any good as it may look OK, but have the same problem (unless it already has the extra wire kit fitted). So, you'd want some test and/or comback on a used piece of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by fluery View Post
    Hi All

Its time to move on my 2003 C5 wagon. pretty sick and tired of the endless issues. At the moment its running really well and is in great condition except...
    Airbag warning light comes on for no reason
    Anti pollution light copmes on for no reason
    rear hatrch window no longer opens and electric fold back of the mirrors has ceased.

i have tried to fix the above without success. although I recently had the water pump and cam belt changed, new brake rotors and pads and full service.

Do i try to part exchange the car as is for something else or invest more money in trying to fix the issues in the hope i might get more money for the car in a part exchange?

The above issues are going to put off any dealers in giving me a good price but is it worh spending more money on it ( you cant polish a turd?)
    your thoughts?

cheers
    Trade it in with a major dealer. Don't tell them anything, they will find out themselves and offer you the 'wholesale' price anyway and try to rip you off blind. Volunteer nothing, and they probably won't even ask you. If by chance (slim) they ask if the car is OK, just act dumb and say 'as far as I know'.
    They will ask how much you want for it first off, and then tell you they will 'ring around' but don't think they will be able to get to your figure. In the meantime, take whatever you want to buy for a test drive and when you get back they won't even talk about your C5 as a car, just what the changeover is. You go from there, just discussing the money. Believe me, I KNOW THIS!
    There are THREE rules when trading and buying a car from dealers; FIRST, NEVER ACCEPT THEIR FIRST OFFER OR THEIR BEST OFFER ON THE DAY, ALWAYS SAY YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT IT OVERNIGHT.
    SECOND: LET THEM CALL YOU BACK THE NEXT DAY, DO NOT CALL THEM FIRST!
    AND THIRD AND THE MOST IMPORTANT; NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER FEEL SORRY FOR THEM! BE MERCILESS - THEY ARE THE ENEMY!!!!
    Years and years and countless deals have taught me this.

Thread Information