CX Muffler for series 1 2400
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX Muffler for series 1 2400

G'day All, does anyone know any stockists rear mufflers for CX 2400?
    Cheers Gerry

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Cheers Gerry
    I don't know who does now, but someone used to. Geoffery Howatson bought a job lot of Australian made Citroen-spec mufflers and exhaust pipes some years ago from over East.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hopefully I have sourced one from Greece http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180639937526. He assures me that the inlet pipe is single flair and not the bell mouth shown in the picture.
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Gerry,

I would have thought *any* universal would suffice. After all they flow enough for most 6cylinder cars out here

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Midas fitted one to the Prestige a few years ago. From the catalogue of CX mufflers available, it took a while to work out which was the suitable one. There was about 1.5 pages of CX rear mufflers !!!!

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

Hopefully I have sourced one from Greece http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180639937526. He assures me that the inlet pipe is single flair and not the bell mouth shown in the picture.
    Cheers Gerry
    I have one,as new,it has SWIFT label; contact me at [email protected] as i am a bit closer than Greece,A ndy.

I have already purchased the one from Greece . Many thanks to all that have added suggestions. I particularly want the real deal not a cobbled up universal muffler, and this one is made by Walker who were suppliers to the factory of OE mufflers.
    Cheers Gerry

Gerry,
    If it is a comfort, I purchased a D Series muffler from the same seller, also built by Walker.
    The seller was honest in his description, helpful and well able to converse in English.
    Mine has a couple of minor dents, I paid a price commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica View Post
    Gerry,
    If it is a comfort, I purchased a D Series muffler from the same seller, also built by Walker.
    The seller was honest in his description, helpful and well able to converse in English.
    Quite a comprehensive range too. I can't find one for me with free postage (or without) but will keep looking. Thanks for this information!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica View Post
    Gerry,
    G'Day Richo, That is reassuring news. It seems easier to deal on line for parts these days. I know it does not help our Aussie purveyors much but we are more and more leaning towards a world market. I have just recently purchased TA brake cylinder rubbers from Argentina GS tail lights from Greece. Ligarex, CX brake pads and Head gasket set from England. DS19 head gasket and rocker cover gasket from France. The list goes on. The amazing thing is that they arrive on my doorstep and save me from having to drive 100-150 kilometres to collect them, and the cost is generally much less than the amounts that we are charged here in Australia. I believe that our local dealers need to get onto internet selling if they wish to compete and also need to get real with their pricing structure. The only downside is not being able to handle and inspect the goods before purchase. Much of this problem can be avoided by asking pertinent questions and nearly all sellers are happy to oblige with accurate and honest answers. I guess that is the benefit of the feed back system.
    I have only come unstuck once. I ordered a review mirror for the CX. It wasn't the dipping night view mirror that I expected. I put this down to my own fault for not asking and buying in the heat of the moment. I no way can the seller be held liable!!
    Cheers Gerry
    Last edited by gerrypro; 10th April 2011 at 06:41 PM.

G'Day Richo, That is reassuring news. It seems easier to deal on line for parts these days. I know it does not help our Aussie purveyors much but we are more and more leaning towards a world market. I have just recently purchased TA brake cylinder rubbers from Argentina GS tail lights from Greece. Ligarex, CX brake pads and Head gasket set from England. DS19 head gasket and rocker cover gasket from France. The list goes on. The amazing thing is that they arrive on my doorstep and save me from having to drive 100-150 kilometres to collect them, and the cost is generally much less than the amounts that we are charged here in Australia. I believe that our local dealers need to get onto internet selling if they wish to compete and also need to get real with their pricing structure. The only downside is not being able to handle and inspect the goods before purchase. Much of this problem can be avoided by asking pertinent questions and nearly all sellers are happy to oblige with accurate and honest answers. I guess that is the benefit of the feed back system.
    I have only come unstuck once. I ordered a review mirror for the CX. It wasn't the dipping night view mirror that I expected. I put this down to my own fault for not asking and buying in the heat of the moment. I no way can the seller be held liable!!
    Cheers Gerry
    I agree with all that pretty much. Some of the small "non dealer" Citroen part folk are up there though and deserve support.

Recently I have bought parts on-line for my 4CV Renault in Australia, Argentina, Cyprus, France and UK, and parts for the Citroens in UK, Holland, Germany and France. Some things my local dealer says are NLA (for the Xantia mind you!) and makes no offer to track down are quite easy to find too.

We did find a BX windscreen in Perth at least.

Cheers
    Last edited by JohnW; 10th April 2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Default CX muffler

Hi folks
    I think I have a S/S one down in the shed!!
    Woody

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

pretty sure for around the $75 mark there is a 6cyl falcon muffler that is identical
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    pretty sure for around the $75 mark there is a 6cyl falcon muffler that is identical
    I assume that is' tongue in cheek'
    Cheers Gerry

It probably is identical to the muffler on his car.... Due to the fact somone has thrown a universal on there (that's all I have ever done, anything that'll flow enough for a modern V6 is more than adequate for a 40year old 4cylinder plodder ).

Having said that, the exhaust sytem on my CX was hauled over the UK by smiffy, travelled to australia in buttercup (buttercup Bobs DS19) to the Citin where it travelled down to ballarat in a caravan behind the tired old CX. Talk about a well traveled exhaust sytem!!! (it's harder to cobble a decent system together for that car though, they are twin system from the downpipe back .. so twin pipes through the muffler and resonators to the back of the car... makes access under there "tight").

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I assume that is' tongue in cheek'
    Cheers Gerry
    no i'm serious

Alan S put me onto that a few years ago when i had my CX and it needed a new rear muffler

when i went to the exhaust place to price them they said the same thing and they had done the same thing to a few CX's when they had the business in the blue mountains

the CX muffler is identical to one of the older falcons
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    no i'm serious

Alan S put me onto that a few years ago when i had my CX and it needed a new rear muffler

when i went to the exhaust place to price them they said the same thing and they had done the same thing to a few CX's when they had the business in the blue mountains

the CX muffler is identical to one of the older falcons
    Is that just the body of the muffler or the inlet and exit pipes as well?
    Cheers Gerry

Is that just the body of the muffler or the inlet and exit pipes as well?
    Cheers Gerry
    i couldn't tell you now as it has been a couple of years since i spoke about the muffler to the exhaust people and of course talking to Alan about it

there may even be an old post of his kicking around here that explains it all, i'll have a look when i get a spare 5 mins
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Cheers Gerry
    Hi Gerry,

I got tired of replacing the rear unit on my 2500 every few years & took the whole caboose to Finnex here in Perth, where they made me up a stainless steel replica, it works fine.

Glad you guys over there have woken up to Aussie "suppliers", it s big world out there.

Regards,
    Chris
    Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stuart View Post
    Hi Gerry,

I got tired of replacing the rear unit on my 2500 every few years & took the whole caboose to Finnex here in Perth, where they made me up a stainless steel replica, it works fine.

Glad you guys over there have woken up to Aussie "suppliers", it s big world out there.

Regards,
    Chris
    Perth.
    G'Day Chris. I will see if this muffler will do the trick and if it proves short lived I may go the route of a stainless replica. Roger says he knows of a good exhaust man in Warrnambool. I may be tempted to give him a try. I reason that because of the length of the system and the large central muffler that the rear does not get sufficiently warm to dry out properly. Add to this the angle of the muffler when installed it is no wonder they all fail at the lowest front point. I am going to wrap the central muffler in Glass tape made for exhaust headers in order to keep as much heat in the system as possible. I may also treat the Y pipe and the pipes forward of the muffler to the same luxury. Who knows it may also help fight the dreaded heat ingress through the floor pan.
    Cheers Gerry

Reading the various comments regarding the rather large assortment of specific mufflers reminded me of a question I have never been able resolve.

So the CX has a ton of different mufflers spanning both petrol and diesel motors ranging from the low side of 2 litres to the 2.5 Turbo motor. I could see the need to have a different muffler for the low and high ends of these motors, but is there really that much of a difference between a 2400 and 2500 IE motor to justify a completely different part #?

I ordered a muffler off of ebay UK some time ago and am still not convinced it is the right one. It looks the same, but who the heck knows. I've been concerned about the side effects of fitting the wrong one, but now that I've read about people fitting Holden mufflers on the CX, I'm not that worried.

So other than appeasing the French Muffler Makers Union, what's up with the untold number of CX mufflers?
    Last edited by alan505; 15th April 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Seriously ............... fit the cheapest "universal" resonator back there you can find. I'd be absolutely stunned if anyone could pick the performance difference between an aftermarket and original item. You see all the modern exhaust components will flow far more effectively given the power output of modern engine than they did 30years ago! I always used to remove the resonator and simply put up with it being a little more boomy on the over-run.

The only reason I bothered fitting a genuine exhaust to the turbo charged model is it's a "twin" system, so trying to cobble together something that fits will not be easy. Besides on the turbo the mufflers appear to be "empty" boxes either way, the turbo charger itself does most of the sound suppression. I imagine the factorty "tuned" it's exhaust from manifold to twin tailpipes. Certainly it's far more "drivable" then nearly all 80's turbo charged cars.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Muffler arrived today, brilliant quality with bright shiny tail pipe. Delivered to my door. No expense for petrol to go to a dealer and collect it. $131 all up.
    Cheers Gerry
    Last edited by gerrypro; 20th April 2011 at 08:56 AM.

Thread Information