BX Weird hydraulic leak
  • Register
  • Help

Default BX Weird hydraulic leak

My BX19TZI Has just developed a weird Hydraulic leak. If you leave the car in normal drive setting it is fine, but if you raise the suspension to higher settings and lower it, it pours out fluid dramatically. It does not appear to happen when you leave the car to settle by itself from standard drive setting. This did prove a little embarrassing today when I had the front tyres changed as it left a huge green puddle all over the mechanics floor.

Advertisement

Any suggestions? DS motors is booked out for a couple of weeks and I have to drive from Brisbane to Armidale on Wednesday.

The leak seems to be coming from the area of the octopus though this was replaced just recently....

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
    My BX19TZI Has just developed a weird Hydraulic leak. If you leave the car in normal drive setting it is fine, but if you raise the suspension to higher settings and lower it, it pours out fluid dramatically. It does not appear to happen when you leave the car to settle by itself from standard drive setting. This did prove a little embarrassing today when I had the front tyres changed as it left a huge green puddle all over the mechanics floor.

Any suggestions? DS motors is booked out for a couple of weeks and I have to drive from Brisbane to Armidale on Wednesday.

The leak seems to be coming from the area of the octopus though this was replaced just recently....
    Just a thought, have you over filled the LHM tank. If it leaks when raised to full height it may have too much fluid?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

If it isn't over-filled, then I'd wonder whether there is a very obvious return line connection that has come apart.

Settling gently, the car is depressurising through the brake valve, but dropping by changing the height corrector maybe is directing some fluid another way. I'd check the (front) strut return lines too, just to be sure.

Having a 19TZi myself, I'll be interested to hear the outcome. Have you ever had to fix your horns?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

Check exactly where the LHM is leaking from. I would have suspected the front strut return lines, given that it only happens when the car has gone to maximim height. When this happens, the front strut return lines are stretched more than normal, opening up some small holes and allowing more fluid to escape. In normal mode, the same hole just weeps and rarely leaves a puddle. A quick check is to remove the front wheels and check how dry or wet the strut return lines are.

If that is not the cause and the engine compartment could do with a degrease, degrease the engine compartment and underneath the engine and let it dry. Then do some Citroen aerobics and see where the leak is. A clean engine bay quickly highlights problems.

I make a habit of collecting bits of light coloured carpet from council cleanups. It has two purposes. Firstly it shows where the leaks are and secondly it absorbs the mess. Also handy when you change the oil and oil filter.

John

Alas the Horns are fine on mine but I hope yours is an easy fix. I wish it was as simple as over filling, that is what I thought first but alas there was minimal fluid left when I left the tyre place. I couldn't see any thing when the wheel was off it appeared to be just above the octopus that clump of tubes at the drivers side front.

Hopefully it will be fine for the drive to Armidale I will take lots of spare fluid just in case

JBN

Another place where a BX can leak is the fat tube from the LHM tank to the pump. This is not part of the octopus as such and may not have been replaced. If that is leaking, I would not attempt a long trip without replacing it.

I have replaced that tube with a similar dimension clear plastic hose from Bunnings. It works quite well and will last quite a while, though by choice I would always use an original part. It is not a bad idea to have a metre of that tubing in the boot of your car just in case.

I cannot see why it would play up because you put the suspension on high other than the fact that you are pumping more LHM into the system to raise the car, and therefore, with the greater flow rate and the car remaining in the one spot, the leak can leave more of a mess.

If the car was at normal height and the height lever wasn't changed, then the pump wouldn't be working and sucking in LHM from the reservoir, hence no leak at that point in time.

Remember, if all else fails and the rate of leakage exhausts your supply of LHM, you can use an automatic transmission fluid in its place. Then, at your conveniance, replace all the fluid with new LHM after cleaning the filters. I also bleed the brakes when I do an LHM change to replace the fluid in the dead ends of the hydraulic system.

John

Tadpole

Octopus is not fun to play with. Suggest first check the return lines from the front struts, as they eventually perish due to up and down movement.
    A new octopus will cost about $160, but it will take a lot of time and effort to refit.
    Don't forget to bleed the brakes after a low fluid event.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Hyd leak

Check the return line for the front height corrector. It has a habilt of failure as it has a small radius bend in it. It is located close to the drivers side strut, down low near the outer CV loint.
    Lots of luck.

Michael
    BX TRI estate
    BX16v (this really is an ex McLeod race car)
    C5 HDI

I'd agree with Michael on this one

Turn the wheels to RH end stop.
    Arm yourself with a good torchlamp.
    Then do the full height setting and lowering test again and observe whats going on in the vicinity of the steering pinion valve using the torchlamp.

Bet you will se a nice spray of LHM in there from the HC return line sharp bend.
    The return line is plugged onto a brass stud screwed into the HC.
    The stud easily (ahhh well ...) unscrews and can be replaced by a length of 3.5mm standard rigid pipe with union and seal.
    Using a 1.2m length of piping makes it fairly easy to join the pipe with the cut-back hose at the reservoir.
    The hose will be one of the 2 moulded to the larger dia PR return hose.
    (the other hose being the rear HC return)

One of my "favorite" repairs over the years with many BX'es

Cheers and have fun

Well It made it and has not had any leaks whilst letting it settle normally. I don't think it can be the octopus as this was replaced at last service. I will try the other recommendations when I get home. The fuel consumption for the 6 hour drive was fantastic it averaged 7L/100km. I am happy with that! and it is really good to overtake... much faster then my old volvo which was a five cylinder and ten years newer!

Go the BX... working heater would be nice absolutely freezing in Armidale.

JBN

Well It made it and has not had any leaks whilst letting it settle normally. I don't think it can be the octopus as this was replaced at last service. I will try the other recommendations when I get home. The fuel consumption for the 6 hour drive was fantastic it averaged 7L/100km. I am happy with that! and it is really good to overtake... much faster then my old volvo which was a five cylinder and ten years newer!

Go the BX... working heater would be nice absolutely freezing in Armidale.
    What is the problem with the heater. Is there water going through the heater core? If there isn't, then the problem is possibly with the heater tap and it is jammed closed. Or is the problem with the heater fans which don't work or only work intermittently?

On the two BXs I have owned, both have had to have the heater tap replaced because the plastic tubes broke and they started to leak water, creating a heated indoor swimming pool in the drivers foot well. The heat control rheostat warped over the years and became useless and the fan controller hidden in the blower unit in the plenum chamber also died.

The problem these days is finding new replacements, particularly for the heater tap. If the problem is the heater fan speed control, the picture below shows a modification using some perspex to apply more pressure to the dial to keep it in better contact with the rheostat circuit.

When all else fails, wear long johns and ugg boots.

John

JBN

Sorry, forgot to add the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BX Weird hydraulic leak-bx-fan-switch-mod.jpg  

That looks a lot nicer than the yellowed dusty control panel in my BX

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    That looks a lot nicer than the yellowed dusty control panel in my BX
    It was a photo of an English BX, unaffected by either dust or sun.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Sorry, forgot to add the picture.
    Very neat! I've just lost the lowest fan speed, and bet that is the cause.

David Cavanagh has a couple of BXs I think - we should get the taps saved!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The control for heating is totally jammed won't move and the plastic things in the fly wall have been bypassed. I will hunt down a replacement eventually but we don't really need heaters in Brisbane. I have a good set of long jons......The ac works well though!

Thread Information