DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>

Icon2 DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>

Prompted by a request for help from AF member ramonm, typical problem broken corners on his instrument dash cluster.

Word to the wise, the cluster is fixed in place by four stainless screws, the cause of the broken corners is simply these are overtightened. The screws actually only need the slightest of tension, the cluster cannot fall out, it's held by the three loom connectors and the speedo cable.

broken DS 23 dash

I'm in the process of bringing a few clusters back to service, and finding several parts are starting to look pretty shabby after 30+ years.

There are a few configurations dependent on model trim levels, and I suspect what might have been available at the factory at the time of assembly.

In the pic I have three variations, the top one has a chrome trim on the raised dial faces, the centre is without any bling (more likely seen on base spec models) and the lower face is one I'm working on for ramonm - this had the satin foil treatment, I have re-painted using a plastic primer (clear) and pressure pack silver sprayed into a saucer and using a fine sable brush hand painted.

Advertisement

I know there is a foil kit available as a self adhesive, but I wouldn't be too confident that the end result would be too good in our Aussie sun.

On close inspection the clear dial faces are quite scratched, it would seem in an attempt to clean over zealous owners have actually put concentric scratches into the plastic. The only way to fix this is by removing the clear face, I've done this with a few and had great success using Novus Plasic Polish - this is a three part process but really does polish out the scratches.

The next problem I've seen is that the symbols on the left dial face are starting to fade away... this one is not too bad but you can see the Low beam/ indicator triangles and temp symbols are on their way out. [BTW, this one has not been polished but will get the treatment]

I've scanned and redrawn the left dial face, from a good dial I have...

Redrawn in vector format...

...and screenprinted the symbols, the red STOP seems to survive, but I have this on screen in case...

Now maybe to the point of this thread, there must be a bunch of broken discarded clusters out there, if anyone would like to donate or accept some small payment, I'm interested in taking them apart and recycling the useful parts. The chrome rings at the base of each dial seem to degrade and good replacements would be useful.

In this pic the left rim is quite good but the one on the right has seen better days

I don't need the whole cluster, just the broken black face, but would be happy to take whatever...
    With a small stockpile of usable parts I would then be happy to help others rejuvenate their clusters - and dependent on what is required maybe a small fee

Once I get Ramon's cluster face back together I'll update this thread

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>-symbol_face_removed.jpg   DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>-faded_symbols.jpg   DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>-left_dial_scan.jpg   DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>-vecor_art_colour.jpg   DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>-dial_on_screen.jpg   DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>-printed_dial.jpg  

DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>-chrome_rims2.jpg  
    Lasya and dino like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Nice work, Chris!

As with everything you seem to do.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Great work Chris.

I am wondering about the broken corner problem. Is it possible that when the panels left the factory there were spacers behind the screws? Maybe a piece of tubing on the screw which would make the screw captive? I will experiment with mine to see if something can be fitted. It would allow the screws to be tightened a little to avoid rattles.

As you know I have had my cluster apart this week with great results thanks to your input. One thing that bugs me though is that the high beam warning light and the other blue light warning are very dim. Any ideas why?

On another matter I am just amazed that the Citroen designers when they designed this last dashboard for the DS managed to obscure half the warning lights with the steering wheel rim, unforgivable given that it had a single spoke presumably to improve visibility. They really did lose the plot.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

I'll send one off to you Chris, the instruments are probably good, but didn't meet the richo quality control requirements or the auction description. Pedant that I am.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Great work Chris.

I am wondering about the broken corner problem. Is it possible that when the panels left the factory there were spacers behind the screws? Maybe a piece of tubing on the screw which would make the screw captive? I will experiment with mine to see if something can be fitted. It would allow the screws to be tightened a little to avoid rattles.

As you know I have had my cluster apart this week with great results thanks to your input. One thing that bugs me though is that the high beam warning light and the other blue light warning are very dim. Any ideas why?

On another matter I am just amazed that the Citroen designers when they designed this last dashboard for the DS managed to obscure half the warning lights with the steering wheel rim, unforgivable given that it had a single spoke presumably to improve visibility. They really did lose the plot.
    Hi Michael,

Yes, maybe a rubber washer fixed to the dash side of the hole, once you feel the tension of the rubber squeezing your done?

The High/Low beam lenses can be replaced, I have one that I am looking to get a better lens for. The bulbs are supposed to be 2w (read dull) otherwise the heat can melt the plastic. Looking for a plastic that might withstand a little more heat/ more transparent green and blue/ or cooler bulbs.

I have heard of someone here fitting brighter but cooler LEDs - these look like a possibility - T653SMD2P ?
    http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/...entGlobes.html

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    I'll send one off to you Chris, the instruments are probably good, but didn't meet the richo quality control requirements or the auction description. Pedant that I am.
    Always to be relied upon - what can I say

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Chris, can I please use it as my avatar?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Chris, can I please use it as my avatar?
    The colour is a little bright, I could tone it down a bit for you and with some arm twisting we could have flashing indicators

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

DS

The late Paul Smith did some dramatic work on his DS23 and had the main and high beam sections so bright it was almost annoying! I vaguely remember him talking of a combo of cleaning AND sanding the blue and green bits down to a thinner more transparent section.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    The colour is a little bright, I could tone it down a bit for you and with some arm twisting we could have flashing indicators

Cheers
    Chris

With flashing indicators, and the red centre illuminating occasionally?

Icon3

With flashing indicators, and the red centre illuminating occasionally?
    Sheesh, ya' don't want much...

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Instrument Cluster - 1970&gt;-ds-dial.gif  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Holy Guacamole! How cool is this?

Much appreciated Chris, thank you.

Now, to stop those other buggars flogging it....

1000+ Posts

Default like your work

must admit i was wondering what qots spelt in french till i worked out it was STOP back to front

Excellent avatar, I'm very nearly envious, almost.

Hey it looks great, much better than an old Safari.

Hah! It looks very much like mine on Moby Dick. I modified things to have either right of left flasher pilot lamp on with the corresponding indicator. I bever liked the original which just flashed both together.

Great work, all of you, but especially Chris, the Graphics Wizard.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2006 307 Auto 5 Door ("Spike" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 ex UK 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    Half of a 1984 2CV6Special ("The Alleged Vehicle")
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Richo,

Nicely said, but no, nothing looks better than an old Safari

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Hah! It looks very much like mine on Moby Dick. I modified things to have either right of left flasher pilot lamp on with the corresponding indicator. I bever liked the original which just flashed both together.

Great work, all of you, but especially Chris, the Graphics Wizard.

Cheers, Pottsy
    That really bugs me too, I have clusters that illuminate both and others that just illuminate the direction you select. I'd love to know how to change to the latter...

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

And I'm sure Chris could be talked into illuminating those stoplights and blinkers on the Safari avatar!
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 15th September 2011 at 08:46 PM.

DS

That really bugs me too, I have clusters that illuminate both and others that just illuminate the direction you select. I'd love to know how to change to the latter...

Some earlier 3 dial dash units had individual flashing arrows for left and right. Find one of those!
    Mort Subite likes this.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Some earlier 3 dial dash units had individual flashing arrows for left and right. Find one of those!
    When I grew up in France and rode countless family IDs DSs , as well as Taxis, etc.. I am pretty sure the arrows were either left or right. I think both illuminating is a fault that develops with old age somehow.
    Although not 100% sure, but almost.

Icon5

When I grew up in France and rode countless family IDs DSs , as well as Taxis, etc.. I am pretty sure the arrows were either left or right. I think both illuminating is a fault that develops with old age somehow.
    Although not 100% sure, but almost.
    Possibly? I can't check 'cause I've no guards or rear trumpets on the car

I did check one cluster with the car in this state and it not only illuminated left and right but also the red light between the two [<>] which I would expect to see with hazards on?

Once the car is back together I'd like to get it working like Pottsy's/ your avatar

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

On Moby the two lamps were paralleled by the printed circuit (as I recall, it was a few years ago). I isolated them and ran new wires to the relevant connections on the indicator switch.

A bonus to doing this is that if I ever need to I can use a simple 2 pin flasher unit rather than the original three pin jobbie. (The third pin is a "common" for the pilot lamp, in the original case both together.)

Not a difficult job to do, but only if you don't care about keeping everything original as the maker intended.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2006 307 Auto 5 Door ("Spike" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 ex UK 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    Half of a 1984 2CV6Special ("The Alleged Vehicle")
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Regarding the high beam light, they should be dim. The last thing you want is a bright light when running in high beam. The CX's high beam indicator can hardly be seen in daylight but at night bright enough.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Regarding the high beam light, they should be dim. The last thing you want is a bright light when running in high beam. The CX's high beam indicator can hardly be seen in daylight but at night bright enough.
    Ah yes, I agree, but my H/B light is so dim as to be almost invisible even at night. I have had the whole assembly apart and cleaned it all, and even check and changed bulbs, but no big improvement.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    On Moby the two lamps were paralleled by the printed circuit (as I recall, it was a few years ago). I isolated them and ran new wires to the relevant connections on the indicator switch.

A bonus to doing this is that if I ever need to I can use a simple 2 pin flasher unit rather than the original three pin jobbie. (The third pin is a "common" for the pilot lamp, in the original case both together.)

Not a difficult job to do, but only if you don't care about keeping everything original as the maker intended.

Cheers, Pottsy
    That's a modification I'd gladly undertake, It makes much more sense when negotiating a roundabout etc. and of course it is reversable even if another cluster is required. My car could never be seen as original, so many changes from when it was driven off the showroom floor.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

DS

I've been out in the garage looking at the three units I have. Two are clearly from later model cars as they have the mount for the optical fibre pick-up. The other is stamped 1970.
    I'm now kinda keen to take the back panel off them to see what differences there might be on the circuits panels.

Its easy to see what position the indicator stalk is in to see where you are signalling even with the two flashing.

My 1969 dash has one green flasher on the left of the speedo that flashes for left or right. Often passengers tell I'm supposed to be turning right as they only see a left bit flashing!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information