2005 C4 cranking but not firing
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 2005 C4 cranking but not firing

My 2005 C4 is cranking over nicely, battery is still strong but the engine won't fire. The display comes up with initial warning signals, park brake, seat belts etc then they go out as (normal) but then it switches into Economy Mode and nothing is displayed.

When holding the key and continuously cranking the sound does change (i.e. sounds like there is a spark and some attempt at ignition) then it goes and is pure cranking noise only until I gave up. Checked all fuses, all OK. I took the engine cover off, which is the first bit of work i have done and found a valve on what I guess is the fuel injector rail. I pressed it and fuel jetted out which I assume is normal and should mean sufficient fuel is getting to the cylinders. I am thinking air/fuel sensor or coil is problems? Any ideas?

Advertisement

I am hoping this is a common problem or at least has been encountered by someone before. Any advice welcome as I was planning on using my C4 to enjoy the Easter holidays!

I reckon the fuel coming out of the valve just indicates the fuel pump is working - there is pressure in the fuel system, so it's probably getting fuel to the injectors. Whether they're firing or not is another question.

Is it likely that this engine and transmission combination shares the top dead centre sensor arrangement of the Renault Scenic? If so, I'd recommend removing and cleaning that sensor.

Can anyone confirm whether this theory might apply to the C4?

Fellow Frogger

Probably the coil pack, but if you find the fuel pump turns out not to be working, then you might suspect the fuse/relay box in the engine bay. Trying a known good coil pack would be the simplest way to check.

Tadpole

Fired after having the battery disconnected for over 1 hr. I guess that gave the ECU time to reset. Not sure if it has really fixed the problem. I will wait and see.

Fellow Frogger

It's not likely to be that simple as there are a few ECU's involved. You might be lucky, but I would be surprised if there is a failure to start problem that would be permanently cured by disconnecting the battery, unless you've disturbed a corroded or bad connector pin in the process. If you plan to go away, try to get the fault codes read to see if they point the proverbial finger at some area.

don

Default Re c4 not firing

Ive Just had the under bonet fuse box replaced.
    The Symptoms were qite dramatic.
    The car just stopped in traffic and would not start. Healthy crank but nothing..
    Had the car towed home and did some homework with the help of a felow frogger and his maxi diag

Fuel rail faults. Coil faults Oxygen sensor faults and High speed cooling fan faults.
    C4owers.org had a mirriad of information about a well known quality problem with the circuitry under the F10 Fuse. In the engine bay. Early C4 models
    My C4 is a 05 1.6 16v Coupe manual with 74K on the clock

Gosford Euro cars replaced the fuse box and hey presto all good

I bought extended new car warranty so the replacment box and labour cost ($1400.00) plus the towing ( $ 275 ) was covered.

Get your vehicle Lexia tested.

Note the same fuse box is fitted to some other peugeot and Cit models ( C5, C6. 307 and 206)

when i get a chance Ill put some pix of the underside of the box up

don

Default re C4 Firing

This is the underside of a C4 Engine Bay Fuse Box
    Note there is 2 layers of PCB and the rear casing cannot be dismantled.

The Relays and connection points on the top are bedded in 3 mil of silicon.

The Same unit is fitted to some Peugeot 307 and Citroen C5 and C6

Evidently corrosion plays havoc with this unit around the F10 fuse area
    I canít see how there would be any corrosion as advised, as it is obviously hermetically sealed unless there is corrosion making its way through the connectors on the top side.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information