DS rear muffler/resonator
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS rear muffler/resonator

Moby Dick has one of those flat "two pipes in, two pipes out" rear mufflers which has just about gone to God.

Advertisement

I've lost count of how many times I've brazed up the holes and in fact I reckon it's more bronze than muffler these days. (Maybe I should mount it on a plinth and flog it to the arty set?)

Anyway, does anyone have any experience in (a) sourcing a new one or (b) sourcing a suitable replacement?

Apparently it's started "puffing" again so it's probably found a new place to rust through.

All suggestions gratefully received. Need to do something soon as I want to get the roadworthy so I can transfer to Club rego before the full one runs out (1st of May)

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post

All suggestions gratefully received. Need to do something soon as I want to get the roadworthy so I can transfer to Club rego before the full one runs out (1st of May)

Cheers, Pottsy
    ...get rid of it, run two straight pipes from the proper muffler.

Then you can be one of us...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

IIRC, except for early DS19s, there is only one muffler on a D. Just the one under ya bum!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    IIRC, except for early DS19s, there is only one muffler on a D. Just the one under ya bum!
    Yes, only the earliest DS19s, the ones with the single oval aluminium tailpipe before February 1958, had a small expansion chamber in the downpipe before the main front muffler. Mine, from 1959, has only the one front muffler and twin round tailpipes.

Roger

I guess in the 37 years since 1974, any changes are possible. The unit is a flat assembly with the two pipes from the main muffler connecting via flares and compression clamps and the exit pipes being twins as well. Not unlike the picture attached. Whether it's original or not is anyone's guess.

I've thought about welding in a couple of pipe sections, but lacked the right size at the time.

I vaguely recall my 1975 DS23 injection having the same unit as well.

For whatever reason, that's what it's got. I guess I'll pull the mongrel off again and see where the holes are this time!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS rear muffler/resonator-rear-echappement.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Default muffler

Hi Ray,
    I have a brand new old stock muffler which I don't need since I sold my 1974 D Special.
    Give me a call and we can work out a price.
    Ted Cross

PS We go to the Cit-in on Monday morning..............for 3 weeks.

You might be surprised what your local exhaust distributors can get their hands on.
    Othewise, they're cartainly available from overseas....

http://www.citroworld.com/tableaux/i...20&itemId=1251

Even with the favourable Euro, still not quite as cheap ( maybe ) its omission and replacement with dual rear pipes straight through.
    About $125 delivered to your door, by my rough calculation of a total cost including postage based on a 5kg package.

BTW, personally i've always thought this muffler a cool addition, though the car needs a bit of noise from the back to balance the thrashing of the tappets and other under bonnet protests.

Hope this helps.

Citroen Classics in the UK and DS21.EU have the same muffler....

Both sites allow postage calculation. So for the muffler and postage, when converted to AUD, totals around $185-190 landed....

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

The citroholics here removed the rear silencer because they rust so quickly, even though we have rather dry climates... Recently I aqquired a brand new old rear silencer which I would like to try out, but a friend took his rear silencer to an exhaust guy to have them made out of stainless steel. So then we will have a whole stainless system from the flex to the last piece of exhaust pipe. We took an overseas silencer too, cut it open and copied it to stainless. With all the internals the same as the mild steel ones.

I wonder how long it will last and if it will be a quiet as the mildsteel, I hope so. As soon as we put them on the car I'll take a pic of the system. I think $400 for the whole stainless system and fitted is not a bad price, considering it's specially built!!

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

If "think" that these secondary units were fitted to later year DS21 Pallas cars, and that DSpecial/DSuper only had the twin pipes from the main silencer unless specified differently by the purchaser or modified at/after delivery (in Aust).

I have an original NOS that I was going to fit to my DSp (thought it should make it quieter), but then I thought why would I add another silencer (needing to cut the existing stainless steel pipes and mount another pipe strap) to have another silencer to develop holes and generally be more trouble than the existing one unit under the front seats...

Its still in my garage.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

You could always take the car to a muffler shop and have them build you a one piece with a glasspack mounted horizontally in the section under the front seats, and a two inch pipe out the rear. Connect it to the downpipe with a piece of flex and it will last years and years and years requiring no maintenance and the job can be done for about 150 US dollars all day long.

Well the solution has been found.

It may not be pretty, but it's certainly effective. The exhaust has a nice little note now, and more importantly, no leaks or puffing from under the car.

Not being a purist, I decided that the resonator was all too much trouble so resolved to replace it with a pair of pipes.

A bit of a rummage in the pile of goodies came up with an old Morris 850 exhaust pipe, which just happens to be the same size (1 1/4") diameter as the original.

I cut off the tail pipes from the resonator and then began to work out how to join the three bits together. The three bits are the pipe from the main muffler, the joiners, and the tailpipes.

I briefly toyed with sleeving and even butt welding, but these were all going to be a bit tedious to achieve. I decided to chase up an exhaust place and get the replacement sections flared (or belled) to allow them to telescope over the existing pipes.

Unfotunately, it seems that no-one uses pipe less than 1 3/4" these days, and the only expanders any of the exhaust places around the part of town I work in were way too big.

Then a phone call to a friend who runs a small engineering works came up trumps. "No worries" quoth he, "Bring over the pipes and we'll see what can be done.

In what seemed to be a jiffy a mandrel was whipped up on the lathe, the ends of the pipes dressed square and the whole lot introduced to a 20 ton press. The result was the ends of the two joining pipes broached out to the correct diameter to slide neatly over the unmolested pipes.

So after a bit of time under the car after work tonight and I've got a new exhaust system on Moby Dick. Wonderful.

If you look at the photos below it should all make sense. You'll also see why I gave up on brazing up the resonator one more time. (I reckon it's got enough bronze in it now to be mounted on a plinth and shown at the Gallery!)

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Cheer, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS rear muffler/resonator-how-.jpg   DS rear muffler/resonator-substitution.jpg   DS rear muffler/resonator-finished-job.jpg   DS rear muffler/resonator-holy-muffler.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

It's pretty tidy underneath, Ray.

Roger

Thanks Roger. Do you mean the underfloor or the new installation?

I'm amazed at how little wear and tear has happened to the floor considering the half dozen or so rallies I've so far inflicted on the old beast.

No-one will recognise the beast with a quiet exhaust and new rear brakes.

Cheers, Pottsy

PS, looking at the photo I just realised I'm missing the neoprene protector under the LH cylinder. Must make a new one before I put the wheels back on.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

DS

I've never seen one of those flat units on a car in Australia. Mort Subite has a new one on the shelf but I doubt he'll ever use it.

...looking at the photo I just realised I'm missing the neoprene protector under the LH cylinder...
    I've never seen this before - but makes sense.
    Was it a mod you added?
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Based on the pictures of that resonator, I think we should give Pottsy a medal for extreme effort to maintain a consumable part. Or should we give him a metal?

/ducks

Does the dance

WoooHoooo
    WoooooHoooooo
    WooHooooo

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Now that's a truely well used muffler!!!

I really think a stainless unit will be best!! Potsy, I never knew how quiet a DS could be until I started one of my DS's last night with one of that units on, now I want it on all my DS's, mm some production will commence here haha.

Your car's underside is really in great shape, Potsy!

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

The neoprene is a mod I added in as part of the preparation for rallying. Talking to Jim Reddiex back in 2005 on the DS 50th Tour highlighted for me the need to prepare the car in all areas. To that end I went over the underside and tried to at least deflect any nasties from the vulnerable spots. Most significant at that end of the car were the rear boots and the fuel tank drain plug.

I have access occasionally to some 5mm thick bright orange neoprene from failed high voltage mats. This has served well in a protective role. I was able to tuck a square of it up and around the drain plug and made a pair of sheets to hang under the rear arms. Looking at the photo I've realised the LH one is missing. I think it was there when I replaced the boot just before Cit-In last year, but I can't be sure I noticed, especially since I've been working under there right next to it and didn't realise it was gone until I saw the photo!

The mind works in mysterious ways!

I didn't want to enclose the boots as such since the best advice I got from Jim was to avoid anywhere a stone or more could be trapped and be squeezed into vulnerable parts. I well remember him describing to me how they used two boots, one inside the other, on the Ampol and World Cup cars. I also remember reading the road test done by Wheels mag of the World Cup car after the event when they (rather embarrassingly) retired the car with an LHM leak from the rear boot after getting a stone caught in there and ripping it!

The same sort of approach was behind creating a replacement front undertray out of checker plate aluminium.

Now if only I could come up with a magic solution to keep the dust out I'd be a happy man!

As far as the artwork resonator is concerned, the last time I had a go at it I simpy couldn't stop. Every time I wire brushed the flux off after brazing one bit, more little rust holes would pop up. It became a challenge to find them all, and at the time I think I did. (And I'd nearly run out of brazing rods!)

Unfortunately a few moves in and out of the shed at times (and short drives) resulted in a buildup of moisture and more rusting internally has created more holes.

It had to stop somewhere!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

^^ Outstanding! ^^

Thanks Roger. Do you mean the underfloor or the new installation?
    Both! Mostly that the underfloor looks well treated and well maintened. But the new installation looks good too. I have never seen such a muffler on a D. More precisely, I have never noticed one.

Roger

Thread Information