My new C5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: My new C5

TRT

Default My new C5

Well I bit the bullet today. Picked up a new (2011) C5 Exclusive. Will post comments as my experience unfolds.

Not my first Cit - I've had a C4 for past 5 years, but this is my first entry into the luxury class.

First impressions. I like the new 2.2 HDi. It promises 150Kw of power and 450 Nm of torque. Those figures were pretty much what the V6 2.7 was offering barely a year ago. I'm not sure I believe the claimed combined fuel cycle of 5.9L/100K, but will wait until it gets run in a bit before i try and test that.

Physically it appears pretty much the same as the 2010 model. In fact except for the daytime LEDs, I think it probably is. Mine was parked next to a (new) 2010 model and I couldn't pick the difference.

So essentially I think the only difference is the engine.

Advertisement

Problems so far? Well, the steering wheel is dang awkward. It is fine if you drive with hands in the quarter-to-three position, but uncomfortable in my usual ten-to-two. To such an extent that I'm going to have to change my driving position after 40 years. It's been designed that way because someone in Citroen has decided that is the way I should drive. Guess I'll get used to it.

Only other issue is one of the switches on the passenger seat control. Seems stuck. Will get it back to dealer to sort out.

Curiously, the service intervals are set at 10,000 K. I thought the intervals were 20K in Europe and 15 K in Australia (because driving conditions are so harsh here apparently). Does anyone know when they changes to 10K intervals?

If there's enough interest I'll keep you posted with how it goes.

Tony

UFO

Congrats on an excellent choice. It will grow on you the more you drive it and you would already know how good the ride is.

Your car should have 2l engine not 2.2. The current C5 does not come with a 2l option.

You will become used to the steering wheel and the benefit of having all the controls in the one place - like you were with the C4.

As for servicing, mine is at 20k km. What does your servicing handbook say?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

No matter what the book says I'd stick to 10K servicing. If you don't that means you won't be lifting the bonnet more than once a year or 18 months, if you drive the average annual distance. If it were a full electric car you could do that, but with a normal ICE you need to give it a bit of TLC.

Maybe you could do what we did with our Xantia when it was newer, I'd change the engine oil and filter every 10K and then get the dealer to do a service every 20K (and this included changing the gearbox oil, something the service book said was not necessary). Our Xantia still drives like it did when new.

The fact the that you feel a little uncomfortable is a good thing, the car is just teaching you to drive it the way it wants. That was always the way of the big Cit, they do things differently. Have you every driven a CX?. I was very impressed when I first drove a C6 and felt a little at sea, if I could afford to buy one I would have the joy of learning to drive it properly, it could take a few weeks if I was lucky.

Compare this to the Hybrid Camry we hired a few months ago, I could have owned it for years I felt so at home - booooring

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

TRT

Default 2011 c5

No, it's the 2011 model. Has a 2.2L engine - they've scrapped the 2.0 for Australia apparently. It's a brand new engine - only starting to appear in PSA and Ford cars (new Mondeo uses it) in Europe in last few months. I don't think Ateco is importing many because they want to sell off the old 2.0s still in stock - hence their cheap drive-away deals at the moment.

Interestingly Australian C5 will also come with a 1.6L micro-hybrid e-HDi option, but I don't know of any here yet. Probably a few months away. Claims 4.6L/100K fuel economy but I suspect that 0-100 figures wil be a bit tardy.

Plus a V6 model as well of course.

One disappointment - I didn't get the "wow" factor with C5 that I got with C4, but it still is a nice car to drive. And better, I think, than the competition. I looked at Passat and Audi, but they were pretty ordinary.

But back to my immediate problem. The new service book recommends 10K services. Not sure it I should go with that. The C4 has 15K services. And as you say the previous C5 had 20K. Any other views on this?

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    The fact the that you feel a little uncomfortable is a good thing, the car is just teaching you to drive it the way it wants. That was always the way of the big Cit, they do things differently. Have you every driven a CX?. I was very impressed when I first drove a C6 and felt a little at sea, if I could afford to buy one I would have the joy of learning to drive it properly, it could take a few weeks if I was lucky.

Greg
    Yeah, I know that's the Cit thing. And one of the things that I find attractive about them (and I'm not mentioning the Q word). Just can't get over my irritation at others telling me how to do something I've evolved over decades. Although I would probably admit, if I wasn't a grumpy old man, that the new position is both more comfortable and provides greater control.

And no, I've only ever driven my C4, no CX. That (and the new C5) is the limit of my experience with the marque.

Hi,

The service intervals for the C5 X7 seem to be all over the place. Mine has 20kkm programmed into the body computer but I have been getting it done well before that (about 15kkm) and the other advisory from the service department is 12 monthly or distance whichever comes sooner. Try hitting the check button on the dash and see how many km you have until next maintenance.

Sounds like a cool engine - I think they keep getting better and more boost turbo performance which means they can drop the engine capacity for the same torque and power. The six speed auto keep the engine between 1500 and 2500 for most everyday driving anyway.

Apart from the engine software go wonky, a dud engine fusebox and the other recalls, the only other issue with mine is having to replace fuel filters about every 15kkm as they get clogged and limit fuel flow to the high pressure diesel pump. This is evidenced by reduced engine power, hesitations and eventually 'depollution errors'. I think I will be buying a bulk lot from O/S once mine is out of warranty.

I will look forward to the newer more frugal models. I hear they will be releasing a hybrid version with electric motors on the back wheels next year. That should be interesting.

Enjoy your new car.

Cheers,

Ken W

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TRT View Post
    No, it's the 2011 model. Has a 2.2L engine - they've scrapped the 2.0 for Australia apparently. It's a brand new engine - only starting to appear in PSA and Ford cars (new Mondeo uses it) in Europe in last few months.
    Are you sure? No evidence of 2.2L on the Citroen UK website: http://info.citroen.co.uk/Assets/pdf...n/brochure.pdf

The Ford Mondeo has just been updated to use the 120kw 2L engine which is the same as the 2L diesel Citroen C5 here.
    Ford: http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satel...apper&site=FOA (scroll down to TDCI)
    Citroen: http://www.citroen.com.au/media/spec...tion_Sheet.pdf

I think you might be mistaking the 2L 100kw engine (like in UFO's car) for the 2L 120kw engine...

Default 10/2 steering position

Hi - enjoy your new toy...I was taught to drive with hands in the ten and two positions when I was in the Police Force (long, long, long time ago) and we've always done that but I followed this up myself a few years ago when I bought a Volvo and was told that the common driving position in Europe was more like 4 - 8 which is why most European cars have slots in the steering wheels in those positions. If you look at formula 1 races the drivers have their hands in that position. Anyway, I have an 07 C5 and seem to drive it more with my hands lower down..I guess I've gotten used to it. We have to move with the times and as they say 'resistance is futile - you will be absorbed!'
    see ya

JBN

And no, I've only ever driven my C4, no CX. That (and the new C5) is the limit of my experience with the marque.
    Had you driven the CX with its single spoke wheel, you would have been spoiled for choice as to where to place your hands. The BX and some 2CVs also have single spoke wheels.

Only problem is that they don't have airbags as there is nowhere to put them on a single spoke wheel. I find the Xantia steering wheel is a retrograde step in hand placement for the same reason as the C5.

John

Default service intervals

Forgot to say that I've been through this with my C5 and suggest you phone Citroen Aust and ask them what the intervals are. I did because I'm afraid the Citroen dealers seem to be indecisive and
    quite honestly it's like trying to nail jelly to the wall. Got the definitive answers I wanted from Citroen. Anyway, don't worry about it, you've got plenty of time to clarify it - enjoy the car!

Well I bit the bullet today. Picked up a new (2011) C5 Exclusive. Will post comments as my experience unfolds.

Not my first Cit - I've had a C4 for past 5 years, but this is my first entry into the luxury class.

First impressions. I like the new 2.2 HDi. It promises 150Kw of power and 450 Nm of torque. Those figures were pretty much what the V6 2.7 was offering barely a year ago. I'm not sure I believe the claimed combined fuel cycle of 5.9L/100K, but will wait until it gets run in a bit before i try and test that.

Physically it appears pretty much the same as the 2010 model. In fact except for the daytime LEDs, I think it probably is. Mine was parked next to a (new) 2010 model and I couldn't pick the difference.

So essentially I think the only difference is the engine.

Problems so far? Well, the steering wheel is dang awkward. It is fine if you drive with hands in the quarter-to-three position, but uncomfortable in my usual ten-to-two. To such an extent that I'm going to have to change my driving position after 40 years. It's been designed that way because someone in Citroen has decided that is the way I should drive. Guess I'll get used to it.

Only other issue is one of the switches on the passenger seat control. Seems stuck. Will get it back to dealer to sort out.

Curiously, the service intervals are set at 10,000 K. I thought the intervals were 20K in Europe and 15 K in Australia (because driving conditions are so harsh here apparently). Does anyone know when they changes to 10K intervals?

If there's enough interest I'll keep you posted with how it goes.

Tony

Likewise I collected my 2011 C5 in the last week or so.

A Tourer, 3.0 litre V6 - it replaced my 18 month old 2.7litre Tourer.

I liked the "old" car ....but the new one is even better. Sensational car.

I've had ID/DS/GS/CX/BX/Xantia's - but this is the best to date (though I still miss the interior of the CX).

I've never been as thrilled with the Citroen dealers...so I may end up doing the oil changes and servicing myself. Irrespective of what the documented service intervals are ..........I'll be doing oil changes at 10K - at the VERY latest.

Regards,

Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Likewise I collected my 2011 C5 in the last week or so.

A Tourer, 3.0 litre V6 - it replaced my 18 month old 2.7litre Tourer.

I liked the "old" car ....but the new one is even better. Sensational car.

I've had ID/DS/GS/CX/BX/Xantia's - but this is the best to date (though I still miss the interior of the CX).

I've never been as thrilled with the Citroen dealers...so I may end up doing the oil changes and servicing myself. Irrespective of what the documented service intervals are ..........I'll be doing oil changes at 10K - at the VERY latest.

Regards,

Rhys
    Very flash Rhys, a new C5 that is. Just to let you know the BX is still going well!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    Are you sure? No evidence of 2.2L on the Citroen UK website: http://info.citroen.co.uk/Assets/pdf...n/brochure.pdf

The Ford Mondeo has just been updated to use the 120kw 2L engine which is the same as the 2L diesel Citroen C5 here.
    Ford: http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satel...apper&site=FOA (scroll down to TDCI)
    Citroen: http://www.citroen.com.au/media/spec...tion_Sheet.pdf

I think you might be mistaking the 2L 100kw engine (like in UFO's car) for the 2L 120kw engine...
    Yes, I'm sure. I noticed (and was a bit surprised) that UK had decided to continue with the 2.0 engines. Here's the announcement about the new 2.2 - HDi 200 DPFS - from Citroen:
    http://b2b.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/f...embre_2010.pdf

and the early (Australian) reviews based on the media release:
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/85273/20...oen-c5-update/

Another point of interest is that the Mondeo quotes 147KW (200 BHP) of power for the same engine. Presume this means they've slightly detuned it - or maybe they just had trouble rounding the BHP/KW conversion.

I'll provide more feedback on the engine after I drive it a bit more.

Tony

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Hi,

The service intervals for the C5 X7 seem to be all over the place. Mine has 20kkm programmed into the body computer but I have been getting it done well before that (about 15kkm) and the other advisory from the service department is 12 monthly or distance whichever comes sooner. Try hitting the check button on the dash and see how many km you have until next maintenance.

Sounds like a cool engine - I think they keep getting better and more boost turbo performance which means they can drop the engine capacity for the same torque and power. The six speed auto keep the engine between 1500 and 2500 for most everyday driving anyway.

Apart from the engine software go wonky, a dud engine fusebox and the other recalls, the only other issue with mine is having to replace fuel filters about every 15kkm as they get clogged and limit fuel flow to the high pressure diesel pump. This is evidenced by reduced engine power, hesitations and eventually 'depollution errors'. I think I will be buying a bulk lot from O/S once mine is out of warranty.

I will look forward to the newer more frugal models. I hear they will be releasing a hybrid version with electric motors on the back wheels next year. That should be interesting.

Enjoy your new car.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Thanks Ken for the heads-up about the fuel filter - I'll watch that.

As to checking the computer, yeah I'll get there in next few days. I'm working through the handbook in priority order. You know - seat massage function first, seat heater second, how to start the car third . . . .

Tony

Fellow Frogger

A recently revised DW12C 2.2 HDi engine does exist and is used in other models/makes overseas. So, it's quite possible, but I'd have thought it's more likely to supplement the range than replace the recently released 2 litre. The last model C5 had both 2.0 and 2.2 HDi engines available concurrently too. Since they all look alike from outside, the VIN is the best way to pick the engine and will have 4H? in it if it belongs to the DW12 2.2 HDi engine family (i.e. earlier C5's had 4HX in 2.2 4 speed, 4HS for 2.2 6 speed Twin Turbos). If it contains RHR or RHH then it's a 2 litre, RHH being the current DW10C engine on offer here since late 2010.

The 1.6 variant would be interesting and you'd have to think some buyers would be blind to the performance when they see the small capacity engine. It would be interesting to see how it performs.

Congratulations on the purchase. It should be a very different proposition to your old C4 and you'll certainly notice the improved ride comfort that comes with the hydropneumatic suspension.
    Last edited by David S; 15th April 2011 at 04:29 PM.

jmn

TRT

There was a 2.2 HDi available in some markets but only with a 6 speed manual. Can I ask what the RRP was for your car?

The Aisin auto is now all but overpowered by the new 2.2 engine. There now seems little point to the 6 pot HDi as nobody makes a transverse auto capable of matching the 600 Nm torque of the Jaguar version of this engine. What a shame.

Re oil changes. I know a couple of owners who subscribe to an oil monitoring service. At designated intervals you collect a sample of your oil and send it off. You receive a full report back with a notice of whether or not to change oil.

Keep in mind that you have superfine injectors spraying under 2000 bar pressure versus 1650 bar for the previous generation engines. Be very careful of the fuel you use!
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Personally, if the handbook is saying oil changes at 10000klm, then that is that as far as I would be concerned....

...it is a completely different scenario to change oil more frequently than recommended, but do to so less frequently is asking for problems...

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhic View Post
    Personally, if the handbook is saying oil changes at 10000klm, then that is that as far as I would be concerned....

...it is a completely different scenario to change oil more frequently than recommended, but do to so less frequently is asking for problems...
    Thanks Ronhic. Yeah, problem is not that they recommend oil changes every 10K, but that they recommend a "service" every 10K. I don't object to the oil changes every 10K. I do this with the the C4, even though recommended changes are set at 15K.

But have a problem paying $400 for it through the dealer. Extra $250 appears to be for topping up the windscreen washer fluid and checking the tyre pressures.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Very flash Rhys, a new C5 that is. Just to let you know the BX is still going well!

Cheers
    How did you know it was me John.....you psychic? (They might have burnt you as a witch years ago).

I ticked every option box with the C5 - so yes, it is it is flash.

Let's not forget the H van though.....kind of dilutes the flash a little.

Regards,

Rhys

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by jmn View Post
    TRT

There was a 2.2 HDi available in some markets but only with a 6 speed manual. Can I ask what the RRP was for your car?

Re oil changes. I know a couple of owners who subscribe to an oil monitoring service. At designated intervals you collect a sample of your oil and send it off. You receive a full report back with a notice of whether or not to change oil.

Keep in mind that you have superfine injectors spraying under 2000 bar pressure versus 1650 bar for the previous generation engines. Be very careful of the fuel you use!
    Thanks JMN but this is really bemusing. Not suggesting you are, but others seem to think that I have been sold a 2.0 masquerading as a 2.2.

Car was $57990 RRP - same as old 2.0. But has a sunroof (which I didn't particularly want) at extra $2000. Apparently Ateco brought 3 of the 2.2 Exclusives into Australia last month. I got the third one, a Gris Aluminium. Other two were White and Black - not sure which cities the others went to. No plans to import manual transmission according to my info - only the automatic is available.

Might be a sales line, but they reckon they will not import any more for around 3-4 months. Which I think is because they want to get rid of the old 2.0 Comforts that are still around. Incidentally I had a lot of trouble registering it because the ACT database had not been updated with 2.2 model when it was registered yesterday.

Interesting about checking state of oil - do you know how much it costs? And where it is available? Not sure I'd want to subscribe to this, but am interested in finding out more about how it is done.

Re fuel quality. Yeah, I worked out with the C4 that you need to avoid Caltex fuel, and I don't go anywhere near no-name discount dealers. Good point about the 2000 bar pressures making this even more of an issue. Will watch that.

Tony

Ahhh....so I may get to see it driving around Canberra then...

Watch the rear brake pads. Mine were changed at 17000km and one disc needed grinding. At 12 months they'd worn more than the front and I switched off the automatic parking brake. Others here have needed new discs. No warning for rear disc wear in the 2009 model and later ones probably. My dealer's mechanic conceded it is one of the weak points of the car. The car is so quiet and the ride is brilliant. I noticed it made me a more civilized driver, but sometimes I like chucking it about, and it seems to like it.

Yes - everybody avoid Caltex diesel. I filled my 07 C5-2.2 with BP twice and put a shot of Nulon diesel injector cleaner in it and it definately goes a lot better AND the fuel consumption has improved by 1 and 1/2 l/100.

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhic View Post
    Ahhh....so I may get to see it driving around Canberra then...
    It should be the only silver C5 with daytime LEDs so guess I'll stand out. At least for a while. Unless Mitchell (above) drives through - he has a 2011 V6, which will also have daytime LEDs.

TRT

jmn

I currently have two issues.

(1) Driver's door creaking. Mechanism has been replaced once but the fault is now back. Maybe the door is not hanging properly.

(2) Park brake is not dsengaging properly on application of the foot brake. Dealer made an "adjustment" last week but this is clearly not a permanent solution. Methinks another brake cylinder is in the offing.

No issues with brake pad wear so far. Mind you, I wouldn't expect any at 20k kms!

You seem to have benefitted very well from the strong dollar viz euro, TRT. Damn good buy, that was.

Enjoy!

Mark.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread Information