The DS Appreciation Thread - Page 202
  • Register
  • Help
Page 202 of 202 First ... 102152192198199200201202
Results 5,026 to 5,035 of 5035
Like Tree1634Likes

Thread: The DS Appreciation Thread

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I think I have heard of something weird like this before on a CX. the exhaust/return lines from the height corrector were blocked. so it would slowly increase in height (which is where the poor ride quality comes from).

Advertisement
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I think I have heard of something weird like this before on a CX. the exhaust/return lines from the height corrector were blocked. so it would slowly increase in height (which is where the poor ride quality comes from).
    Interesting Shane. He can look at these on his return. I looked on the map and from Roma there's a way to go but the beauty of the long stroke motorcars ( pre 1965 ) is that they lope along - - quite opposite to Geoff's Automatic. They are both going well and isn't this what car runs are all about ??

John

Okay, I rang him - -- - -

Michael took a wrong turn out Surat way. He’s carrying 15lt spare fuel and hoping Surat has fuel. Took the hubcaps off as he is on gravel road in the Qld heat. “It’ll take me Ĺ a day extra to get where I should”, he said.

I told him to enjoy the countryside as that was why he is there. Don’t know whether he was all that convinced. A few F words but Shane’s thoughts of return pipe blockage is taken aboard. I said that will give him something to think about on hot, rough, lonely roads. I think like me, we had been in Queensland - - - long enough.

John in lovely country Victoria

Michael doing it a little - - tough.

---------------

Tuesday noon Michael just called - - -
    Shane, it looks like you could be onto something. Michael reached Glenmorgan near Surat for fuel and with the guy there, blew out the return pipe as much as he could.”

Because the previous owner had put the car on Canola oil Michael has been on the long journey of cleaning, seals etc. Michael doesn’t think the pipe is thoroughly clean yet but feels that the hydraulics are already behaving better.
    So this has been a good turn of events for Michael, who was feeling a bit - - in despair. A good cup of coffee and a feed and he’ll be cruisin’.

John

Rang in South of Moree around 4pm. Maybe get to Menduran on the river but probably too many kangaroos at night. Cruising at around 95kmp car going well but convinced height corrector return pipe blocked. Will push wire through when home.

8am Wed 11th Apr- - Slept at truck stop just before Coonabarabram Going strong after a good sleep Dead kangaroos on road so didn't want to do the night driving to Menduran.

2pm Wed - - Rang Michael again - - Leak from front brake caliper only when braking. Bought 8 litres Castrol, I think, brake fluid. Having a day sleep near Nerrandera. Probably make Castlemaine in the early hours of Thur morning.

Wed 11th Apr. Michael got in at 10.30pm. It turned out that when he blew out the height corrector return pipe back near Surat the pressure disconnected a hose up front. He thought it was a leak in the brake calliper so this is an easy fix job. He can now put things back together and see how things go. A good end to a good trip.

John
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 17th April 2018 at 03:37 PM.
    FIVEDOOR and Vincenzo like this.

In case that you haven't see it.. An excellent Citroen story from National Geographic..
    Car SOS S06E05 Citroen DS - Video Dailymotion

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Boulanger View Post
    In case that you haven't see it.. An excellent Citroen story from National Geographic..

Whoa! Made my holidays. Thank you for posting, Pierre.
    Pierre Boulanger likes this.
    Current Garage:

'68 DS21 PALLAS BVH
    '51 11BL

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Whoa! Made my holidays. Thank you for posting, Pierre.
    the end is the best bit .... "I don't I'll take it to 180km/h today".................. 'Dad, that's not allowed anymore"............
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180411_144655.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	105309The DS Appreciation Thread-20180411_144920.jpgThe DS Appreciation Thread-20180411_145043.jpgThe DS Appreciation Thread-20180411_145020.jpgThe DS Appreciation Thread-61407929073.jpg

I could not resist sharing these pics of the DS23, after her recent renovation. The hydraulics system, electrical components and automatic gearbox have been attended to over the last few years and the repaint and, rubber seals and brightwork have just been completed.

A recent rip to the country in the Oberon, NSW district was too good a chance to miss for some pics.

Hope others enjoy them too.

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The DS Appreciation Thread-looking-east.jpg  

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kenlin View Post

I could not resist sharing these pics of the DS23, after her recent renovation. The hydraulics system, electrical components and automatic gearbox have been attended to over the last few years and the repaint and, rubber seals and brightwork have just been completed.

A recent rip to the country in the Oberon, NSW district was too good a chance to miss for some pics.

Hope others enjoy them too.

Ken

Great to see a DS23IE Auto on long country runs, proof that they are just as able as other Deesses , despite the bias often shown in Citroen forums against the Borg Warner. Do you have any issues to report such as overheating or unreliability during the trip?. How many kms did you travel all up?
    I use ATF33 transmission fluid, do you as well?

Bombardment is imminent.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 19th April 2018 at 06:20 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

nice pics

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Boulanger View Post
    Wonderful vid.

I do wonder how such a venture was funded ... that was one serious resto!
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Great to see a DS23IE Auto on long country runs, proof that they are just as able as other Deesses , despite the bias often shown in Citroen forums against the Borg Warner. Do you have any issues to report such as overheating or unreliability during the trip?. How many kms did you travel all up?
    I use ATF33 transmission fluid, do you as well?

Bombardment is imminent.

This trip was around 300 kms return from home and the a few days later I made a similar trip to Gosford and return. Engine overheating has never been a problem with this car, even on the hottest day but I am careful to keep the re-cored radiator in as good condition as possible. And yes, I believe ATF33 was used in the refill for the B/W at last year's rebuild.

No unreliability issues to report, unless following one of my earlier "repair" efforts when something was not done properly. I do admit though, that on a really hot day this is not the car of choice. Cabin heat can be pretty oppressive.

I do concede too that when first released in Australia, the B/W Autos did present their share of problems. Hopefully those issues have been sorted some 40+ years later. These days, I find it a delight to drive on long touring runs, keeping up easily with modern cars and when closer to home, pottering around the shopping centres effortlessly.

Cheers

Ken
    harrisson_citroen and antonio like this.

Thread Information