DS windscreen washer pump
  • Register
  • Help
    mnm

Default DS windscreen washer pump

Hi everyone

where is the windscreen washer pump supposed to be mounted? My car is a 1970 DSpecial. I have bought a new pump but it loses its prime if I mount it where the old one was up in the left corner of the engine bay near the paint code disc... above the water bottle.

Advertisement

I placed it done lower under the steering column and it works great.. below the water line. So I'm curious where the original ubits weere placed.

Thanks

Matthew

Sometimes where things should be and where they happen to work best are not the same thing. Personally, I'd be putting it where it works....

The old pump probably had a one way check valve internally.. You can probably get one to go in line on the new pump, then mount it in the same place..
    1966 CitroŽn DS19 Pallas, 1969 Ford F100, 1959 Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, 1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible

And remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself..

1970 is most probably a different "fitting and fixtures" specification to my car which is a March '74 manufacture.

However for what its worth, my DSp originally had a plunger type pump fitted inside a large slim/flat washer bottle down on the inner wing. The dash lever would need to be pulled back with every 'squirt' you wanted/got from the washers. Just like a manual pump although it was actioned electronically. It never lost prime - but you had to keep pulling the lever back to get water (I've also seen one on a CX2000/Super)...

When that unit died due to the rubber seal in the plunger failing, at the time plunger type replacements were (and probably still not) avaliable, so a modern electric pump attached to a new plactic washer bottle was fitted in the same place (on the wing) since the day it was installed it NEVER seems to have prime and invariably it hardly gets used...

I understand you can buy one-way valves that are used in fish tank applications on the air hoses to prevent you coming home to a drained tank on the living room floor if the air pump dies. The valves should fit the size of the usual water line.

If you use one of these valves you should be able to fit the washer bottle anywhere you like.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    .....I understand you can buy one-way valves that are used in fish tank applications on the air hoses to prevent you coming home to a drained tank on the living room floor if the air pump dies. The valves should fit the size of the usual water line.

If you use one of these valves you should be able to fit the washer bottle anywhere you like.
    Oh, who to ask?

I seem to be promoting Supercheap! Twice in a week.

They have a washer kit which includes a one way valve, tee piece, a couple of meter of hose, wiring, push button switch, 2x nozzles, powerful pump and resevoir. Whole kit under $17. At that price you can pick and choose which parts you need.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

There is probably no such thing as the proper place ... the cars were fitted with what was supplied at the time of assembly.The same goes for the position and attachments for the horns..the second tone country horns especially, they seem to be on a pick and fit system, and every car I noticed was different.

Go with whatever works...

Thread Information