Richo's Aperture Shroud
  • Register
  • Help

Default Richo's Aperture Shroud

So do we love or curse a man like Richo???

If Richo hadn't gone and recreated the gearshift aperture shroud, I would've been content having a raggedy aperture shroud as everybody else's was the same. But no, he had to go and reinvent the bloody wheel so of course I had to fit a new aperture shroud because he made the bloody things available.

But seriously speaking, it wasn't as difficult as I had initially thought it would be because I was trying to fit it the wrong way to start with. A previous owner had fitted a LHD shroud to the backing plate (as opposed to fitting it to the binnacle housing) so of course I had all manner of difficulty trying to fit a shroud for a RHD car in the same way. An 8mm ratchet spanner and a long socket was all that was needed and it actually didn't take that long.

Advertisement

Thanks Richo.

Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You can tell it's a richo production though .... look how perfectly it fits! We probably should chase on of them up for my father DS if he's going to tidy it up

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon6

^^^ Nice one Michael

I had the same feeling of satisfaction when I fitted mine, Richo being the perfectionist he is did a brilliant job. It's a big improvement on the ragged mess it replaced which was always noticed by a passenger.

I believe these were a limited edition run, sadly if you don't have one I doubt there are any left...

All credit to Richo (jackafrica)

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I think you will find there are plenty left. Even if there were none in Australia (and I have no idea how many there are) I reckon some overseas suppliers would still hold stocks.

Roger

David Carruthers in NZ and also Darrin Brownhill of Citroen Classics should be able to help out
    and locally, provided you are a member of CCOCA. These guys I'm certain have stock.

I'm humbled that those who took advantage of my original offer have found my work to be exacting. That was my desire.
    Whilst I no longer own a manual car, at the time it annoyed me the RHD version of the part was not available. BTW, it cost me $3300 up front to have this work done. This was funded by those mentioned initially,
    Without the help of Darrin Brownhill in the UK who supplied the original sample, David Carruthers in NZ who bought a number and CCOCA ( particularly AF member Hawk ) who also supported the project though strangely didn't promote, they bought some. Andre Pohl in the Netherlands also bought a few because some customers had asked.

Sincere thanks to the folks who supported, it's gratifying to know owners realising the benefit of my effort.
    Last edited by richo; 17th April 2011 at 01:30 PM.

Looks very much 'the business' Michael.....

....and no doubt helped by being well made in the first instance

having seen the quality of the spheres you did for me the shroud would have been the best of the best.
    Do you know if anyone has any left?

Great to have someone like you who leaves no stone unturned to give the best.

Thanks Richo.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    www.ds23.com.au
    Had a 1974 D Special 4Sp (by now reborn as a Toaster)

I have Richo's adjustable spheres in my DS23. They work every bit as well as they look. Lots of fun over every bit of Sydney roads!
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Nice job.
    Should last at least another 40 years before it starts looking tatty.

The gearshift rubber is available in Citroen Classics webshop

Search for DV856124 to find it at www.citroenclassics.com
    Last edited by onlyfrogcars; 19th April 2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: updated information

Quote Originally Posted by onlyfrogcars View Post

I would suggest you ensure its made of more pliable rubber than the originals.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by onlyfrogcars View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    These are the same part re-manufactured by jackafrica, I'd be confident they will out perform the original rubber. I don't think I know anyone who researches and attends to detail like Richo.

...though to be fair, the original rubber probably started life quite supple, time takes it's toll.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Default The Shroud

This is the order link
    http://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/ru...ards-425-p.asp

Already got one on the way... Good one Richo....
    1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    www.ds23.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    The replacement rubbers were made from exactly the same material and duro as the original and are the precise shape. This is unlike the LHD replica replacement which is inferior in both shape and material.
    When these replicas were made, no input was forthcoming from anyone with knowledge, much less a complete rubber as a sample. The sample was kindly provided from the UK after an exhaustive search.

The original rubbers broke up due to incorrect and inacurate shift linkage positions and wear, coupled with the factory error of a material selected which was high on UV inhibitors reducing the ability of any elastomer to effectively be pliable. The introduction of the 5 speed transmission did nothing to enhance the longevity of this part.

The incorrect positioning and wear of the various linkage pieces leads to an early demise in replacements fitted after the subsequent failure of the original. While Citroen made everything adjustable, unfortunately the assemblers and the carers ( mechanical technicians ) in the main were and are blissfully unaware that this feature of multiple adjustments leads to premature failure of components if alignment is imprecise. When the cars were new, the rubbers split with monotonous regularity and were simply replaced to once more fail, without diagnosis as to why, other than the assumption they were manufactured incorrectly.
    The replacement lasted two years in the Safari without failing, due to careful and diligent attention to the linkage conditions, replacement of all the relevant parts which wear and careful adjustment. After two years I converted to Safari to BVH making the rubber redundant.
    It would be worth your while to investigate the precise positioning of your shift lever in each gear with relation to the corners of the cutouts.

These positions are affected by the play and angle of the lever in its pivot, which is usually worn (unless bushed or built up precisely), the teflon bushings, the bronze bushing near the edge of the firewall and the nylon spherical ball at the shift cross shaft are all subject to wear. Adjustment of the alloy plate holding the previously mentioned bushing, the ball joint free play on the shift shaft also plays a part. The binnacle position and the rubber itself is adjustable to improve precise location. The application of the merest smear of glycerin on the edges which touch the shift lever wand will help. The result may well surprise you with reward.

The intent of this missive is to enlighten readers with the nuances involved in the successful application of the rubber cover. The original design and material of the component is not flawed, rather the design of the entire subassembly is compromised by a lack of cohesive engineering.

Thought I'd lost the original cad captures, third image shows detail which separates this from the other LHD replicas, they don't have the full shape.
    In addition, there are images I took while shooting molds and making the pieces. These last are large images. It is precision toolmaking, the factory went to a lot of trouble designing and making the tooling. Their achievement should never be underestimated.

Might sip a Ricard or two to warm the cockles, which are colder here in deepest Tassie on this day, skip the ice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richo's Aperture Shroud-citreon1.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-citreon2.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-citreon3.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-rubber-1.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-rubber-2.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-rubber-3.jpg  

Richo's Aperture Shroud-rubber-4.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-rubber-moulding-1.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-rubber-moulding-3.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-rubber-moulding-5.jpg   Richo's Aperture Shroud-rubber-moulding-4.jpg  
    Last edited by richo; 24th April 2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: added images

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica View Post

Might sip a Ricard or two to warm the cockles, which are colder here in deepest Tassie on this day, skip the ice.
    I will look at my linkages with a Pernod on hand to help align the eyesight... Warm enough for Ice today... Raise a glass to you Richo... Cheers
    1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    www.ds23.com.au

Thread Information