Stainless Id 19 exhaust builder sought for first nose
  • Register
  • Help

Default Stainless Id 19 exhaust builder sought for first nose

Hi all. Time for a new muffler and exhaust tubes for my first nose id 19. Prefer stainless as I would like the same 20 plus years I've had from my plumbers copper tubes!

Advertisement

Grateful for any tips. I know they are available os but I'd prefer to give the job to a local.

Tim

Tadpole

Default Mufflers

Gooday,

There is a chap in Maleny, Qld. that I am sure can help you. He has a number of magnificent stainless mufflers at the moment but they are for a DS. He is a very competent Citroen maintenance person and a great fan of Citroens. If you give him a call I'm sure he can help. 07 5494 2539.
    Mickk.

Tim, try Wayne Haberfield in Warrnambool. 5562 6989. Best exhaust bloke I know. Apparently he has made stainless exhaust systems for DSes before.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Tim, try Wayne Haberfield in Warrnambool. 5562 6989. Best exhaust bloke I know. Apparently he has made stainless exhaust systems for DSes before.

Roger
    Can he do you the oval center exhaust with fishtail
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post

Roger
    Russell Wade (CCOCA member) had some early systems made up years ago by someone down that way - may be the same guy. I have one on the '58 ID19 and I have no doubt that it will outlast me.
    roger

Great leads thanks gents. Onto it. Yes I've been doing without the fishtale for too long!

Sorry to burst your fishy bubble gents, but the fishtail was DS only, and only on cars before February 1958 with the single oval tailpipe.

Roger

My first pipes had groovy little deflectors at the end of each

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

First nose Ds had the tail pipes running down the centre line of the car..and despite the inverted U shape cover under the gearbox part of the journey the bit under the engine is exposed to all sorts of oil drips, both static and wind driven guaranteed to make unpleasant cooked oil smells.

In the days of second nose IDs the tailpipes were routed to go aft from the under seat muffler band in doing so offered supposedly better aerodynamics, utilized a former void..the first nose IDs had a totally flat floor and as the engine pipe went at the side of the sump, less likelihood of bad burning smells..so far all that is old news...but in Europe the twin rear tailpipes did not follow a straight line from the muffler to the rear bumper but swooped around behind the left rear wheel and exited gas wheel of the car..there was also a small flat resonator fitted on some versions to the rearmost bend behind the rear wheel...

They were not available here in those pre Ebay and internet days..instead we fitted the small diameter chrome plated resonators that used to be attached to the transverse rear mufflers on VW beetles..really worthwhile mod to reduce some exhaust boom.. (another D quirk being the poor positioning of the rubber exhaust hanger straps onto their captive bolt onto thin pressed metal bits of the floor instead of some more substantial and less NVH prone solid panel....or where panels are joined or braced.
    You will need to ensure that the front muffler has plenty of clearance or rubbing on the panels under the spare wheel will drive you crazy.... especially regarding the UPPER surface...the extra length of the engine pipe and muffler hanging out in front works as a level like a lever like projection and all engine and gearbox movement is exaggerated .. especially up and down movements under acceleration and braking as the machinery moves on its mounts...ever driven a D without the bonnet on and watched all the oily bits flog around ? There is a surprising amount of movement possible under torque application and braking actions.

M. Middlemoon, have you considered also the positioning of a short bulb inline on the engine to muffler pipe next to the radiator bracketry and under the nose of the air cleaner "snorkel''why not upgrade your first nose ID to DS status in that department...being constantly hot in that position it would last forever.

Thanks I'll have a poke around and talk to the maker. Great ideas!

A few years since Tim's posting and Harriet still has the same muffler. Well, I've been looking at getting it replaced and US and European sources seem to be out of stock - the cheaper priced SS ones - or in stock and twice the price. Perhaps paying close to $1500 for a SS muffler alone is good buying?

I was thinking of bringing the car and a copy of the parts manual to a muffler mob near me but I fear the sound of their groaning about CitroŽns and their (supposed) quirks but I'm sure if would save me at least $500.

I'm not being stingy - I just don't want to pay $1000 more for something when there's no need to. I'm interested in getting what it's meant to have in terms of shape and functionality and not looking for a thrifty shortcut.

Does anyone have a contact in Australia for 1st nose D muffler these days?

I'd go for this, but of course they're out of stock...

Exhaust system Citroen DS 59>62, installed from 12/1959 till 08/1962,complete, stainless steel. Without assembly material!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Donat, give Wayne Haberfield a ring.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Hi all. Time for a new muffler and exhaust tubes for my first nose id 19. Prefer stainless as I would like the same 20 plus years I've had from my plumbers copper tubes!

Grateful for any tips. I know they are available os but I'd prefer to give the job to a local.

Tim
    Hello, Tim
    Are you back? Bought another ID????
    I still have your English starter for D and rubber hammer + some tool you left here. I can drop them off on the home after work!
    Please let me know.
    Mel from now closed CItro told me any place can do but they will modify muffler from other car . Shop he used ,I cannot remember where, I think it was north Melbourne somewhere.
    KAZU
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 15th January 2014 at 09:16 AM.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Thread Information